Thread: Demand for Fender Electric Mandolin reissue?

Default Demand for Fender Electric Mandolin reissue?

I realized that I'd like to own a Fender Electric Mandolin, original design, but cannot afford one. So I sent an email to the Fender company suggesting that if they built some, they'd sell them, whether as cheap Squiers or under the Fender name.

If anybody agrees with me, here's the email:

consumerrelations@fender.com

Maybe they'll listen, and maybe they won't. Considering the number of similar products out there, you'd think there's a demand. They reissued Fender lap steels recently, so - ?

Default Re: Demand for Fender Electric Mandolin reissue?

If I were you I'd take a gander at the J. Bovier electric mandolins... I think that would do you well at a much, much lower price point.

i had a mandocaster for a few months but sold it cause it only had 4 strings . the J.Bovier 5- string sunburst mandocaster model is definitely in my future

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I checked about five years ago on having one of these made through the Fender Guitar Custom shop. At the time it was possible, probably still is, albeit at about six times the price of a JBovier EMC.

Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

They made , via Korean contract factory, a semi solid body 5 and 8 string, FM 60 and 61.
    they are for resale, used, occasionally..

but as lots of other companies make a Strat/Tele clone, there are non Fender Corp supplied e-mandos..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You can always hope that one of the lucky FM-984 owners will decide to cough up. I actually had mine on the block, briefly, not so long ago, but there were no takers.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks for the useful replies. I'll probably wind up with a modern solidbody such as the ones mentioned.

Since I am an aficionado of the vintage Fender design aesthetic, I would enjoy owning one that looked exactly like the originals, with the Strat-shaped peghead, the Fender logo, the single pickup, etc. And a nice rectangular tweed case too.

For this reason, I suggested to Fender that there might be others like me who would appreciate an affordable, more-or-less precise duplicate of the old-style instrument.

There were some korean reissues made a few years back. Discontinued now, check out the fender section of MrMando's emando website for more information.

I don't know if they would be any better than a J. Bovier (people here seem to love the JBs), but would certainly be cheaper than getting FCS to knock you something up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1582.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	69105  
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Blog Entries

Hi PositivePicker; I'm aware that you want something in appearance as close as possible to the vintage Fenders.
    However, I recently acquired a JBovier EMC-4 in vintage sunburst (a link to pics is in my signature below), and although I'm still in the "honeymoon phase", I think it's safe to say that I would not consider trading it for any other e-mando. The playability, build quality, and tone are quite remarkable IMO.
    Also, J.L Smith makes well reviewed 'Tele-inspired' e-mandos that sell for under $1K.
    Keep us posted on your search.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

A Fender person promptly responded to my email, to say that he would forward my suggestion to the marketing department.

Here's an original Mandocaster for sale ... too many zeros, though.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Here's an original Mandocaster for sale ... too many zeros, though.
    Wow! I'd be tempted to sell mine if I could get that for it. Then again, take away a zero or two and I'd be tempted to buy another one.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Not an ice cube's chance that a '74 Mandocaster is worth 10 large. This guy is living on the moon.

Ten thousand dollars spelt out with letters one way to ward of the serious emails regarding the zero key sticking.

I assume anyone shelling out 10k for anything would know what a similar thing could be had for.
    I hope to this guy's sake he did not shell $8k and adjusting for inflation.
    Perhaps he has seen how Loar signed MMs have increased in price since 1979 and applying the same rate?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I take it from the discussion the mandolin referenced by mrmando was advertised at 10k? It's no longer listed. It's really difficult to establish a price on the electric mandolins. I have had people suggest anywhere from $1,200 to $3,000 as a fair selling price for one I have but there isn't a place to price similar instruments. You can ask a consigner to appraise it for you but then how do you know for sure they won't low-ball you to have a chance at it themselves or maybe to help someone on a buyer list?

Maybe he bought it a the auction of Eric Clapton's stuff, and has provenance certification
    documenting that it was his. deifying adds to price.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Well, John, yours is a tricky one. Pre-1960 Mandocasters are the most valuable; post-1965 are the least valuable. Yours is a '64. If it were a standard sunburst I'd expect it would be worth $1400-1500 or so. But you have an original custom finish, which might be more difficult to sell but should be worth more, I'd think: $1800-2000 or thereabouts.

I couldn't afford it at that price, so no need to think I'm lowballing it! You could try selling for $3K and see how much of a premium you can get for candy apple red.

Charles Johnson at Mandolin World could probably give you a reasonable estimate.
    dwight in NC

Oh sweet, we have a JB dealer in town. I didn't even know about that guitar shop way down in the west end near ubc. I'll have to make a trip out there and see one in person

Oops! mrmando, thanks for your input. I lost this thread and just now ran across it again. I may take your advice and hope I don't kick myself some day when I see another sell for 10K! LOL! I doubt that one mentioned above sold for that but still funny. I have the hots for a 10-string acoustic mandolin so maybe there is the incentive I need to put mine on the block. mrmando, why are the pre-1960s most valuable? Is just the extra age or production numbers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    There were some korean reissues made a few years back. Discontinued now, check out the fender section of MrMando's emando website for more information.

I don't know if they would be any better than a J. Bovier (people here seem to love the JBs), but would certainly be cheaper than getting FCS to knock you something up.

DANG! I NEED THAT CASE!

BTW, I love love love my JBovier EMC 5. Plays like a dream, sounds like a Les Paul. If you're looking for a Fender sound, then you'll need to modify the JBovier or ask one of the more than capable luthiers who frequent this board.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMandocaster View Post
    mrmando, why are the pre-1960s most valuable? Is just the extra age or production numbers?
    Well, '57 and '58 give you the most desirable features: maple fretboard + contour body. Fretboards went to rosewood in '59. The Mary Kay whites are generally more collectible than sunburst because there were fewer of them (pretty much gone after '59). But the '56s don't have contour bodies.

If you're looking for an EXACT replica of the originals and you're using the reissue of the Fender lap steel as a reference point, I'm afraid you will be greatly disappointed. That thing had very little in common with the originals.

If I had your needs and didn't want to shell out for vintage (or if you HAD to have a 5/8 string with the original mandocaster shape), I would buy a cheap old import Fender (forgot the model numbers) and build a solid body that fit its neck.