Thread: Steve Windwood on mandolin

Default Steve Windwood on mandolin

Excerpted from http://www.guitar.com/articles/steve...-guitar-player

Guitar.com: In the 1980s, you started incorporating mandolin into songs such as "Slowdown Sundown" and "Back in the High Life Again". When did you first start playing mandolin? What appealed to you about it?

Winwood: Mandolin always intrigued me as an instrument because it was tuned in fifths, as opposed to being in fourths like a guitar, so the fingering was quite different. But the tunings I used on mandolin for "Slowdown Sundown" and "Back in the High Life Again" were standard mandolin tunings, that is (starting from the first string): EADG.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

Default Re: Steve Windwood on mandolin

He played a great version of Slowdown Sundown w/mandolin in the Royal Albert Hall for the '83 U.K. benefit concerts for "Action For Research Into Multiple Sclerosis", Great subtle ballad. The mini tour had the giants of rock getting together for Ronnie Lane's cause (He was the Small Faces & Faces bass player) The 3 Yardbirds guitarists Beck, Clapton, & Page w/Wood, Wyman, & Watts (Stones) to go along with Kenny Jones, Andy Fairweather Low & others. Stellar al-lstar line-ups. The U.K. w/Winwood was officially released. It's on video out there, but I didn't see the Slowdown Sundown clip on Youtube (but others from it are/no mando lovers? C'mon man). I have it on DVD (I had it on Beta when it 1st came out.... remember beta tapes?), but doubt it's proper to upload it even if I was to seek advice on how to do so. I saw the A.R.M.S. concert in NY in '83 and rather than Steve we got Joe Cocker and Paul Rogers. Paul Rogers & Jimmy Page played the Firm material before they were really announced, Winwood and Page played the Firm's material @ the U.K. shows.

I'll see if I can dig the video up, It is a great clip.
    Live Full, Love Deep

Default Re: Steve Windwood on mandolin

great tune: