Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F Chop

Default Re: F Chop

I'm noobie by to be sure. I am learning the FFCP chords right now but I like to use the 2335 for most of my Fs because it is easyer than the first F for me. SO actually I would like to pose a question to you: does the FFCP not lend itself to chopping for some reason? because I don't really notice it too much. then again I am new to BG and havent seen a lot to begin with.
    (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have been wondering it for a while)

For the F in part 2 of Billy it sounds nice to my ear to go up from 5301 to 578x then to the 5578 C then walk down to the 2235 Am. This is a nice melodic touch.

Quote Originally Posted by joshtree View Post
    I'm noobie by to be sure. I am learning the FFCP chords right now but I like to use the 2335 for most of my Fs because it is easyer than the first F for me. SO actually I would like to pose a question to you: does the FFCP not lend itself to chopping for some reason? because I don't really notice it too much. then again I am new to BG and havent seen a lot to begin with.
    (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have been wondering it for a while)
    FFcP is more of a way to practice and play scales than a chording technique. Four fingers, closed position is good for chopping because with all four strings fretted it's easy to stop the strings from ringing by simply relaxing your fretting hand and allowing the strings to come off the frets. But there is nothing mystical about chopping. It's just a way to strum the mandolin. FWIW, the doubled third in your 2335 F chord tends to weaken the chord. Try either 5335 or just 233x. There's (again) nothing wrong with chopping the 5301 F. Just practice muting the strings immediately.
    Last edited by Jim Broyles; Mar-03-2011 at 7:57pm.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me