Thread: looking to upgrade and spend 3-4k or so, advice much appreciated!

Default looking to upgrade and spend 3-4k or so, advice much appreciated!

currently playing a chinese made 'Loar'. cost be about 1200, without pickups etc.
    thinking its time to upgrade, starting to play a load of gigs and festivals.
    hoping for some advice on what to get for around 3-4k or so
    wondering if a gibson is a good way to go, or am considering getting one hand built from a luthier. (i live in Australia)
    any advice would be much appreciated!

Default Re: looking to upgrade and spend 3-4k or so, advice much apprecia

Since you're in Oz, I'd definitely suggest a locally handbuilt instrument. There are plenty of Australian builders (some of which post here on the cafe regularly - Graham McDonald and Rob Grant etc), who to choose will depend on what kind of mandolin you're after (and where you live).
    I assume from your theloar mando you're after an F-style? Though a 2nd hand Duff might be out of your pricerange, you could try someone like John Liddy. He's produced some impressive f5 style mandos (unsure of his pricepoint).

I'm not saying not to get a Gibson, they are tried and tested for sure, but once you incorporate local markup, or freight and duties there is some really good value to be found in our own backyard.

Where in Australia are you?

Oh here's the Cafe's database of Australian builders
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

You above water,. Mate?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I am all good myself but cannot believe the scale of things. - its really bad just a suburb or two away, but the area affected is the size of Texas. economy will suffer for years to come.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Where you are and if you can get it a used Duff A-5 would give you a lifetime of enjoyment.
    Olaf

thanks for the responses guys, luckily im in vic, and above the water, cant believe what i see on tv. terrible

gona check out those builders. definetly looking for the f style. a guy in my band knows one of the davidson brothers, and he recommended a liddy too. checked out prices, base models go for around 8k! but dam, do they look and sound so sweet!

Another thought... (or two)
    Locally an F9 can be had within your budget. perhaps direct from the US even with duties you could save a little. Personally I don't have the budget for stuff like this but I will say I'd feel comfortable taking it around through festivals and all the risks associated with doing so (inclement weather, unforseen incidents etc).

On the other hand If I invested in an artisan built instrument, and had developed a personal relationship with the luthier throughout the build I would probably be more inclined to use theloar for all the work, and the hand built mandolin for pleasure (recording, jams etc). I guess the sentimentality attached to the instrument after such a process could (for me at least) be so much that I wouldn't risk taking it to certain gigs.
    While I don't have a lot of money invested in my mandolin, the sentimentality attached to an instrument my father built for me is immeasurable. I work at a fair few folk/country gigs across the year, and while i love shooting mandosh*t with every 8stringer I meet at these festivals, I don't take my beloved because I am not willing to risk having it damaged.