Thread: Bridge too high?

Default Bridge too high?

I just received my new LM-400 which I really like. The setup is good but I am concerned because the bridge saddle seems to be very high on the posts. The string height is between 7/8 and 15/16 from the top of the instrument. The saddle is leaning forward slightly on the posts as well.

Not sure how high is too high. Is this a cause for concern? I am worried about the bridge leaning forward too much and also undo pressure on the top of my new instrument. I purchased it from a reputable dealer and I know they go through a lot of mandolins. I have seen other threads where it is recommended to replace the bridge so I am wondering if this is not uncommon with this model or brand.

These are not the sharpest but I hope they convey the idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	67283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge4.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	67285

Default Re: Bridge too high?

Looks to me like the neck is set at too much of an angle, requiring that the bridge has to be set so high to get the action high enough so that the strings don't buzz.

Mine is like that on the other side of the bridge.

My Loar LM-400 has a high bridge as well, although perhaps not quite that high. I've considered having a new higher bridge custom fit (Cumberland), although it is fine the way it is for now.

Jeff

Your bridge is not uncommonly high for a The Loar mandolin. They do have a steep neck angle. Yours might be a little higher than average.

The main thing I would be concerned about is the forward lean. Can you tell if it is the foot, saddle or posts causing it? I often run into posts that are not screwed in far enough. That would be worth a check.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I wonder why they prefer to run their neck angle so steep ? If the bridge is that high brand new, if the mando settles any, there will not be much room left for an adjustment. Thicker saddles can be made to help this. I would start with a totally new setup to include a new bridge.

Destroyer of Mandolins

That is sort of disconcerting just to look at. I think I'd go with Barry and have a new set up including a different bridge if that works with the neck angle.

You might also consider asking this in the Builders and Repairs forum where even more expert eyes will see it.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I know the Weber "Brekke" bridge is available in 3 different heights. That might be an option for you. I don't know if there are Loar style bridges made that way also. Many Cafe members have raved about the Cumberland Acoustics bridges. Maybe you could give them a call to find out if they have that option.

Joe has installed Cumberland bridges on Loar mandolins with success. They have different sizes I believe.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post
    Joe has installed Cumberland bridges on Loar mandolins with success. They have different sizes I believe.

Jeff
    Yes, I think 3 heights.

Yeah, there's nothing like those Cumberland bridges. You will have to have the bottom fitted to the curve/shape of the mandolin top. I bought one for my Williamson F5 a few years ago.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The posts look straight but the saddle is leaning forward slightly atop them. Fstpicker, that puts me at ease somewhat knowing that another 400 is that high. Robert, I know you have seen a few of these and that is why I was wondering if mine is unusually high or if it is the norm (or close to it) for this brand/model. When I purchased this I had considered getting a CA bridge, I guess I may wind up getting one sooner than I anticipated. It's just that the mando is brand new, I have only had it a few days. The sellers advice was to pull it back a little bit.
    Again, the setup is great and the mando is comfortable to play, but the bridge height worries me. The physical bridge seems no smaller than the one on my older instrument, it's just reaching higher.

I appreciate everyones response!

Check the intonation @ 12th fret to see if the top of the bridge should go back or the foot of the bridge come forward. Do a search on intonation if you are not sure what has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by chipotle View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone.

The posts look straight but the saddle is leaning forward slightly atop them.
    If slight enough, this can just be from tuning up the mandolin- and if you take off some tension, straighten the saddle, and then keep pushing it back to straight if it starts to lean while you tune up, you could be fine.

That seems to be the way Loar does their bridges. My LM-600 was almost that tall and so was my friends bridge on his LM-400.

I just installed a Cumberland Acoustic bridge on it yesterday. Steve at CA is great to work with. The installation is a little bit of a chore, fitting it and all. I would recommend having someone do the fitting for you.