"Maudlin Mandolin" told me about Lloyd Armstrong (1930-1999) of The Armstrong Twins -- thanks, Duncan. Like Bill Monroe, the Armstrongs straddled borders between old-time and blues, and what became bluegrass and rockabilly. The brothers were born in Dewitt, Arkansas to Lois Armstrong, a musician who played in the Sunshine Girls duo, on KLRA, Little Rock. The boys first appeared on radio in 1935, playing and singing "Walking Arm in Arm with Jesus," and soon became child performers. Lloyd started on guitar, but in 1938, as he explained, his father wanted him to learn another instrument: "He took me to the Square Deal Pawnshop. I'll never forget It. Daddy took me over there and had me to pick something out. They had a whole row up on top. I said I'll take that little thing right there. I didn't even know what it was. It's a wonder I didn't pick out a tuba. It just happens that a mandolin goes with the guitar" (quoted in Bill McNeil). After learning his new instrument, Lloyd played mandolin and sang harmony, while Floyd played guitar and sang lead.

The Armstrong Twins played regularly through their school years, and became full-time musicians in 1946. The family moved to California, where the boys played regularly at dances, and appeared on radio with such country stars as Merle Travis and Tennessee Ernie Ford. They made some recordings around this time, which achieved some popularity, but didn't record again for another decade, preferring to concentrate on their live performances. Their popularity increased due to regular play on powerful radio stations in Mexico near the US border. During this period, their sister, Patsy, joined the group, playing steel guitar. The family then moved to Odessa, Texas where they achieved more radio and television exposure, with a young Elvis Presley appearing on the Twins's country music show. They spent a while in Nashville, but didn't do well there. They kept working as entertainers until they retired in 1969, never gaining great fame, though they'd done well in music. Lloyd then worked as a mechanic and Floyd as a carpenter. In 1979, their old recordings were re-released, and they found themselves again both in a recording studio, and working as musicians, this time on the folk festival circuit. (Information from Bill McNeil, "The Armstrong Twins"; Article MT107 - from Musical Traditions No 5 (6), early 1986; available online.)

Her's a great rag from the Armstrong Twins. If the links don't work, search YouTube for "Armstrong Twins -- Mandolin Rag".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c5rIcIv2Pw

And here they do a lively boogie. If the links don't work, search YouTube for "Mandolin Boogie -- The Armstrong Twins".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjmeQtvBKo8