Thread: Me and my epiphone mandolin

Smile Me and my epiphone mandolin

Hi everyone...I don't have a website or video so I have to attached a photo of me and my mandolin. I have only be playing it just over 4 months. I so love the instrument! I have learned enough basic stuff in order to jam with other musicians or play at open mics. I am open to any or all suggestions, with regards to theory, chord progression, etc.

From the photo, you can see me sitting on a box. It is actually a drum called a cajon. It is Latin in origin and used mostly in flamenco but becoming more popular amongst drummers and percussionists for use at acoustic jams. Right now...I would consider myself more of a drummer wanting to be a mandolin player. I have some basic knowledge of guitar but as I mentioned, I just fell in love with the mandolin and I really want to learn to play it well.

Sherie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Playing at Angelas.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	68019  

Default Re: Me and my epiphone mandolin

Sherie,

Welcome, you need to learn to play the cajon and your mandolin at the same time. I remember seeing the Jolly Boys play. One of the boys was playing a bass marimba that he sat on like the cajon, it had metal tongs on it that he would pluck like a bass. I guess it was like a huge thumb piano.
    Enjoy your new intstrument.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

go girl!

Just be careful.... mandolins are addictive! The only treatment for it is to play with other people and have fun! .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

The more music the better. Be it mandolin, cajon or a pair of spoons and a jug. Just got my 1/8th plywood in the mail yesterday and will be building my cajon this weekend.