Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about a Members Section like Banjo hangout has?

Default How about a Members Section like Banjo hangout has?

The Banjohangout website has a members resource section where there are member homepages and a search section by city & state where you can locate other website members in your area. I've met some banjo players (and mandolin players) in my area whom I would never have met by using this resource. Why not have this on Mandolincafe. Checkout www.banjohangout.org to see what I mean. This would be a great addition to this website. Let's see some support with responses if you like this idea. How about it Mandolincafe?
    RB250

Default Re: How about a Members Section like Banjo hangout has?

Check out the Social Groups. There's a menu selection towards the upper right hand side of this page.

Mike and everyone else,

While I love this website, get on banjohangout and checkout what I'm referring to. The social groups section doesn't come close. You may have to join their site to see what I mean. I can go to a section of dropdowns and put in a state and city and it'll give you any site members there with their profile. You can than email them , etc. In a big city you can click up members (if any) in any of your surrounding suburbs who you'd never know are mando players. Or you can bring up the whole state of names of members. It sure is easy and we're not talking small numbers. You get their profile to see if you're interested. The Mandolincafe webmaster could setup so that next time you login that you have to fill out some or all (your decision) of a profile page. I realize that this will take alot of programming and some $$$ but it's an idea for 2011. I live in a northern burb of Chicago and although we have a local jam going, there's plenty of closet pickers who don't go and you'll never know who they are.
    Just a suggestion for consideration of the webmasters.
    RB250

I'm sure this is probably a shock but many of us are already members there and have been for years. I just don't personally see the magic. Scott's opinion might be different than mine, and if it is I'm sure he'll implement it.

Newly formed:
    Mandohangout

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm sure this is probably a shock but many of us are already members there and have been for years.
    If so, does that mean we are closet banjo pickers, or closet mando players?

I'll go first: I'm a closet banjo picker, and an out-of-the-closet mando player.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post
    Newly formed:
    Mandohangout
    Wow, I'm kind of stunned that the hangout folks are attempting to go toe-to-toe with the Cafe on this one. Seems like failure may be the only option for that plan. We're pretty well entrenched here.
    Last edited by Patrick Gunning; Dec-24-2010 at 7:32pm.

I don't think Eric means to go "toe-to-toe" with the Cafe, just be another resource for mandolin players. It's a nice site, been there done that.

Susan
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

I don't see how Mandocafe could feel threatened in any way by another forum trying to start up for mandolin lovers. We are used to having more than one flavor in so many other areas of our lives. Why does there only have to be one place for mando lovers to hang out? Look how many guitar forums there are. I'm glad that the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum didn't feel threatened when other forums were started online. Btw, I was one of the original members of the UMGF back in 2001, but I still enjoy other forums as well. Each forum has it's own style and flavor, and attracts different clientele.

Jeff

I was also surprised Eric decided on a mandohangout, given the obvious success, and love for, this site.

I also believe that the two can coexist and thrive. They seem certainly different enough.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Best not to be too complacent. New sites can have the 'draw' to attract people onto them in the hope that there will be 'something new' to read. I'm sure that Eric Schlange simply wants to have a Banjo / Mandolin & Guitar website under his belt.
    I'm a long time member of the Banjo Hangout,but i haven't visited hardly at all since begining to play Mandolin 5 years back. For me it simply got boring.I mean,how many variations (other than decoration) can you have on a lump of metal,wood & vellum ?. The eternal search for the "Holy Grail" of tone rings bored me as well - wheel the next one in please !!
    Personally,i wish Eric the best of luck,but he's up against the long time champ of Mandolin websites,thanks to Scott & the gang,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Actually, in Eric's defense, there were so many mandolin players who were asking for a Mando hangout page, that he finally decided to go ahead with it. He initially turned it down some years ago (if I'm understanding it correctly), but decided to do it this time around after all of the demand from so many players.

Jeff

Correct me if I am wrong, but....
    On this forum there are a number of members that are know to have some VERY valuable instruments.
    If a new "hangout" was set up with names, addresses, etc., would that not be a prime resource for individuals that have less than proper motivation?
    "Oh, let me find out where mandohangout member "x" lives. I need a little bit of cash. I know I can steal his/her mando/s and then just hold them for ransom. (Seems like we had a situation like this not too long ago in the news/forum)
    I personally don't have a higher dollar mando, but I would be more than just a little hesitant to join such a thing.
    Sorry for my sarcasm,skepticism, and lack of trust. I just see what could happen, and what has happened in the past. I would hate to see it happen again to any of us and our instruments.
    Could this be the reason some still have not switched to posting with their real names? Maybe so, maybe so.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Good point. But on both sites you can leave off your real name and address, if desired, I believe.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I seem to remember a "mando hangout" site some years ago that came to a somewhat unflattering end. I wish the guy well, but this site sets a standard beyond it's subject matter in many ways.
    Steve

The cafe and the banjo hangout are quite different. I have been a member of both for quite a few years and like both forums. However, they are different as night and day. The cafe is more closely moderated and seems to keep its focus on information rather than personal rants and the like. Eric is doing a great job and providing some great resources, but it is not competition for this site. I think both mandolin sites (though I have not yet visited Eric's) are more than able to exist at the same time without negatively affecting the cafe. Others may do a great job, but NO ONE does the job Scott does. Scott... we appreciate you and what you do very much!!!!!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Banjo players need a social area so they can hear. )

Good luck with the Mando hangout but I checked it out and it just can't come close to this place as far as info, participation here IMHO. Plus I highly doubt ANYONE could police the classfieds better that Scott. I swear Cafe classifieds are safer than any musical forum classifieds I know including eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    T The cafe is more closely moderated and seems to keep its focus on information rather than personal rants and the like.
    I find the hangout model to be a practical source of information and for vigorous and interesting discussion.

My experience has been that the hangouts appeal is for the amateur or semi professional player to discuss the music rather than the instrument. This might be why you hear little from builders and dealers and more from people who play.

I see a complimentary rather than competitive appeal with MC.

chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

I find the hangout model to be a practical source of information and for vigorous and interesting discussion.

My experience has been that the hangouts appeal is for the amateur or semi professional player to discuss the music rather than the instrument. This might be why you hear little from builders and dealers and more from people who play.

I see a complimentary rather than competitive appeal with MC.

chuck
    I agree whole heartedly.

Jim

Well,i paid my old haunt,the Banjo Hangout a visit yesterday. You can see where my interest has been over the last 5 years 192 'posts' on the Hangout (prior to the last 5 years) & over 4,000 on here.
    I read a few comments re.the Mandolin Cafe,one of which complained about 'not being able to find their way around the 'cafe'.If that's really the case,the may the Lord help first timers get around on the Hangout. To me it's cluttered compared with the 'Cafe.
    I also got the impression that the drive for a Mandolin Hangout,came from Banjo players who either play or wish to play the Mandolin,& want a site similar to the way the Hangout is ordered.
    I have to say that i'll possibly have a look at it when it's up & running,just to see if there are any 'Pearls Of Wisdom' i can impart. I've learned a huge amount from the folks on here,some of which may help the 'Hanger's out',after all that's one of the main aims of the 'Cafe,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Well,i paid my old haunt,the Banjo Hangout a visit yesterday. You can see where my interest has been over the last 5 years 192 'posts' on the Hangout (prior to the last 5 years) & over 4,000 on here.
    I read a few comments re.the Mandolin Cafe,one of which complained about 'not being able to find their way around the 'cafe'.If that's really the case,the may the Lord help first timers get around on the Hangout. To me it's cluttered compared with the 'Cafe.
    I also got the impression that the drive for a Mandolin Hangout,came from Banjo players who either play or wish to play the Mandolin,& want a site similar to the way the Hangout is ordered.
    I have to say that i'll possibly have a look at it when it's up & running,just to see if there are any 'Pearls Of Wisdom' i can impart. I've learned a huge amount from the folks on here,some of which may help the 'Hanger's out',after all that's one of the main aims of the 'Cafe,
    Ivan
    Ivan,

If things follow close to form, the mandolin hangout will be slow to get started just as the guitar hangout has been very slow. Over time a community of members will develop.

I have been discussion on internet music forum since 2005. There is a tendency for a good old boys/girls club to develop as post counts increase. These long time respected members know all of the over discussed topics, where to find old threads, and do not take lightly being disagreed with or having another good old boy or girl challenged. A new forum allows for a great leveling of the playing field where all are equals. This is hard for some people to swallow not being revered. They will stay briefly then move on if no one listens to them or cares what they have to say. I wish it were not the case, but I have seen it happen time after time.

What I have appreciated most about the hangout sites is the vast knowledge of the members about traditional music, the personalities and demographics of traditional musicians, and how musical forms develop over time. These discussions have spanned the globe with members from Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. bringing their research to the forum. These have provided links from publications around the world for all to read. I was asking just last week about a technique in Scottish fiddling and got the information I needed from someone is Scotland. I am not suggesting that this does not happen on MC, but this is not the focus as it is in the playing sections of the hangout form. This is why I say that the hangout draw in the amateur traditional player.

I also do not think that a discussion about the definition of traditional Scots-Irish music in America from 1800 t0 1930 is going to generate much here. Since these types of discussions are hotly debated, I am not sure it would fit well with the moderating philosophy of the MC. For a forum to be truly valuable educationally, you simply have to have some tolerance. If the membership is not used to these kinds of discussions, they will think those who are involved are making much to do about nothing. Besides being isolated for moderation, you will begin to get the cynical and sarcastic posts aimed at someone who is actually engaged in discussion. If you do not understand the topic, it is easy to over react.

Like I said before, the new hangout will be complimentary. This site will remain the essential source for all things mandolin. I don't know if this site is the easiest to navigate, but I am not going to say anything critical because it is a free resource and to say something negative would be disrespectful to the generous owner. I figure that I am smart enough to find the information I need and I can ask the owner or moderators for help if I can't.

chuck

I joined it. As Chuck pointed it's a source of information at the very least. If it's similar to the banjohangout and I assume it will be, it will be a lot looser than here on the Cafe and will develop pretty much as Chuck described. As far as the banjohangout goes I got to a point where I felt I wasn't really getting much out of it other than intertainment and dropped out. Plus "The Club" as Chuck calls it got on my nerves! As opinionated and outspoken as I am, I can take it as well as dish it out. But finally the venerated half dozen got to me. Another thing was they were more Bluegrass oriented. Bela Fleck notwithstanding the banjo is a Bluegrass instrument for all practical purposes. Any "Earl" thread was one that you had to be VERY careful what you posted! Here a "Bill" thread will get several responses but as long as you are respectful people seem to be more tolerant of what you post. The mandolin applied is much more diverse than the banjo. There are members here that probably couldn't care less about Bluegrass music. I'm sure Bill is respected by all here but he isn't the god that Earl is on the banjohangout! I think that's a good thing. Anyway, I go into the mandohangout with an open mind and I'm sure I'll get something positive out of it!

Chuck - I agree entirely,these thing do take a long time to get up & running. The first members of the new 'Hangout will very likely be the banjo players that i mentioned. I'd hope that at least a few of us,especially the 'Cafe members who have a vast amount of experience compared to my 5 years,would pay the new Hangout a visit to see if there was anything that they could help with re.info.etc. whilst remaining part of the 'Cafe's 'core group'. Unless there are some experienced players on the new Hangout to begin with,a few folk might need a bit of guidance from us,something that could only gain us respect - or conversely,they could tell us to 'butt out'. I just hope that the new 'Hangout members will be open minded enough to accept help & advice when it's truly meant.
    When you begin to think about it,are there any questions re.Mandolins & the building & playing thereof,that HAVEN'T been asked on here ?. It's hard to think of many questions that could be raised on the new 'Hangout,that wouldn't elicit the answer, " visit the Mandolin Cafe " .,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Chuck -
    When you begin to think about it,are there any questions re.Mandolins & the building & playing thereof,that HAVEN'T been asked on here ?. It's hard to think of many questions that could be raised on the new 'Hangout,that wouldn't elicit the answer, " visit the Mandolin Cafe " .,
    Ivan
    There is Fiddlehangout with several mandolin players or those interested in the mandolin present. With fiddlers come the interests in several genres of music other than BG, which seems to be the major subject here just as you say about BHO. I can envision an interest in fiddlers wanting to transition to mandolin and visa versa and topics about using the mandolin in Baroque, Irish, and classical music. This group tends to be less interested in talking about products and enhancements with more energy being expressed about the music. We'll see.