Thread: Ibanez M511SE

Default Ibanez M511SE

Just picked this up at guitar center, never played before in my life. I'm 22 and I've played drum kit for about 11 years of my life, but on the downside I can't take a kit with me everywhere I go. I sang in a choir for 8 years, can read music and have a basic understanding of music theory.

But yeah picked this up, i know its cheap and all that, but I was really wondering how to get the best sound out of it. I'm looking to replace most hardware (if needed) and turning a cheap electric mando into a decent passable mandolin if possible Thanks in advance.

Electric Mandingo out!

Default Re: Ibanez M511SE

I've never played one of these, but I have an Ibanez M522S that I've played for the past few years (first mandolin I ever bought, before I found this site). Really not that good an instrument. The top and sides may be solid wood, but they are pressed, not carved. The tuner knobs and nut are plastic; I had both chip/crack break within a few months of purchase. This was not due to any rough treatment; I've been playing stringed instruments since I was in 5th grade, and know how to care for them. They're just cheap. Anyway, I replaced the nut and that seemed to improve the sound. I bought a few blanks (~ $5 each) and appropriate files (~ $13 each) from StewMac and kept at it til I made a good one. So for less than $ 50 it was an improvement in sound. Don't know what a luthier would charge, but it would be worth taking it in for a good setup overall plus new nut. This will likely cost you over $100 but it is worth it. I still have the original bridge; I fit it to the top using the StewMac fixture. It could probably sound better with a Cumberland Acoustic for ~ $ 50 - $ 60 depending where you get it. I'm using mine as a beater and learning how to do things like replace nuts and bridges, so I'll probably spring for the CA bridge sometime soon. You should replace the strings; Do you plan to play plugged in most of the time or acoustic? This will effect the strings you ought to get. If you're not familiar with archtop/floating bridge instruments read up on it first. Again, this would be done with a good setup, but you're going to need to know how to change the strings and set intonation. Enjoy, I learned how to play on my Ibanez and I don't regret the purchase!
    Last edited by Mandobart; Feb-13-2011 at 2:27pm.

Default Re: Ibanez M511SE

cool thanks for the info anybody else got some ideas?