Thread: Sam Bush and Mike Marshall

Default Sam Bush and Mike Marshall

I know this has been posted here before, but it is just great, soooo...once again

Default Re: Sam Bush and Mike Marshall

Actually never seen that clip before..thanks Big Al.

Ah, the memories. This was one of the many highlights from a great show called Mando Magnificat that was part of the Lonesome Pine Specials TV series back in 1989. I was lucky enough to be a member of the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra in those days and we had a great time being part of that show.

Here's a clip of Mike and Sam, plus Peter O. and the rest of the Modern Mandolin Quartet, playing a piece by de Falla that the MMQ had arranged for the LMO to play with them. Richard van Kleeck conducted us all (he was the creator/producer of the concert series) and our regular conductor, Jim Bates, joined the group on bass. Somewhere there's a version of us all playing the Copland "Hoedown" as well.

Thanks, Alan, for the trip down memory lane.

John G.

Good times indeed. I'm sitting just across the aisle from you John.

Ken White

Tear-rin it UP!
    Those guys never cease to amaze me. And they just love doing what they do.
    Thank you so much for sharing this video. I too have never seen it before.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Wow, that was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeTh1le View Post
    Wow, that was ridiculous.
    Yeah.....AND they have had 20 years since then to practice & get better!

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Wow do they rip it down! They obviously had listened hard to the twin fiddles on the original Mercury record, titled "Daybreak in Dixie". The two times they play twin harmony it's almost identical to the twin fiddle parts. Not sure why Sam calls this one "Ralph's Banjo Special", that's the variant with Ralph playing a quick G chord. I posted on this about 3 yrs ago:

"Daybreak in Dixie is the A/D/E progression (A part); this was cut for Mercury (Nov 15 1957) with Bill Napier playing mando and sweet twin fiddles (Benny Martin and Howdy Forrester!). This is the progression Sam and Dave play.

Ralph's Banjo Special is the A/G/D/E (quick turn to the G). It first appeared on SLP-106 - Mountain Song Favorites - Stanley Brothers & Clinch Mountain Boys [1959] and was recorded for Starday, probably in summer 1959 in Live Oak, FL. Again Bill Napier on mandolin. I guess the name was changed from Daybreak in Dixie, despite the obvious similarity of the tunes, to avoid copyright problems.

Daybreak was recorded again for King (July 11 1960) for LP King 719 "In Person", I guess to get it on the King label. This had Curly Lambert on mando.

Source: Gary B Reid's Stanley Brothers discography."

And the way their bodies ebb and flow + the touching glances they share, well....

The Modern Mandolin Quartet (the latest version) will be doing a house concert here in Santa Cruz in July, and I'm looking forward to hearing them again!
    Nick Royal

Quote Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
    Wow do they rip it down! They obviously had listened hard to the twin fiddles on the original Mercury record, titled "Daybreak in Dixie". The two times they play twin harmony it's almost identical to the twin fiddle parts. Not sure why Sam calls this one "Ralph's Banjo Special", that's the variant with Ralph playing a quick G chord. I posted on this about 3 yrs ago:

"Daybreak in Dixie is the A/D/E progression (A part); this was cut for Mercury (Nov 15 1957) with Bill Napier playing mando and sweet twin fiddles (Benny Martin and Howdy Forrester!). This is the progression Sam and Dave play.

Ralph's Banjo Special is the A/G/D/E (quick turn to the G). It first appeared on SLP-106 - Mountain Song Favorites - Stanley Brothers & Clinch Mountain Boys [1959] and was recorded for Starday, probably in summer 1959 in Live Oak, FL. Again Bill Napier on mandolin. I guess the name was changed from Daybreak in Dixie, despite the obvious similarity of the tunes, to avoid copyright problems.

Daybreak was recorded again for King (July 11 1960) for LP King 719 "In Person", I guess to get it on the King label. This had Curly Lambert on mando.

Source: Gary B Reid's Stanley Brothers discography."
    Swampstomper thanks for that info. I was just wondering today what the difference between Daybreak In Dixie and Ralphs Banjo Special were!

Such a classic video.

Blog Entries

Now..... that's putting old 'Daybreak In Dixie' in the wind !!!!!!

What mando is Mike playing in the second video?