Thread: My Tekno-band has made some recordings ;)

Default My Tekno-band has made some recordings ;)

Well, we really play Swedish punk music, with some non-traditional elements. I play my 5-string Mann Baritone mandolin sort of as a lead guitar in this band. Live I also use it to trigger synth sounds (I equipped it with a hexaphonic pickup).

The two songs below are from our demo (which is recorded in our rehearsal room and mixed in my bedroom, so its very DIY), and the mixing may not be fully tweaked yet. I'll post a link to all the songs when the demo is finished, but I just couldn't wait to share with you fellow emando-players

http://www.snortingmaradonas.se/idyl...tivisterna.mp3
    In this song the mando plays lead melodies/solo + double stops in the chorus.

www.snortingmaradonas.se/idyllen/o.mp3
    In this song the mando plays melody lines with a heavy ammount of delay. It also features me on lead vocals
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando

Blog Entries

Default Re: My Tekno-band has made some recordings ;)

Nice combination of guitar and mando in your band. The Mann sounds good.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

What I love about all of these recordings (Tom's, CLeRIK's, and everyone else's) is that they illustrate the same diversity of style and tone as the guitar. The electric mandolin, just as versatile as its larger six string cousin and a heck of a lot more fun to play!

Cool stuff CLeRIK!

Daniel

Nice! I especially like the little Viking interlude in the first track. The Mann sounds great!

Both tracks are *very* cool! Great recording quality, and the interplay between the guitar and mandolin is really nice.

A comment - in my (possibly worthless) opinion the lead mandolin at the end of Aktivisterna could be just a *little* bit louder in the mix, it seems slightly buried at the moment.

Thank you for the nice comments! The Mann is connected right into the computer, and then amplified using Guitar Rig 4 (the electric guitar and bass guitar is recorded with real amps though).

voxhumana: Yeah, we might raise the volume on that track a bit. I'm also considering make in it a bit less "thick" sounding, but we'll see about that. I'm using an octave pedal from GR4 on the Mann in that track, to make it even fatter, but I'm thinking of brightening it up with an EQ. Nice too hear that you enjoy the recording quality, even though it is recorded with sub-par equipment

Daniel: I have a mandolin just like the one in your profile picture However I upgraded it with a SJ Ryder pickup. I use it on this "punk/jazz" track: www.snortingmaradonas.se/idyllen/fra.mp3
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando

I really dig your tunes and I like where y'all are going with that. I look forward to hearing what you guys come up with.

While a DIY Demo you've succeed in getting something that is definitely usable for your intended purpose at the moment. I would certainly prefer to raise the playback volume myself to have a listen than put up with the "normalised" (distorted) crap that some people post on myspace.

On mix levels personally i'd bring the vocals back a bit so that the band envelops them a little more. They seem further out than would be requires for the genre. (you're not trying to be britney, now are you). One trick is to monitor at a very low volume before you bounce to ensure all your elements are balanced at low levels... it helps to glue everything back together in the right ratios...

I Look forward to hearing your progress and some studio cuts of your band.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Thanks for the feedback Ben! Up until now, only I have done the mixing. Since I'm mostly a vocalist I guess I may make the voice a bit too loud. Actually I too have had thoughts of making it quieter.

The demo is up until now mixed using studio headphones (I think my room is too bad acoustically to respond well with monitors). The whole band will take a weekend to fine tune the mixing, using monitors, so everybody can give input. I'm also hoping to be able to send it to a mastering studio for some extra polish (hopefully it wont be "normalized crap")

For our next recording I'm hoping to record at least the drums in a real studio, and perhaps record the line signals of the guitar, mandolin and bass parts and re-amp them in a studio. Its fun to record on your own and we've learned a lot!

Glad you enjoy it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CLeRIK View Post
    Daniel: I have a mandolin just like the one in your profile picture However I upgraded it with a SJ Ryder pickup. I use it on this "punk/jazz" track: www.snortingmaradonas.se/idyllen/fra.mp3
    CLeRIK,
    Cool. I think Bill Frissell would appreciate that cut.

I customized mine just a little: had a new pickguard made for it, so I could angle the pickup, and put .080" fret wire in the fretboard.