Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bill Monroe's Lifestyle

Default Bill Monroe's Lifestyle

I have to admit I don't really know much about Bill Monroe. I was wondering if starting a thread that would tell us some facts and stories about Monroe would be fair. There are many on this site who knew him personally. So, this is my query, let us have your thoughts, personal stories, and facts about Bill Monroe which includes his personality and character. We'll see how that goes.

--Duane
    "....if you can't find a way out...go deeper in..."

Eastman 805D
    Fender 53S SB

Default Re: Bill Monroe's Lifestyle

He plowed the farm with a pair of mule.
    The driveway had a rock from every country and place he play.
    He wore cuff link.

Take a look through these threads. The applicable subject lines will jump right out at you.

He preferred a rectangular case over a shaped case (rational man that he was).

Blog Entries

I heard he played mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Lived on a farm... Had lotsa chicks...

7. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

The book "Can't You Hear Me Calling" is a great resource.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Blog Entries

Duane, there is a very informative and enjoyable documentary film (about 90 minutes long, as I recall) about Bill Monroe which you can watch at this site.
    I, too, knew very little about Monroe and found this film to be an excellent source of introductory information.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

One thing I would like to point out about Bill, and I got this from one of his band members, is that when he was on stage he made the audience think they were calling the show, he asked for requests and he knew already what songs his band was going to play and as the requests came in he would wait until he heard one that he had planned for this show and they would play it....Not a thing in the world wrong with that and it makes the audience think that he was doing this just to please them...I had heard his older songs many times,so much that I wanted to hear some of his newer stuff and when I called out my requests he didn`t do a one of them because they weren`t on his planned program...But he was will loved and knew how to work a crowd....Willie

Bill was a tough man from a tough time in history. He lived through the Great Depression, WWII, and all wars to follow. He knew how hard a dollar was to come by and worked very hard at what he did. He expected others to have the same commitment to what ever they did as he did to his craft. He was incredibly creative and very smart. He was the consummate gentleman every time I was with him and if he liked you he treated you like family. If he did not, he did not have much use for you. You pretty well knew where you stood with Bill, and I appreciated that. There are many stories about Bill. Many complimentary, some not so much. Many are true... some are myth. He is one of the few men in the music industry whose talent and commitment both reached the levels they did and this is reflected by his admission to the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and the Bluegrass equivalent.

There are a number of books written by ex band members that are well worth reading and considering. Those of us who knew him all have our stories. Mine are quite memorable and I am thankful for the opportunity to get to know a few of my musical heros. Amongst them is certainly Mr. Bill. Certainly a hero of the highest order!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

Not so sure he preferred the rectangle/oblong cases. The first Loar was carried in a shape case for about 18 years. His next case was given to him as a gift from Tut Taylor and was a Gibson oblong case. The third case was also given to him by the bluegrass boys as a BD gift and was oblong loar style case. Sounds like he preferred what was given to him at the time.

15. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

He had a lazy eye. It either self corrected some or he had some sort of surgery/exercise routine as it was far worse in earlier years
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    ....Sounds like he preferred what was given to him at the time.
    That fits more with his other preferences. I love the story about which pick he preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Duane, there is a very informative and enjoyable documentary film (about 90 minutes long, as I recall) about Bill Monroe which you can watch at this site.
    I, too, knew very little about Monroe and found this film to be an excellent source of introductory information.
    Thank you, Ed, for "this site" as the movie was superb but it did not go into his death (obviously because he was alive for the shoot and still alive for the ending). Part of the mystic of these type of people of great notoriety like Bill Monroe, it seems to me, is their passing. Is there a film that covers that part of his stature kind of like the funeral procedings of Elvis (as an example) that is recorded on film. I suppose a good biography would be a necesarry read to get to that info....Duane

Eastman 805D
    Fender 53S SB

One of the first places I start when wondering about a band or artist is All Music Guide. Link to Monroe's page on allmusic.com below with discography, bio, etc.

http://allmusic.com/artist/bill-monroe-p663
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Graves View Post
    ...Is there a film that covers that part of his stature kind of like the funeral procedings of Elvis (as an example) that is recorded on film. I suppose a good biography would be a necesarry read to get to that info....Duane
    I dont know of a film (yet) that covers it, but (to second what Nelson said), the book "Cant You Hear Me Calling", does cover it, and is an exceptional book.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Graves View Post
    I suppose a good biography would be a necesarry read to get to that info....
    A very complete recent biography is Richard D. Smith's Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe (Little, Brown & Co., published in 2000, 365 pp.) It goes in detail into Monroe's personal life (fairly tumultuous!) as well as his music. There's a full chapter on Monroe's final illness and his death in September 1996. One of the sad elements is that James Monroe tried to talk the estranged Jimmy Martin into visiting Monroe on his deathbed, but Martin wasn't sure Monroe would welcome him, and never went to the nursing home. The book also contains a detailed description of Monroe's funeral and interment; apparently, during all the dirge-like music in the church, Marty Stuart suggested the musicians play Raw Hide, and Ricky Skagg's yelled, "Take it, Bill!" for the last break.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ...snip...The book also contains a detailed description of Monroe's funeral and interment; apparently, during all the dirge-like music in the church, Marty Stuart suggested the musicians play Raw Hide, ...snip...
    Yet another in a long list of reasons to like Marty Stuart!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

23. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

Tom Ewing's forthcoming biography will be THE definitive work on William Smith Monroe.
    In the interim, read Ewing's "THE Bill Monroe Reader" http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books...252025006.html for a good read on Bill.

You just can't find anyone to compare Mr. Monroe to. I only worked three months for him and have hours of stories.He was good to his fans but very demanding on the bluegrass boys.I can tell you ,if someone asked for a song ,you better know it or hang on cause you was fixin to learn it! If you can go to the bluegrass hall of fame in sept of 2011,there will be lots of folks to talk with that loved that old man and love to tell their stories. Scottie B

Also,whilst not 100% about Bill Monroe, "I Hear a Voice Calling" by one of his Fiddle players,Gene Lowinger offers many insights as to what it was like to work for Bill Monroe & well worth reading.
    For me,Bill Monroe was a musical genius,pure & simple. An awesome & & inspiring musician, with a vision of what he wanted 'musically', that few other musicians have ever had.
    scottieb - Have you heard of anything planned up & around Bill Monroe's old home at Rosine for his 100th birthday celebration ?.It seems to me to be THE place to hold one rather than in a Museum. I betcha i know where Bill would be on that day. By the Bluegrass Hall of Fame,do you mean the Bluegrass Museum in Owensboro ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Duane-

As others have said, the book "Can't You Hear Me Calling" goes into depth on his final illness, death and funeral. Several chapters. I got it as a Christmas gift from my daughter one Christmas, but you can get a cheap copy from Ebay. You won't regret reading this one.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Lived on a farm... Had lotsa chicks...
    hint, hint...

In 1994 when he was in his eighties, Bill Monroe could still put up a show that could put many a younger professional to shame. His stage presence was inspiring and captured the audience entirely. I had the good fortune to se a Ryman performance in said year.
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    Duane-

As others have said, the book "Can't You Hear Me Calling" goes into depth on his final illness, death and funeral. Several chapters. I got it as a Christmas gift from my daughter one Christmas, but you can get a cheap copy from Ebay. You won't regret reading this one.
    Thanks to all for pointing this book out to me. It must be a good one as it has been mentioned many times. I ordered it last night.

Eastman 805D
    Fender 53S SB

Quote Originally Posted by evanreilly View Post
    Tom Ewing's forthcoming biography will be THE definitive work on William Smith Monroe
    I will be interested to read that book; I personally feel that Richard D. Smith's "Can't You Hear Me Callin'" will be very hard to surpass. His book has been criticized for various reasons, but I feel that his extremely thorough and well-presented biography struck a very fair stance between the obvious respect and admiration that many of us have for WSM, while at the same time also being unafraid to include and explore some of the well-known quirks and pettiness that were a part of him as well.
    The two books written by ex-Bluegrass Boys banjo players Butch Robins' "What I Know 'Bout What I Know" and Bob Black's "Come Hither to Go Yonder" are also required reading.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues