Thread: "The Loar" LM-220 model on ebay

Default "The Loar" LM-220 model on ebay

this is a new one to me. Didn't even know there is a LM220. No inlay on the headstock, but otherwise looks similar to the LM300 and even LM400 that I've seen so far.

No financial interest. Anyone else seen or play a LM220? Would love some feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Loar-Hand-Carved...-/150541351585

Default Re: "The Loar" LM-220 model on ebay

Kinda vomited just a little when I saw that burst. Pretty good deal though !

Quote Originally Posted by Dobe View Post
    Kinda vomited just a little when I saw that burst. Pretty good deal though !

Me too. I plan to sand it down and refinish it after putting on new binding around the fretboard. I figured for $200, I couldn't go too wrong. Asking price was $275, but he/she accepted my offer. We'll see how it sounds in a few days.

I can't tell if the fretboard is flat or radiused. If not radiused, then I will likely radius it and refret just for fun.

Good price, but I hope it's up to scratch. I've heard less than edifying comments about the archtop guitars they make.

still $ for $ its gotta be a good starting point......
    Quote Originally Posted by stout1
    Now, thanks to Martin and his guitar shaped mandola, I have been stricken with GBMAS, guitar body mandola acqusition syndrome
    hey!! I got my own Syndrome!!!!

I don't know anything about their guitars, but I've read some favorable comments about their mandolins from others here. I figured it would at least make a decent beater. I'm not expecting greatness, but if it's anything close to what others have described about their mandolins I'll be pleased.

Martin, some of the The Loar mandolins have received numerous wonderful reviews here on the Cafe. Big Joe Vest knows a thing or two about mandolins and he thinks that certain models are about as you can get for their price point. On the other hand certain models seem to get almost unanimous ho hum reviews.
    This is the first time I have seen reference to the 220. I hope it is a good one.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    On the other hand certain models seem to get almost unanimous ho hum reviews.
    That would be the LM-500 which is an earlier design, produced in a different facility than all of of the other mandolins. Not a bad instrument by all accounts but in a different league than the 300, 400, 600, 700 and presumably 220 models that came later and are built in a repurposed violin workshop.

Or something like that...

Re: the fretboard - I'm pretty sure I've read here and elsewhere that the Loars have a flat board on them.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel