Thread: Tex-Mex: La Cucaracha Tab.

Blog Entries

Default Tex-Mex: La Cucaracha Tab.

I met the wife today for a very enjoyable lunch at our favorite local restaurant (a very authentic Mexican Restaurant), and when I heard La Cucaracha on their background music soundtrack I realized how great this melody would sound on the mandolin!

I know I can sit down and transpose over from a guitar tab, but I'm hoping someone knows where I might find a decent mandolin tab for this fun song.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Default Re: Tex-Mex: La Cucaracha Tab.

No tab, but I found the dots here, and there is an interesting history of the lyrics in this Wikipedia entry.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

I hadn't thought of "La Cucaracha". That would be a good tune to learn. A group I'm in plays a couple of other Mexican standards; "Jalisco" and "La Bamba". That brings to mind another slower song "La Paloma Blanca".

Did you know "La Cucaracha" translates "The Cockroach"?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Jim, for the links. Of course, the marihuana lyrics were the ones we knew and sang loudly as kids. It is interesting to read about the fuller history of the song.

Lila Downs does a pretty great version of the song on her album Una Sangre.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

Worked on this tonight. I think it sounds pretty good...The wife loved it! Let me know what you think. Enjoy.

La Cucaracha - mandolin tab

E ||---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -||
    A |o----------0-4---------0-4--0-0-------------------------2-----------2--4-5-4-4-2-2-0----o|
    D |o---2-2-2-------2-2-2-----------6-6-4-4-2----2-2-2-6-----2-2-2-6----------------------- o|
    G ||----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ||

Oh, and I think the chords are Am ---> E7 ---> Am, but I'm not at all sure about this. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Ed Goist; Jan-11-2011 at 12:20am. Reason: added stuff about chords.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Here's a full tabbing, chords and lyrics of La cucaracha for anyone who's interested. It is sometimes played in 3/4 which I think is dismal compared to this 4/4 mariachi rhythm. I have put the beats above the tab to keep it right. If you are not used to this, clap out the rhythm of the first and second bar like "... and 4 and 1..... and 4 and 1 ..." while tapping your foot 1..2..3..4.. Once you've got that, you might realise that a lot of the notes are pushed a little, fractionally before the beat. A distinctively latin feel.

It wraps around endlessly if required, but I have added a note about how it is sometimes played in G then in C. To effect the change to C you can drop down a string. Or re-tab it for yourself .

Some of the long notes in the second part lend themselves well to tremelo AND glissando (slide), imitating a trumpet downward bend.

Any comments welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julian Morris For This Useful Post:

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Ha! Great piece! I just tried fingerpicking it on my Irish-tuned mando (GDAD) in D. Chord 2-4-0-0 with the 1st and 3rd fingers and play the melody with pinky as x-x-0-x to-x-x-5-x to x-x-x-4 to x-x-2-x (shift the index finger), then go to A as 2-2-0-2 and 2-2-4-2 (picked), then pick the final line on the 1st string at frets 7,9,7,5,4,2,0, chording 2-4-0-0 again. Hey, that's one for my repertoire!

EDIT: I just tried Julian's great tab. It also works fingerpicked in Irish tuning, chording G with 4-0-x-x to 4-0-2-0 to 4-5-2-0, then picking 4-5-x-x to 4-4-x-x to 4-2-x-x and a very open D chord with 2-0-0-0, continuing the melody as 2-4-0-0, hammering that open D string at the 4th fret and playing the A open, with the final line at frets 5,7,5,3,2,0 and resolving with the G chord at 4-5-x-x.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando