Thread: Mandolin & cello duet pieces?

Blog Entries

Default Mandolin & cello duet pieces?

So yesterday I walked past my department chair and saw her dragging a cello case just about as big as she is. Also, a colleague in Austin plays cello...so I think I am being told something.

I would be greatly appreciative of your suggestions for duet pieces suitable for mandolin and cello that don't require Paganini level virtuosity.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Default Re: Mandolin & cello duet pieces?

You may want to look under "duets for violin and cello", of which there is of course an abundance. They will be naturally and immediately adaptable. Look on Shar's catalog, and/or all such other resources.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Blog Entries

Shar's catalog? Please don't assume I know anything!

Will then search for violin and cello. Of course, I'd still appreciate suggestions for good, non technical entry points, not having played classical to this point.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Blog Entries

There is an extraordinary amount of music out there. My goodness. May have to start with "Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring" since that seems within my technical ability and is an easily recognizable piece.
    Jason Anderson

Shar Music is (perhaps) the largest retailer of music for (bowed) strings in the US— hence my suggestion. But there are all sorts of outlets, and literally HUNDREDS of pieces you can choose from. So... have fun!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Registered User PenfoldPendleton's Avatar

Bocherrini's La Musica Notturna Delle Strade Di Madrid No. 6... the "Passe Calle" part. It is actually a quintet but if you have ever seen the end of the movie "Master and Commander Far Side of the World," it is played briefly by a violin and cello. It's of course easy to just play the violin part on mandolin. And I taught it to a friend on classical guitar (in place of a cello) and it makes a great duet. Very fun to play and uplifting, in fact it I call it a "good mood song." In fact I have posted this suggestion before when someone wanted a similar duet here... always nice to spread the great music of Bocherrini.
    If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts... I'd have adult onset diabetes.

Blog Entries

OK now I am LMAO at all of the "free sheet music" sites out there. "Yes, come in, its free! With midi files to help you learn how it should sound! Just need to register! never mind the credit card info required, just a formality, you can trust us. Or pay us $6 if you don't want to register. Still need that credit card info.
    Jason Anderson

Unfortunately I can't point out a link for the Bocherrini piece that's free... I paid 11.95 off one of the sheet music sites. (You get lots of music since its a quintet.) A little pricey, but there are worse things in life to waste money on, and sheet music is never a bad thing to have around. If ya can check out the end of that movie Master and Commander on youtube you will see that it really is a fun piece for two people, especially a mandolin and cello.

Blog Entries

I noticed on the door as I came in that this is the classical room. But just a plug for mandolin and cello in general.

I have played with cello many times, and I look forward to it.

The two sound good together. Great together actually. You have the contrast in pitch and the contrast in how they sound plucked and then bowing versus tremolo. The overall effect works. They compliment each other and there is a way they "fit". This is especially true if you can combine a cello with great thick non-windy tone with a mandolin of great creamy non-tinny tone. I like the sound of a mandolin and cello together better than mandolin with mandocello, actually, which can sound too plucky, and while its a matter of taste, to my ear the mandolin and cello has some interesting classical possibilities that violin and cello do not. And the cello (or is it cello players?) are not limited to playing bass notes like the dog house bass. Cello on melody and harmony parts, just heavenly.

Most of my experience has been jamming with cellos on the fiddle tune repertory, and Christmas music. The music gets bigger than either of us can make individually. We have a "church bass" (sort of an American folk version of the cello) that comes to our jams on occation, and everyone sounds better.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PenfoldPendleton View Post
    Unfortunately I can't point out a link for the Bocherrini piece that's free... I paid 11.95 off one of the sheet music sites. (You get lots of music since its a quintet.) A little pricey, but there are worse things in life to waste money on, and sheet music is never a bad thing to have around. If ya can check out the end of that movie Master and Commander on youtube you will see that it really is a fun piece for two people, especially a mandolin and cello.
    Thanks for this suggestion! I'm not adverse to paying for sheet music of course, but I think I'd prefer to do so via a brick and mortar (I have a good classical music store not too far from here) or a...reputable site at least (and thanks to Victor for suggesting one of those).
    Jason Anderson

Also I wouldn't look for pieces that are just for violin and cello... there is a lot of music you can adapt to a mando and cello. One that comes to mind is Offenbach's "Infernal Gallop." (If you have ever seen a bugs bunny cartoon you know this music!) It would be a great song that with a little tweaking would be nice to hear and play on those two instruments. You could have some fun going back and forth on the main "hook" of that song. Not difficult either. And that is very easy to find free online.

A couple of reputable and really free sites for lots of sheet music:

Icking Music Archive

The Mutopia Project

It is a deep well... have fun hunting...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I

The two sound good together. Great together actually. You have the contrast in pitch and the contrast in how they sound plucked and then bowing versus tremolo. The overall effect works. They compliment each other and there is a way they "fit".
    Jasona,
    I agree with Jeff. I played with a cello and it was nice. We liked the duets of Jean-Baptiste Bréval. The violin (mandolin) part you can play in the first position and the two instruments are really in dialogue. Especially when your cellist likes an equivalent part, I would recommand.
    I've got the sheet music. It will not be very expensive, if you go to the shop that you mention, you can probably have a look into them. If not I can show you a copy, by e-mail. Somehow I have also some midi's, but I cannot remember where and how I got it, I suppose downloaded on a page...
    Wish you fun, enjoy !

The best would probably be ORIGINAL music for mandolin and cello !!!
    There is a HUGE quantity of 18th century Sonatas for neapolitan mandolin and bass (in reality intended for viola or cello, instead of erroneously published for cembalo or guitar by french or german publishers), the best being in my eyes (and ears) by Leone, and some stuff by Denis, Gervasio, Riggieri, Majo, Prota, Lauro, Giuliano, Barbella among many others. Simply use the bass of the guitar or cembalo arrangement for the cello player...
    Pietro Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Pietrobono View Post
    Leone, and some stuff by Denis, Gervasio, Riggieri, Majo, Prota, Lauro, Giuliano, Barbella among many others. Simply use the bass of the guitar or cembalo arrangement for the cello player...
    In my opinion not always so easy for someone who takes his first steps into the classical mandolin world. I am told, that many duets were composed for teacher and student to play, where the teacher played the second mandolin or the cello part. I do not know all duets of these composers, but some of them are rather difficult for a beginner.
    A bass arrangement is mostly accompaniment and maybe the cellist in a duo likes to have other stuff, not always and necessary accompaniment. Of course they are lovely and it is nice to play music that is originally meant for mandolin and cello. But probably a next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietrobono View Post
    There is a HUGE quantity of 18th century Sonatas for neapolitan mandolin and bass (in reality intended for viola or cello, instead of erroneously published for cembalo or guitar by french or german publishers), the best being in my eyes (and ears) by Leone, and some stuff by Denis, Gervasio, Riggieri, Majo, Prota, Lauro, Giuliano, Barbella among many others. Simply use the bass of the guitar or cembalo arrangement for the cello player...
    There is quite a bit of the music mentioned by Pietro with a quick search for mandolin on the Mutopia site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ah, this thread gives me a chance to plug the wonderful music of Tim Ware and his group from long ago. You can read all about this great band and listen to their two records at Tim's website.

The wonderful Shelter from the Norm album contains a very fun "Duet for Mandolin and Cello" that is a little challenging but not wildly virtuosic. It is certainly "classical". You can view and download the score here, thanks to Mr. Ware's generosity.

I never got to hear this band live, and I never owned the first album, but I listened to Shelter from the Norm many, many times. There were a number of bands in the late 70s, early 80s performing great Dawg-inspired music (who here remembers Pink and the Naturals from Bloomington, Indiana?) but the TWG had their own special style. The cello was central to their sound and you might be able to gather some inspiration from them.

I certainly agree with all the other excellent advice as well.

John G.

18. The following members say thank you to John Goodin for this post:

Blog Entries

Thank you all for this help! I'm now overwhelmed :D
    Jason Anderson

+1 for the Boccherini duet that Penfold mentioned. It is a great piece of music, and not hard to learn.

Here's a link to a video featuring the duet the end of the movie Master and Commander:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVN5...eature=related

Josh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kaplan View Post
    +1 for the Boccherini duet that Penfold mentioned. It is a great piece of music, and not hard to learn.

Here's a link to a video featuring the duet the end of the movie Master and Commander:

Josh
    Thanks for the link (and the subsequent ones to other performances). Its a really catchy tune!
    Jason Anderson

Prof. Eric Gross has written a work for MANDOLA AND V'CELLO:
    Op.202 Michael's Meanderings(1995) written for MICHAEL HOOPER
    Dur. 3'15"
    Instr.: V'cello and Mandola.
    recorded on the Jade CD JADCD 1068

Yet another voice raised in praise of Boccherini.

Our own Victor Kioulaphides has published a series of Greek mandolinatas with guitar parts that are fun and not too demanding. Very sticky melodies; after a while they seem to pop into your playing without conscious thought. "Where have I heard that before?" you'll wonder. Or maybe that's just an old man thing.

Almost any of the baroque/early classical music for mandolin and basso continuo will be readily palyable by that combo without any modification/arranging at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDView Po
    Hi I agree, of course this an old thread, but I have to agree while I page through the archives of the Classical music for mandolin forum!

Mandolin and cello will be beautiful together, like fall: golden brown and creamy gold, burnt orange and burgundy leaves fallen from trees! What a beautiful colour and texture mandolin and cello will evoke!
    Happy playing!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kaplan View Post

Josh
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Procession_of_the_Military_Night_Watch_in_Madrid-Score_and_Parts.pdf 
Views:	85 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	175687