Thread: Johnson MA 450 vs 550

Default Johnson MA 450 vs 550

Hello friends

I read some past threads on this and need to make a decision by Monday so I'd love some of your experience and input. I had an MA 450 but the top sunk after a year since new and they are willing to send me a replacement. I play less celtic and more classical, blues, and swing genres. Wondering about paying the difference for the 550 since I think the sound of it would be more suited. Now I'm hearing/seeing that the MA 550s sides and back are not solid woods but "highly flamed maple back and sides" as their description goes. I know the top is the most critical regarding sound but I'm wondering how much difference laminated vs solid back and sides would make.

In other words do I pay the difference (about 130 bucks) for the deeper barkier sound (not to mention the looks of the 550--ok you got me, looks factors in a little) or stick with a new 450 for the all solid woods. Have fun with this one...I'm sure I'd get a diversity of opinions, which is a good thing.

BTW has anyone had a similar experience with top sinkage on the Johnsons? I had a Morgan Monroe octave (I'm thinking its the same product from korea with differeent ornamentation as the TC and Johnson 450) for years without a problem.....wish I'd kept that.....

thanks a ton!

Mike

Default Re: Johnson MA 450 vs 550

My Morgan Monroe OM was all laminates top, bottom, sides... I preferred my Johnson 550 to it. Both were good beginner instruments- and looked good...

Hey Mike, I have very little experience with OMs (so little I can describe in 4 sentances.) I played with a 450 , fell in love went back a few times almost ready to buy it but hesitant because it was the only one I had ever seen in person. Asked the shop owner his honest opinion (it was on consignment) he said the top is sinking hold out for a Tinity College. I did, I bought the first one I came across, its not perfect and I wish it fit in my lap better but I'm happy with it. I have since played with someone elses 450 and loved it. I almost wish Had one of them. So my thought is if you can spare the extra $130 go with the 550 (if it is less likely to sink on you.)

josh

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

I had two Johnson MA 550's. Both had collapsed tops. One arrived from the dealer with a collapsed top. The replacement instrument had the top go "south" after a few months. That one was returned as well for a full refund.

I now have a Trinity College OM and a mandola - both with no problems.