Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin life in Austin, Texas

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin life in Austin, Texas

Sad to hear that about the Cactus Cafe. The jam was definitely on South Congress, in a parking lot, on the west side of the street. There was a hotel on the south side of the lot (could have been the San Jose), and something like an ice cream stand on the northeast corner of the lot (of course, that is the southwest corner of that intersection). This was a while ago, and I do mean about ten years ago ... Things change, my memory is fuzzy, but I've got the location right.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Margolis View Post
    I relied on my GPS a lot during my visit.
    My GPS couldn't keep up! Talk about a zig-zag city!

UT was going to close the Cactus , but there was a huge community backlash , so they decided to keep it open , albeit with new management and some oversight by the Student Council or some similar arrangement . The jury is still out as to whether it will resemble the old Cactus or will be a place full of hip-hop rapsters . Unfortunately on the UT campus if it doesn't carry a pigskin they don't pay much attention unless forced to .
    '09 Passernig A5
    '82 Kentucky
    '05 Deering Sierra
    '81 Gold Star maple archtop
    '79 Guild D-35SB
    '98 Gibson J-100
    Mid 1890's German fiddle

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Sounds like I need to take a road trip from the "Edge of Texas" to Austin (only 9 hours) On the way, I'll have to pick up Brian Walker. It's always good to have more than 1 Ludewig in a jam session
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Blog Entries

Well that might be good news about the Cactus. My sad Cactus memory is that for several years Doc Watson appeared there during Father's Day week. Alas I have a 'must attend' meeting that has started on Father's day, 9 out of 10 times, for decades. Finally an off year came... but Doc didn't.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Yea, Austin has the music thing covered. It's not called the Live Music Capital of the World for nothing. A lot of great musicians live/play there and some good jamming in the area as well. You got Collings Guitars just 20 miles west of town on US 290 and Tom Ellis lives there as well. Oh, and they have a pretty fair football team in town as well.

Blog Entries

Last show I saw there was the Tragically Hip, who played a modest sized club, and I was delighted to get tickets let alone stand five people away from the stage. Here in Canada they sell out arenas right quick, and the ticket prices are somewhat...higher.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Default Re: Mandolin life in Austin , Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Margolis View Post
    I took the mandolin tour last month: Ellis, Collings, Fiddler's, and I heard Paul Glasse. Great town, great fun, and I loved Fiddler's Green. Thanks again, Ben and Michelle!
    I haven't done the Collings tour yet, but Tom Ellis really knows how to make a guy feel welcome. John Allison, who builds Allison guitars and does or did the sunbursts at Gibson seems to be cut from the same cloth.

I don't live in Austin, but I like to spend as many weekends as possible in Wimberley, close by in the Hill country. It's great having Austin so close by.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    ...Oh, and they have a pretty fair football team in town as well.
    Usually, but not this year. I believe they are not going to a bowl game for the first time in umpteen years. Personally, I am horrified at what is being done to The Big 12, The Big 10, The Pac However Many. They weren't broke; why're they tryin' to fix 'em?

Oh, whoops - this ain't the sports page. My bad. Ummm ... lessee now, mandolins, huh?

Eh, I got nothin'.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Count me in as a fan of Fiddlers Green!!! Any time I have a free hour, I head down there in hopes of learning a lick or two from Ben. Billy Bright teaches lessons there as does Chojo Jacques. They have regular concerts in the barn in the back. AND the Austin Mandolin Orchestra rehearses there every Wednesday night, 7 - 9. Yes, Austin has a mandolin orchestra. Why would a mandolin player want to live anywhere else? Kudos also to Clay Levit who is the owner of FG and makes all of this happen.
    Uncle Tuffy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Chapmond View Post
    Count me in as a fan of Fiddlers Green!!! Any time I have a free hour, I head down there in hopes of learning a lick or two from Ben. Billy Bright teaches lessons there as does Chojo Jacques. They have regular concerts in the barn in the back. AND the Austin Mandolin Orchestra rehearses there every Wednesday night, 7 - 9. Yes, Austin has a mandolin orchestra. Why would a mandolin player want to live anywhere else? Kudos also to Clay Levit who is the owner of FG and makes all of this happen.
    As another illustration of how great mandolin life is here , in my OP I neglected to mention my great fortune at being able to study with Chojo , how could I have done THAT ?!?! Chojo is a great fiddle and mandolin player . He has a head chock full of music , and is gracious and generous in his sharing of it , he is a fantastic teacher . I wish every aspiring mandolinist could be afforded the opportunity to study with someone like Chojo .
    '09 Passernig A5
    '82 Kentucky
    '05 Deering Sierra
    '81 Gold Star maple archtop
    '79 Guild D-35SB
    '98 Gibson J-100
    Mid 1890's German fiddle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxLcJ93y6sI

...Just caught a great house concert here in Austin and thought I would share my experience with the mandolin happenings locally. Dennis Ludiker was really putting his Collings MF5 through it's paces.

attempting to embed

If in Austin on Monday night, go by Evangeline Cafe on Monday nights and check out my friend and master Cajun accordionist Charles Thibodeaux...The Austin Cajun Aces...which included Peter Schwarz on fiddle and Steve Doerr on Guitar. Best cajun/creole music (and food as well) outside southwest Louisiana. The seafood gumbo is fabulous.

http://austincajunaces.com/the-band-...ajun-aces.html
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Sad to hear that about the Cactus Cafe. The jam was definitely on South Congress, in a parking lot, on the west side of the street. There was a hotel on the south side of the lot (could have been the San Jose), and something like an ice cream stand on the northeast corner of the lot (of course, that is the southwest corner of that intersection). This was a while ago, and I do mean about ten years ago ... Things change, my memory is fuzzy, but I've got the location right.
    That sounds like two doors down from the Continental Club and across the street from the Austin Motel and the San Jose.

I can (vaguely) remember many a "fuzzy" night spent at "The World Famous Armadillo World Headquarters"....I am here to tell you, that there just plain won't be another.
    Shiner Bock....ah!!! and the acts that played there were a true "who's who".
    (For those un-familiar, Wikipedia for a partial list)

Then there was/is taping of "Austin City Limits" (my kids...adults now, still prize their early season "ACL" "season" t-shirts from seasons 10, 11, 12...)
    and then there was always the "4th of July picnics" that Willie Nelson was so gracious to host for so long throughout the Hill Country....

Now thats the Texas I remember so dearly.
    Sandy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    That sounds like two doors down from the Continental Club and across the street from the Austin Motel and the San Jose.
    No, sir, across the street from the Continental, west side of the street. But never mind - I found it on google maps.