Thread: Weber Abalone and MOP Purfling

Blog Entries

Default Weber Abalone and MOP Purfling

Thought some people might be interested in how Bruce is doing MOP and abalone inlay these days...also we're getting pics for a player's custom Big Horn mandocello.
    First, you can pick between natural abalone (shown in the pictures) or abalam. Natural tends to be more subtle with more pinks, and abalam is brighter with mostly blues and greens, generally speaking- both are pretty I think. Shortened version is, he picks and places the pieces for greatest effect,cuts to the binding specs on the CNC, then hand places them in the purfling area. More consistent and less wasteful of the material than straight cut pieces that are then chopped short to make the curves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab1small.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	68337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab2small.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	68338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab3small.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	68339  

Default Re: Weber Abalone and MOP Purfling

wow, thats some kind of custom work in my eyes!

thanks for posting and keep us updated with more pictures on this work Mary.

Oh, my family is now a two Weber mandolin family(daughter 9 and wife 40)-now my father-in-law is letting some dust collect on his Eastman
    and has been loving "snow days" from school so our Mary will bring her and her moms Webers to his house for some mandolin time.
    He has decided to put up for sale his 70's Martin D-28 and a Gibson archtop electric something ES335? so he can get him a Weber ASAP!

Today i called your shop and spoke with Marty the setup guy-i had an issue and he solved it over the phone within minutes-i had overlooked it and it was right in my face-tell him the dropping of the two G strings at the saddle fixed the sizzle and the action is now very low and plays like butter.

daryl

Blog Entries

What a great thing to read on Monday morning! We would love to get some pics and a bio (even video : ) for our website so we can meet you guys. Do you all have different models/years, and I am curious what your father-in-law is looking at.
    Marty is a good guy. I am planning some short videos with Bruce going over setup/truss rod adjustment, etc. if I can get him to stand still long enough.
    As for the shell purfling...I was thinking I should have mentioned that the good thing about this is that he can use curved, fitted pieces instead of breaking straight pieces. However, the hard part does come next in breaking/fitting this into the actual instrument. Also the shell is surrounded by regular binding on both sides as he thinks it makes the shell show to full effect.
    'No go' on the picture- I'm an idiot. There is one on my profile blog if you're interested.
    Last edited by Mary Weber; Feb-14-2011 at 11:45am. Reason: trying to get a picture in post

Blog Entries

Daryl- I don't want to clog up threads and mostly post on my blog. If you want updates please become a friend.