Thread: Kodak Playsport videocamera...

Default Kodak Playsport videocamera...

Just purchased this camera from Amazon (delivery pending). Being weather-proof and apparently pretty ruggedly constructed, I bought it mainly for capturing video outdoors on ski trips, kayaking, etc. But if the audio capture is half-way reasonable, I'd like to use it towards more musical ends. I don't believe that there's an input for an external mic, so I guess that I'm just wondering if the built-in one is worth a damn? Any experience with this unit in Mando Cafe Nation?

Default Re: Kodak Playsport videocamera...

Well, I think from what I had read that it's the same mic as the one in the Kodak Zi8, a similar model... I just recently got a great deal on a barely used Zi8 on my local CL. The sound is not terrible, not great, but the video (I imagine on both models) is superb for a pocket sized video camera. Of course, the Zi8 does have an external mic input, which is why I wanted it specifically, rather than the Playsport. I have a little stereo lapel mic leftover from a Walkman-style cassette player from years gone by, which has made its audio quality a little better already. I had hankered after a Zoom Q3HD, which I definitely cannot afford, but ended up getting something with better video, not quite as good audio, but which cost me only 1/4 as much as a Zoom (including 4G memory and an AC adapter/charger thrown in as extras by the seller).

But back to your question, you will just have to try it and see if you can live with it. For me, it was better than the sound I was getting from my other digital camera's video mode, so I'm happy about that. But everyone has different standards, expectations, needs and possibilities.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Default Re: Kodak Playsport videocamera...

Thanks bratsche. The Playsport arrived yesterday, but I haven't had time to goof around with it too much yet. Its main job will be to capture outdoor sports type stuff (skiing, boating, etc.), where the sound quality will be secondary. As inexpensive as these things are (~$115), it might be tempting at some point to pick up a Zoom H1 or something similar, and piggyback the audio to the Playsport video. At any rate, I'll post back with some impressions as soon as I've had some time to mess around a bit more...Buddah