Thread: Strap for a Strad-ol-Lin? There's no strap button.

Default Strap for a Strad-ol-Lin? There's no strap button.

I inherited a nice old blonde Strad-o-lin A-style mandolin. Despite being factory mass-produced, it sounds a little better than my Eastman, except for an upper fret issue on the E string. That said, there is no strap button at the end of the tailpiece. I know there are a lot of these mandos in circulation. How does one attach a strap? I figured I'd just ask before I drill a hole and just install a button in case this is not the best way to go about it. Thanks.

Default Re: Strap for a Strad-ol-Lin? There's no strap button.

As with many other A models you can run it between the strings and the headstock. Thats what I do!

Take a look at this thread. It will show you both ways to handle no end pin on a mandolin. There's a picture of the strap button I put on my Strad-O-Lin as well as how to attach a strap to a cloud tailpiece without a button.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I know that strap buttons are popular.

But frankly, I deeply hate a hole drilled into an instrument and a screw being attached in a place that never had one intended to have one. Just because people do it doesnīt mean you ought to... I would never buy a mandolin with a strap button. Itīs just like the "black toungue disease" (scooped fretboard). But of course it comes down to taste. And I have many friends who have a different tast than me.

As another person who is deeply attached to his Strad-O-Lin I would (like on a proper prewar D-28 guitar or the likes) attach the strap to the headstock. I would do it like Bill Monroe in the early 40ies (look here: https://ryman.com/stories/2020/bill-...-at-the-ryman/ or here: https://www.rocky-52.net/chanteursm/monroe_b.htm and on his fabled Lloyd Loar F-5 and on his no lesser fun F-7) or like Pee Wee Lambert (look here: https://bluegrasstoday.com/on-this-d...e-wee-lambert/ equally on a fabled Lloyd Loar F-5; wonderful early Stanley Bros. mandolin player...). It of course works on an A model mandolin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nse2005-53.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	196098. In case you ask: Yes thatīs obviously me with one of the best instruments on this planet.

And if you donīt fancy my way, donīt take the highway. Thereīs still this:

By the way. Thereīs the discussion about what kind of strap you might use. My Strad-O-Lin sports the strap that my dear father helped me source out of the depth of our basement clutter. Itīs an old curtain chord. Itīs allmost like an old rope strap. For my expensive F-5 style mandolin I used a dog leash for a while until i became a leather shoestring guy. The dog leash worked great. I was able to say that the dog bites. But the shoestring strap looks even cooler.

In case you didnīt ask. My only concern is the wear that you might put on your instrument using a strap. If you look at guys like David Grisman... he simply wears out the finish on the scroll by the use of a strap. I do see signs of use albeit very little attaching the strap on the scroll of my F-5 style mandolin. Thereīs no visible sign of use having attached the curtain chord strap to the headstock of my Strad-O-Lin (where it stays for allmost longer than Hank Williams sr. lived).
    Olaf

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

Since I was given the Strad-o-lin and it's my number two mandolin, I'm going to install the strap button. I just have to go out and get a small bit.

I don't like the idea of drilling holes, either, but respect whatever choice a person makes. On my Strad-O-Lin, I have the strap threaded through the tailpiece and (currently) under the fretboard extension. But when I find my holy grail mandolin (solid oval hole Strad-O-Lin), if it ticks off the rest of the boxes, I won't turn it down over a strap button.

BTW on types of straps, my Strad-O-Lin has a nice matching braided leather strap, but my Mid Mo M-15 has a leather boot lace, and my Morris has (*blush*) a used white cotton sneaker lace.

BTW on types of straps, my Strad-O-Lin has a nice matching braided leather strap, but my Mid Mo M-15 has a leather boot lace, and my Morris has (*blush*) a used white cotton sneaker lace.[/QUOTE

i just use a home-made strap I created from paracord for both of my mandolins, though I'll probably get a Lakotah strap eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    Since I was given the Strad-o-lin and it's my number two mandolin, I'm going to install the strap button. I just have to go out and get a small bit.
    But since I would be forced to removed the screw holding the tail piece in place, I just ran a boot lace underneath the tailpiece as recommended here rather than mess with the structure. I did put a strap button on the heel, though. It plays well now and is a lot easier. Thanks all.

Question Re: Strap for a Strad-ol-Lin? There's no strap button.

BITD , I had an A40 .. clamshell tail piece with a slide up cover ..
    for the heel there was a hump in the tailpiece running across it.. (pushing cover down, it stopped bumping up to it
    I Used that tunnel to tie a cord thru it and tie a knot in the cord ..

Or, .. there are 3 screws holding the tailpiece onto the heel block ..
    replace one screw with a longer screw and add an end button with one of those screws holding it on.. probably the middle one..

lots of others focused on the other end, there is no reason to repeat those ideas ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Ugh Strap around the headstock? - Drives me nuts whether it's a mando or a guitar. Just doesn't feel right.
    Ugh Strap under the fretboard extension? - So esthetically displeasing it makes me cringe.
    I must have my button or do without.

I like Mandroid's suggestion for the tail button, but where I don't have a tail button I'm still just doing without.

I have had my luthier drill holes in several neck heels with complete success, but haven't been brave enough to do it myself. I have an antique that has such a thin heel I am afraid to do that one, but if there is meat there, that's where the button goes. I've also seen buttons installed near there but through the side of the body into the neck block instead of the neck heel.

13. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

I put a button on the heel but ran a bootlace under the tailpiece for the other end.