Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandobird Regrets?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandobird Regrets?

I think it's a good entry-level emando. It's entirely possible that my feelings for it are tempered by my not being an entry level player, so with my effects and general know-how I am able to get it to sound pretty real without trying too hard. You may want to modify it or put that money toward a swankier axe further on down the road, but for getting your feet wet in this river you can't beat the price. My next step in this area is more likely a decent 8-string rather than a snazzier 4-string, because I really do want that ringing double string sound. But I know I will be sacrificing the string bending to have that, and I am rather fond of this capability. Of course, I could be mollified with a whammy bar ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Update on this thread: my Mandobird VIII arrived today from Musician's Friend. I paid $199 for what was advertised as a used, very good condition instrument. Mine claims to be from Indonesia. When it arrived it looked new. I still can't find any wear marks, but I'm certainly not complaining. Thoughts so far, after ~ 2 hours with it - finish, feel, are all fine, and better than I expected for a $200 instrument. The bridge is not a "tunematic" style; as posted above you can only adjust the angle of the saddle and the action, can't individually adjust intonation for each pair of strings. So setting intonation is like doing it on an acoustic mando. As others posted, I have not been able to get the intonation perfect all the way up the neck. But, I can get it acceptable. The tone pot seems to have a bent shaft, there is a little wobble as it rotates, but it works fine. Sound through my old Peavey is pretty cool! The E pair of strings are definitely weak as also posted above, so I think a pickup upgrade is in order. Thank again everyone, gotta go play...

enjoy your bird and you can get replacement bridges that should help with intonation moongazer music i think has some in stock

Gotta say I love mine, though I'm a hack, so we fit well together!! (I have a 4 string model, pretty good intonation, and no e string issues)...125 bucks plus shipping used but in new condition...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Mandobart, congratulations on the new Mandobird!
    We'd love to see pics, and a video, too.
    Enjoy!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Didn't know the VIII didn't have the adjustable bridges - surprised at that. Both my IVs - one from Indonesia, one from China - have them. They were both from ebay and listed as used, though I didn't see any wear. I think one was from a music store, the other from a pawn shop, and their "used" rating may just have meant that they weren't technically new, having been hanging on the wall for a while. BTW, both have stickers saying they were inspected and set up in the USA, FWIW. Well, enjoy!
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-04-2011 at 1:44am. Reason: inspecting in the USA

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The intonation was so far off on my VIII that I had to move the entire bridge assembly. Drilled new holes and everything. Other than that, the action was workable, I did a nicer job of leveling and crowning the frets than the factory did.

I've also noticed a crackle over the amp if my fingers brush the pickguard. I'm guessing it needs some serious shielding.

For me, this is a practice instrument, it's very quiet and I can listen and mix other tracks through my headphones. I don't perform or jam with it so I'm not expecting much. It works pretty well for me in this context.

Blog Entries

Do you have a different emando for playing out and/or with others? I'm pretty happy with my IV though I know it's not perfect. Even so, it's a lot more like what I want than I had been using before, and I still haven't bonded with my Fender 5-string Mandocaster.

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Moreau View Post
    My purpose for buying it was to have a "silent" mandolin so I don't bother the neighbors during late night practices. For that purposes it has served me well.
    Ditto for me, although I had to dicker over the price at the dealership....the g-strings were practically touching at the nut. A new slot fixed that. The screws holding the neck on were loose. The neck relief was such that you couldn't adjust the action lower without shimming the neck heel to angle the neck back. I do like the odd body shape for playing while seated. And for portability, tit fits in leftover spaces in overhead luggage bins on my long journeys overseas. Still needs some more tweaking, though.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

So I just just received my new fully intonable bridge yesterday from Moongazer. I'm travelling this week, so I won't have a chance to put in on for a week or so. The saddles are made of threaded rod, don't have any specific slots. Just wondering, do most people let the strings ride in the threads of the barrels, or do they file slots in each barell for the strings? Seems like potential for breaking strings just letting them ride in the thread roots.

... I don't own one ... but there's something that has been left out of all of these posts ... the Mandobird just LOOKS so cool! I wish I had one!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4551-0s.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	66987
    Chris; London, England

http://www.myspace.com/mandolinjack

http://uk.youtube.com/user/MandolinJackFlatt

(Furch MF23, Gibson A0, Hoyer archtop, a nameless tenor, Abbot banjo ..
    + some guitars)

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flatt View Post
    ... I don't own one ... but there's something that has been left out of all of these posts ... the Mandobird just LOOKS so cool! I wish I had one!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4551-0s.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	66987
    I must agree......loads of nice Firebirds recently in the Private Collection features in Guitar & Bass magazine - must confess, I`m sorely tempted to build a 5 string

Blog Entries

Definitely, a very attractive design. Whoever in Gibson/Epiphone thought up the Mandobird was having a very good day.

Pete, if you do build one, use banjo tuners! My one complaint about the execution of the Mandobird, on a purely visual level, is the protrusion of the tuning machines beyond the headstock.

Daniel

No regrets about my VIII here. - I'm glad the OP bit the bullet.
    a few simple mods and the birds can be a very decent backup/2nd Emando later on once you find the One. (admittedly I went a little ott but it sure has been fun.)

Daniel, here's two mandobird headstocks I installed Steinbergers on.
    I will say they get a little tight for room on the stock VIII headstock, though I'm happy to put up with it, they do wonders at staying in tune so its basically string changes that can be fiddly.

I'd like to see Pete M do a neck thru non-reverse 'dola'bird...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	67023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	67024  
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Update on this thread: my Mandobird VIII arrived today from Musician's Friend. I paid $199 for what was advertised as a used, very good condition instrument. Mine claims to be from Indonesia. When it arrived it looked new. I still can't find any wear marks, but I'm certainly not complaining. Thoughts so far, after ~ 2 hours with it - finish, feel, are all fine, and better than I expected for a $200 instrument. The bridge is not a "tunematic" style; as posted above you can only adjust the angle of the saddle and the action, can't individually adjust intonation for each pair of strings. So setting intonation is like doing it on an acoustic mando. As others posted, I have not been able to get the intonation perfect all the way up the neck. But, I can get it acceptable. The tone pot seems to have a bent shaft, there is a little wobble as it rotates, but it works fine. Sound through my old Peavey is pretty cool! The E pair of strings are definitely weak as also posted above, so I think a pickup upgrade is in order. Thank again everyone, gotta go play...
    That's odd. I had it on good authority that the VIII was built in China and the IV was built in Indonesia. Normally it's origin is printed on the back of the headstock. To my knowledge, the mandobird never had a tun-o-matic bridge but always sported the hardtail style. That bridge has gone through some variations as they tried to source it from new vendors. The Kentucky KM-300E had a TOM bridge but that was discontinued when they moved the production of the instrument to a different plant within China.

In regards to the replacement bridge from moongazer, the saddles are actually the ones manufactured for the Jaguar Jazzmaster. It appears to me that they went to a coarser thread about six months or so ago which clearly affected the amount of variance in the spacing. I think there are some good alternatives but are pretty cost prohibitive in my opinion. I'm actually surprised that the eight string bridges aren't more expensive as they are because Tom has to discard the springs and screws that come with the Jaguar saddles and replace them with longer ones.

Blog Entries

FWIW (prolly not much) I have two IVs, one from Indonesia, one from China, according to the stickers (not printing) on them. Not saying things couldn't get swapped around, but that's what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    FWIW (prolly not much) I have two IVs, one from Indonesia, one from China, according to the stickers (not printing) on them. Not saying things couldn't get swapped around, but that's what I've got.
    Is one significantly older than the other? I remember several year back that it was difficult to get a hold of one because the factory was back ordered on them for a long time. Then when they came in, there was a lot of complaints about the necks warped and people noticed that they were marked as being from Indonesia. This centered around the NAMM show in 05 and it was also right around the time that the tsunami hit.

FWIW, I really do have better things to do than track the production of mandobirds, but I was approached about designing a new bridge for the eight string models which is why I've had a bit of interest in them. I think I'll go find a Loar discussion and cleanse my soul.

I just got an VIII and I believe the sticker says Indonesia.

Blog Entries

Sorry, Andrew. Didn't mean anything, just offering my 2¢. Not hazarding a guess as to how or why any of this should be so, just that's what I got. Explaining the vicissitudes of the odd goings-on in the mando-world on the other side of the earth is a fools's errand. Don't blame you for running screaming to the door!

BTW, Jim MacDaniel's been holding out on us. For a lark I went to his Zazzle storefront (as suggested in his signature) and found this T-shirt design.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    No regrets about my VIII here. - I'm glad the OP bit the bullet.
    a few simple mods and the birds can be a very decent backup/2nd Emando later on once you find the One. (admittedly I went a little ott but it sure has been fun.)

Daniel, here's two mandobird headstocks I installed Steinbergers on.
    I will say they get a little tight for room on the stock VIII headstock, though I'm happy to put up with it, they do wonders at staying in tune so its basically string changes that can be fiddly.

Very cool. And much more inn keeping with the Firebird esthetic.

Oops I was trying to reply to Ben and his pics of Mandobird headstocks.

Daniel

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    That`s an interesting thought.......might have a crack at a tenor (anything larger like an octave would have to be bolt on....only got a tiny workshop).

Blog Entries

Does the Mandobird VIII have a radiused fretboard?
    One would think it would, since it's an electric, but I can't find any reference to this anywhere.
    Thanks.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Does the Mandobird VIII have a radiused fretboard?
    Hard to say, as I don't have any gages to measure. I could have checked a couple nights ago when I had the strings off to replace the bridge, but I didn't. If it is radiused, it is a greater radius (less curve) than on my Morris (based on visual comparo). Also has bigger frets, again don't know the size. Coupled with the light gauge stock strings, it is very easy to play. The nut slots do sit high, so I'm carefully filing down to lower the action on the first few frets

Smile Re: Mandobird Regrets?

I got my mandobird 4 right here on the cafe a long while back and it had a great setup from the previous owner, neck is super skinny but feels great, original tuners hold a tune well, still have the plastic nut, crappy pickup, strung with Jazz mando/bird strings.... all i have done is change the pots, sounds great with the right effects, best $150 instrument I have ever played.....

I have the eight stringed bird and I'm happy with it. Even with a replacement pickup I have to turn the tone knob all the way if I want a strong E string. I think it looks the business and recorded it sounds great. I must admit I always play it through something - a delay, distortion or zoom pedal, but as that electrified sound was the whole reason I wanted a solid body mandolin I have no complaints.