Thread: What a Blast

Default What a Blast

I know that some folks have mentioned that this tune is based out of open D chords, and that it is "easy" to figure out... sigh... easy is a relative term... especially for me !

Can anyone help out, just a little, on the critical fingerings of the several positions that are used here ??

I seem to be challenged a bit on this easy one...

Johnd
    John D

Default Re: What a Blast

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    I know that some folks have mentioned that this tune is based out of open D chords, and that it is "easy" to figure out... sigh... easy is a relative term... especially for me !

Can anyone help out, just a little, on the critical fingerings of the several positions that are used here ??

I seem to be challenged a bit on this easy one...
    Johnd
    What tune?

"what a blast" lately done by Mike Marshall, and Theile... Youtube, and on CD of theirs... heard it, recorded it, have seen it... doesn't sound right when I work on it...
    John D

bump on this thread... still am challenged still inthe dark on this one
    any help ? I know it is in musical notation in Marshall's book, which I have, but I really don't see how what is written is really what folks play, especially in b part
    John D

John, I can’t offer much help with that tune, but I have a ton of empathy for how you must feel. I’m terrible at getting tunes by ear. I do ok with notation or tab along with an audio reference…usually, but not always. Sometimes I can’t get the written stuff to sound like what I am hearing. Maybe someone here will pipe in with some help. This is the best resource in the world for anything related to mandolins and music.

Seems like a jamming on the same chord progression and variations. It *is* a blast. This video was from 13 years ago.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This may be of help. I haven’t yet watched it myself, but the title sounds promising!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxBB6AwH_o

I vaguely recall Mike talking about that song and the chord voicings in his interview on the Mandolin and Beers podcast.

no that's fail... really no help at all
    John D

Go to the source... take a lesson from Mike, if possible.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Chris really has the Sam Bush head shaking thing going on there. Maybe that helps.

Seriously it looks like a lot of right hand work going on there between the chord stuff and crosspicking. You could hit all of the correct notes and if your right hand is not working like that it won't sound right. And that part does not look easy to me.

Hi John,
    Here's a basic tab I just typed out. Don't count on it for timing or accuracy.
    Basic open D chord shape and D minor chord shape with variations.
    You'll have to work out the strumming patterns on your own as they vary. The same chords work for the crosspicking section too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What a Blast!.pdf 
Views:	70 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	204662
    It's close enough to jam out with without Thile levels of skill required.
    Hope it helps, have fun!
    Last edited by Mandodork; Dec-06-2022 at 11:46am.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandodork For This Useful Post:

that sends me on my way very nicely... thanks much !!!!!
    John D