Thread: Help choosing a Mandolin? Rogue, Epiphone, Ibanez?

Question Help choosing a Mandolin? Rogue, Epiphone, Ibanez?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and am planning on getting a mandolin for Christmas. I'm an avid guitar player and have always been a fan of mandolins in Celtic music. Decided it was finally time to try it out. I'm looking to buy a relatively low priced Mandolin and was wondering everyone's thoughts on these options:

Rogue RM-100A
    Epiphone MM-20
    Epiphone MM-30
    Ibanez M510

any thoughts on these? I expect about 99% of the time I will play acoustic, but for the other 1% I may want to pug into an amp. The Epi MM30 and Ibanez each come in an acoustic electric version - any opinions?

Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help choosing a Mandolin? Rogue, Epiphone, Ibanez?

Welcome to the Cafe, and welcome to the world of mandolins.

What's your budget?

There's a lot of bargains out there, but with the short scale of mandolins having a well set up mandolin is crucial for good playability [and if bad, can mean poor intonation and difficult fretting]. Whatever you do, I would strongly recommend [if buying online] to buy from somewhere that does a good setup prior to shipping. [most of the sponsors here do, I believe]

After having a mandolin for 6 years and a guitar for 20+, I figured the uke I got for my daughter online would be easy enough to setup on my own given it's far far simpler than either of the others. $40 later, I realize I should have bought from someone who set it up prior ... would have been cheaper to get as playable an instrument as that will ever be. Import mandolins may not be set up at the factory, and after the trip across the ocean are unlikely to be in ideal playability right out of the box [my uke sure wasn't] ... but my mando upgrade this summer was, as it was tweaked before it left their door.

--

The other question is how essential is plugging in? If it is just about never, I'd look for the best acoustic instrument you can get and either play through a mic [better sound than a pickup] or get something like a K&K and install it yourself on the nicest sounding mando you can afford.

For budget mandolins, I'd take a look at something like the Kentucky KM-150:
    http://www.folkmusician.com/Kentucky...ctinfo/KM-150/
    It's not the cheapest thing out there, but it is solid wood and from a cafe sponsor [who does a good setup prior to shipping]

Others can advise you more, as I haven't played that market for a while - but have heard quite a few people who have upgraded from their starter Kentuckys.

I'd also take a look in the classifieds here, as you can normally buy a lot more if used.

Good luck, have fun!

You're looking at four Asian-made, plywood, A-model, f-hole instruments ranging in price from $50 to $150. As Markus wisely says above, crucial factor in a "beginner" instrument is to get one that's properly set up and adjusted, so that it plays easily and in tune. You're not going to get great sound out of any mandolin in that price range, IMHO, but you can get satisfactory playability.

If you're interested in Celtic, you might find that more players in that genre play oval-hole, flat-top or canted-top instruments, which in general have a more "ringy," long-sustaining sound, as opposed to the more percussive "barky" sound of an f-hole, arched-top instruments (any mandolins in that price range will have a pressed or "induced-arch" top, rather than a carved top). That distinction's not overly important when you're just learning the instrument, but it may effect what you hear from your mandolin, which may not sound like the Celtic mandolin music to which you've been listening.

You're probably going to hear that you shouldn't spend as little as you're planning to spend -- but rather should save up additional buxx and buy a better instrument. On the other hand, it's perfectly possible to learn on a $150 mandolin, as long as it's properly set up. I would recommend, if it's possible, that you establish a relationship with a dealer in your area, especially one that does repairs and adjustments; if you can find one that sells properly adjusted "beginner" mandolins, that might be a place to start, though you may pay a bit more than you'd pay on line.

I would also concur in the advice not to buy a cheap acoustic-electric. By the time you've enough expertise to consider plugging in and playing, you'll probably be ready to buy a better instrument anyway
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've tried all those except for the Rogue.
    I prefer the Ibanez (I play the same one myself). With a good setup it plays just fine

At least, whatever you do - don't get a stagg. I had one, and it was quite awful compared to the other low-end mandolins I've played.

The ibanez m510 is actually the best mandolin I've played under $300. But then again, I've not played that many mandolins.

But most importantly: Try before you buy. Cheap mandolins are quite hit and miss :P

Blog Entries

Allen has an excellent point on the use of oval hole mandolins for Celtic music .... it doesn't stop me from using my f hole mando, but its not the typical.

I own a Rogue and I've tried both the Ibanez and the Epiphone (although I can't recall which one right this sec); none of them was what you'd call an outstanding instrument. Their selling point is their price, not their sound or playability. That being said, I like my Rogue and it mimics a perfectly acceptable mandolin since I got a proper setup (which cost $60 from a local luthier). It plinks, of course, but it works fine as a beater and a travel mandolin. I use my A with f holes for sessions, and nobody seems to notice, actually, so I wouldn't drive myself nuts looking for an oval if I were you if you are looking at these possibles as a starter. I'd also agree that you should buy a nice-sounding acoustic instrument and mike it or install a pickup rather than get a cheap electric/acoustic. What I noticed with the e/a instruments at this price range was their electronics were iffy and their acoustic sound was worse than a cheap acoustic-only instrument. ymmv, of course.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I would buy a Kentucky km150 before any of those listed. And I would'nt recommend a piezo transducer like the one installed in the mm30. I'd use a mic instead. You get a better sound for the $$ invested, and they are more versatile. Meaning that you can use a sm57 or 58 for a vocal mic as well.

Just my opinion, based on my experience. Others may vary.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I would buy a Kentucky km150 before any of those listed.
    That was my first mandolin, and I got it used for $125. Don't know what they cost new, but it was a good place to start. We have a fellow who plays an Ibanez at our jams, and it's a better instrument than some of the others that show up there.

Good luck!

I have an Epi MM-30 (acoustic only). It's my "backup" one since I got my Eastman. It's an older one, I'm thinking 1998 (?) not sure.
    The top is solid spruce, the sides/back mahogany (not solid, I think).
    I've had it for a long time, and jammed a lot with it years ago.
    I think it has a pretty decent tone, and I'm not sure why they get such bad reviews from folks here. (Maybe I just got a good one, or the were made better 10 years ago? Maybe it aged well? Maybe I'm just used to it)...
    I've tried a Rogue that someone I knew got hold of. I personally wouldn't get one after that. They are certainly inexpensive, but for not a lot more you do get a lot better instrument from the others you mentioned.
    I've also tried the Kentucky Km150 and agree that it is a nice instrument, I almost pulled the trigger and bought one, but honestly I didn't find it to be that much better then my old epi..YMMV...BUT if I was going to buy one today (Epi .vs Kentucky)...I would probably go Kentucky.

Anyway, hope this helps and doesn't muddy the decision more!
    Either way, though, remember ANY mando is better then NO mando.

Blog Entries

Mojo ... at this price level, I think we can expect a fair bit of variability. I know when I shopped for my first mando 8 years ago that I found a wide variance in the starter instruments [even within same brand/model].

Part of that is setup, but it's easy to stereotype budget mandolins and miss the fact there are some diamonds in the rough there - like your Epi. Years ago I borrowed one [my buddy's old mando] and it was encouraging enough to go get my own ... and after years of play sounded surprisingly good [where my starter mandolin after a few years sounded like a broken toy ukulele]

I do feel that the quality of inexpensive mandolins has gone up quite a lot since I bought one 8 years ago, especially once you hit $250 or so. The price gradient is still as steep, though ... they quickly get quite expensive.

My honest response to the list in your original post would be "none of the above".

If your budget is tight I'd suggest looking at a Rover or one of the entry level solid-top Kentucky mandos.

Whatever you buy at the budget end of the market, get it from someone who will set it up properly for you.

Of the ones listed I'd probably go with the Epi MM30 with a good set-up. Other options, particularly if you want to primarily play Celtic music, are Thomas Flood's instruments (check his website or the classifieds) as well as used Big Muddy or Gypsy mandolins. All will run about 300, which may be out of your budget, though you can occasionally find them used for under 300. The KM 150 is a good option as well, and I'd choose it over the ones you've checked out so far if I were buying without playing first...

Just make sure whatever you buy is set up...you can definitely learn on a budget mando, just don't expect 2000 (or even 500-1000) dollar tone and you'll probably be quite happy!
    Chuck

Thanks all, it seems to be a pretty good consensus to spend a little extra and get the Kentucky. Thanks for helping me out!!

Flat top and oval hole mandos are very nice for Celtic music, and seem almost to be the "accepted" kinds of instruments for that genre. However, certainly in Irish traditional music, the mandolin has not really been incorporated into the tradition long enough or fully enough for there to be "rules".

You may read in some places that you need an oval hole or a flat top. Forget that. If you want one of those types of mando then fine, but you don't need one. Personally I prefer an archtop f-hole mandolin as it cuts and projects better in noisy jams and sessions.

I play "Celtic" music as much as, or more than, bluegrass. I bought a KM-174 oval hole for its old time and Celtic tones. Great for gentle noodling with a couple of other players, but it wouldn't hold its own in a busy session.

A well set up KM-150 is a fair place to start, but if you're in no hurry you may want to bear in mind that the longer you can save the better the options get. At the entry level, even an extra $100 can make a difference.

Hope you find what you need.

Blog Entries

Rick, well said.

Blog Entries

All three of my beginner mandolins (older, Korean Epiphone MM-30, newer, Chinese Epiphone MM-30E and newer, Chinese Kentucky KM-150S) which I purchased used in varying degrees of neglect, sound different. However, since they're set up well now, they all sound nice to myself and anyone who's heard them (though perhaps none of us know any better).

As far as I've been able to determine, none of mine are plywood (tops). At least two of them are indeed pressed. There is indications on all three of some kind of sanding and/or shaping during their creation.

The problem with pressed tops as I see it is that they afford a poor joint at the head block and tail blocks (there's an arched gap). At least one one of mine, there is no such gap. I have a nonuseable, used KM-140 w/ laminate pressed top mandolin here with a crushed top at the tail and with no indication of any impact. I'm fairly confident that the damaged ocurred due to string tension and a gap between the top and the tail block. I bought it real cheap as is.

Which one sounds the best to me depends on which one I've been playing primarily. For example, I put the Kentucky away for a few weeks and played around with the Chinese Epiphone. When I picked up the Kentucky again for a couple weeks, it sounded horrible at first and now sounds very nice, and now the Epiphone sounds off. They all sound different.

As far as oval vs. F holes go...all of mine are F holed mandolins and the celtic stuff I play sounds celtic to me.
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.