Thread: Mandolin Method Timeline

Default Mandolin Method Timeline

Scott found this mandolin method timeline and linked to it from the homepage. Our friend Michael in Germany was busy compiling this amazing timeline. Thanks!!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Method Timeline

There's also this one. That's quite a chunk of information.

Michael is quite amazing and I envy the fact that he has the time and energy to do this.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Michael Reichenbach

Thanks for the link! It was fun to prepare those timelines - I think this is good way to dive into mandolin history...

I know that hundres of mandolin methods are still missing..I just added what I knew and found with my searches in in my collection.

I did this mainly as a preparation for a speech about Chris Thile and the young American mandolin players and the mandolin in the USA in general that I held at a symposium in Passau (Germany) last year. The article has been published in the meantime in Phoibos (only in German..).
    Michael
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

Michael: I have been meaning to check into my pile of methods and see if there are any you don't have -- I doubt it, tho. Keep up the good and impressive work. I still owe you at least a cup of coffee and am sorry I missed meeting you in NYC the last time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Missing Pettine's method and the mid-18th century method by Michelle Corrette. I'm sure I have other books not in the list/timeline, if ever I can get around to sorting out my library.

Michael Reichenbach

Hi Richard you are right - I had forgotten the Pettine method.
    I have just prepared a page about the Pettine method on my homepage:
    http://www.mandoisland.de/bilder/sch...rn_school.html
    and added it at 1900 to the timeline (prefaceces dated between 1900 and 1909)
    I have also looked up the Corette and added it to the timeline.
    BTW - do you know something about Sig. Joseph Edward Pettine who played in Phildephia according to Stewart's banjo Newsletter:
    https://urresearch.rochester.edu/ins...nalItemId=2330

He's one and the same : Joseph = Giuseppe . There was pressure on the Italian immigrant community to Anglicize there names (sometimes only the first name, often both). Giuseppe Pettine was known in certain circumstances as Joseph or even (among his hunting/fishing buddies) Joe. My teacher, Albert Bellson, was born Alfonso Ballasone.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoisland View Post
    Hi Richard you are right - I had forgotten the Pettine method.
    I have just prepared a page about the Pettine method on my homepage:
    http://www.mandoisland.de/bilder/sch...rn_school.html
    and added it at 1900 to the timeline (prefaceces dated between 1900 and 1909)
    I have also looked up the Corette and added it to the timeline.
    BTW - do you know something about Sig. Joseph Edward Pettine who played in Phildephia according to Stewart's banjo Newsletter:
    https://urresearch.rochester.edu/ins...nalItemId=2330

And as we all know, our own Jim Garber was once Giacomo Garberini... :-) Great job, Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    And as we all know, our own Jim Garber was once Giacomo Garberini... :-) Great job, Michael!
    Aha!! Plami you found me out. Or... is it Pietro Giovanni? There must be a site to italianize names....
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

:-) We started this few years ago...

Some seven or eight years ago Cafe member and a good friend Arto Lauerma sent me these two mandolin methods:

1. MANDOLIINIÖPIK by V. Marvet and U. Uiga. The edition? (Kirjastus) should be "EESTI RAAMAT" in Tallinn (Estonia), 1974.

2. MANDOLIINIOPAS by Seppo Sillanpää. Kansanmusiikki-instituutti, Kaustinen (Finland), 1990.

So, Michael, you can probably add them to your list as well.

Best,
    Plamen
    Last edited by Plamen Ivanov; Jan-11-2011 at 2:44am.

Michael Reichenbach

PLamen - thanks for your information - I have added the last two methods to the timeline.

Nice work, Michael!

I am sure many more methods can be added. Keep up the good work!

Best, Alex.

Wow Plamen, thanks. I didn´t think that methods written in "obscure languages" could apply...

About Richard´s post above and angliziced names... I once bought some piano sheet music at an Italian flea market and wondered for a while who the composer G. S. Bach could be. Maybe someone less known relative? Nope. Giuseppe Sebastiano is pretty famous and well known.... :-D

Arto

Speaking of timelines... I just came across this on Amazon: Mandolin: Webster's Timeline History, 1680 - 2007

Of course, I would think that Michael's would be better. This one is described as a "data dump."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by mandoisland View Post
    Thanks for the link! It was fun to prepare those timelines - I think this is good way to dive into mandolin history...

I know that hundres of mandolin methods are still missing..I just added what I knew and found with my searches in in my collection.

I did this mainly as a preparation for a speech about Chris Thile and the young American mandolin players and the mandolin in the USA in general that I held at a symposium in Passau (Germany) last year. The article has been published in the meantime in Phoibos (only in German..).
    Michael
    Michael,
    are you saying you have a collection of your own with all these methods that you are mentioning ? Or did you make a timeline with information you have, but do not actually own them ?

I would be interested to have a look into some of them, like in an archive or a library. Do you know if such is possible ? Do you make copies or know where you can get these or a have a look inside ? I found some books copied and placed on the web and there will be archives where you can go personally.

Other people here on cafe that can help or give a link ?

Margriet

Margriet: the ones Michael owns are listed on this page. Dowloadable methods and other mandolin sheet music are on this page.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim:
    thanks, but............I see both times the same page.

Margriet

Michael Reichenbach

Thanks Jim for answering Margriets question.

The information on my website is not really up to date, I need to add some more methods that I have aquired during the last year.

On my website I have a presentation of some interesting methods with examples taken from those methods, and as Jim already mentioned I do have several of the old methods that are no more protected by copyright as complete scans. I am planning to add more scans in the future (but I can only make methods available that are not protected by copyright), and I should add some more methods to my presentation.

For the timeline I have added many methods that I do not own, I have tried to add some information about where I got this information from.

Thanks both. With the information that there are two lists and the link earlier I can explore.

Margriet

Sorry, Margriet... I did not realize that the site was built with frames and I was tagging the outer frame.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Michael Reichenbach

As xtimeline has obviously stopped working for the moment I have decided to transfer the mandolin method timeline to a new system. I was lucky that I had made an export of the information of the timeline. I have added pictures from my website and the link to the detailed page about each method for the methods that I have already on my website.

I have also added some events like the premiere of Mozarts Don Giovanni and the publishing date of Beethovens mandolin pieces to fill some gaps.

I am trying to add more scans in the future - I have just started to check my archive for methods that are missing...

I am also planning to add some Spanish methods for bandurria and laud that are available in the Spanish libraries.

Especially I need to work on the modern methods that have been published during the last 50 years.

Hope that you enjoy my new timeline of mandolin methods

Any input for my timeline is welcome!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

Beanzyderbex