Thread: Thile & Orchestra

Default Thile & Orchestra

i can't believe that i didn't see this in the Mandolin Cafe calendar;
    http://www.livelytimes.com/lt/event/evqdrgzssl/
    http://www.greatfallstribune.com/art...yssey=nav|head
    i got tickets and, hopefully, i'll get to shake hands afterwards. i need some of that mojo to rub off on me!
    i'll give You my take on it tomorrow.

Default Re: Thile & Orchestra

I've seen him a few times and got him to sign my old Gibby.

Have a good time.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I haven't heard the concerto, but I sincerely doubt the headline in the blurb you linked to: “Bluegrass Meets Classical”, is an accurate description! Hope you are having a great time, and I look forward to your report.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Punch Brothers in Bozeman March 7. Big news for the cabin-fevered here in the frozen hinterlands.

I saw him in Scottsdale on Thursday. It was amazing! After the concerto he played 4 solo pieces, that was a real treat. My wife and I managed to get seats in the second row so we were right up front to see him pickin on that loar.

While i've been exposed to more modern music i don't really have a taste for the dissonance and timing changes that are used. Maybe this was my "pearls before swine" moment. While i thoroughly enjoyed the concert and the music Mr Thile presented i kept waiting for the "B" part.
    Mr Thile came on stage and seems the "regular guy" who can play mandolin like nobody's business. He explained some of the inspirations for the piece, New York subway trains, and his reasoning for naming it as he did. His playing was absolutely superb throughout the performance. The thing that will stay with me the longest was his encore, a solo mandolin performance, sans mic, of the presto from Bach's Concerto in Gm. When he came back out he stated that he was doing a concert no-no, playing a Bach piece after his own; "no matter who You are, Bach is always better." i was sitting back in row P and had absolutely no difficulty hearing his playing, even unamplified.
    Even if modern music is not Your thing, waste no time in getting to see this performance when and if available. Mr Thile is truly a virtuouso player. Makes me want to go out back and have a bonfire.

Just a heads up for those in the NY area: I got a flyer from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra the other day that CT will be playing his concerto with them next March. Tickets for next season won't go on sale until this summer sometime, but I know I'll get mine as soon as they are! I've been hoping that he'd find his way to NY eventually, and there's no finer orchestra than Orpheus for him to play with.

Wow! This is big news indeed. Congratulations are due again to Chris!

Orpheus, for those who don't know already, is famous for its conductor-less collaborative approach, as well as their virtuosity. I've never seen them, but I'll certainly be watching to grab tickets, as soon as possible. I wonder where they will be playing.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by wreded View Post
    While i've been exposed to more modern music i don't really have a taste for the dissonance and timing changes that are used.
    Was the second part in 7/8? It sure sounded like it. About half way my wife leaned over and whispered "He is not human."

Ken, Will the Orpheus performance be at Carnegie Hall?
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Hardesty,
    Before the piece he mentioned that the second part was in 1/16 and he stole time here and there and put it back in here and there to make up for the stolen time.
    Alas, i didn't get to grip and grin with him, it was about 22 outside (warmed up from about -25) with a 20-30 MPH wind, no one wanted to go outside so the foyer was pretty crowded. Darn the luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Ken, Will the Orpheus performance be at Carnegie Hall?
    Yes, I think so. All of their concerts are.

Quote Originally Posted by wreded View Post
    it was about 22 outside (warmed up from about -25
    Wow... that poor Loar was taken from the 70's to -25 from one day to the next. Scary!

Hey Hardesty, this is Montana. The only month i've never seen it snow in is July, i was gone that year. Folks that were here say it snowed on their 4th of July barbeque.

The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra has posted their season for next year including, "more recent works by Copland, Bernstein, and Chris Thile, among others." (In classical circles, they still use Thile's first name)

"On March 24, Orpheus welcomes 30-year-old composer/mandolinist Chris Thile for the New York premiere of his mandolin concerto. Thile has revolutionized the mandolin with his combination of unprecedented virtuosity and limitless musical facility, and together with Orpheus will stretch existing musical boundaries. In this concert, Orpheus will also celebrate another genre-defying American original: Leonard Bernstein. The orchestra has commissioned the first-ever suite from the opera Trouble in Tahiti, arranged by Paul Chihara. "Appalachian Spring Suite" by Copland will also be played along with the premiere of the new Project 440 commission by Clint Needham."
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

TONIGHT in San Francisco the Punch Brothers at Great American Music Hall.

TONIGHT --- Punch Bros. at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma CA.