Thread: WT&B New York? Does anyone know of this maker?

Default WT&B New York? Does anyone know of this maker?

I have a vintage bowl type mandolin with a label on the inside reading, "Carmencita Mandolin, W.T. & B. New York.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103_1088.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	65647  

Default Re: WT&B New York? Does anyone know of this maker?

I am not home with my reference works, but I would make a guess at William Tonk & Brothers. I have a couple of catalogs at home, one from 1902 (I think) and one from later. I think i recall that Carmencita model. It looks rather plain, factory made. Possibly, decent sound tho. Usual caveat, extra light strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: WT&B New York? Does anyone know of this maker?

This is an interesting discussion. Was William Tonk related to the (eventual) Tonk Bros. who consolidated various Chicago brands in the '20s? I have found some references to W Tonk and a piano making company in NYC that was involved with other instruments (sales and/or manufacture.) This fellow, Peter Adams, has what appears to be an amazing collection of old catalogs:

http://peterhadams.com/T%20titles.htm

The W Tonk catalogs go back to the early 1890s, around the time of references to the founding of Tonk Bros. by one Charles Tonk.

I have an "Edwin" mandolin in my files with the note "Edwin WTB, NY-Chicago. This reference from the Adams site looks tantalizing:

Tonk, William & Bro. The "Edwin" album of Celebrities using and endorsing The "Edwin" Guitars and Mandolins. NY, NY: William Tonk & Bro; 1894, [32 p.] Strings: plucked. Page content alternates between illustration of actresses and players with testimonials, with illustrations of instruments ML155.T65

Looks like a lot of material is out there. Maybe Jim or others has some more to post.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	William Tonk-1903-Ad.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	65695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edwin-WTB-NY-Chicago-Front.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	65696  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig