Thread: seeking Hop High My Lulu Gal

Default seeking Hop High My Lulu Gal

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find sheet music for Hop High My Lulu Gal.

Thanks!

John Elemans

Blog Entries

Default Re: seeking Hop High My Lulu Gal

PM sent. Check your inbox.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Blog Entries

Oops, my bad. The song I have is "Hop High Ladies" and not that requested. Many apologies.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

You'll just have to look at the multiple (perhaps 41,396) variations of Hop High that are out there. That's one of those tunes that's got the name, words and even tune altered by different performers. Sometimes it sounds like a real modal downer, like in Dirk Powell's version on fretless banjo, to amped up burner like Crooked Still's, and sometimes it sounds exactly like Mrs. McCleoud's Reel with yet another name (like Have You Ever Seen The Devil Uncle Joe.) Perhaps if you'd tell everyone the performer's version you're after someone might know.

I was actually looking for the Crooked Still version. I didn't realize that there
    were so many versions.

Thanks!

Aoife and the gang's arrangements are always pretty fascinating, so it'll be tough to match that up exactly. For a stripped-down, easier to lear version give Dirk Powell's a listen, sounds like it's 200 years old.

Tune DB is usually a great place to find this stuff, but they only list the McCleod's reel version.

Looking around for a minute shows I'm no further help here! I tried a few other tune databases and came up empty. Just have to pop it on the cd player and work it out. Rush's opening cello solo pretty much sums the tune up; get that down and get a great band to cook behind you, add a great singer, and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Charlieshafer; Dec-01-2010 at 7:57pm. Reason: really bad spelling

There's a version of it on one of John Reischman's 'Jaybirds' CD's "The Road West" & "Hop High Ladies" is on another Jaybirds CD 'Field Guide'.. When i bought the 'Road West' I put the CD on without looking at the track titles.When ''Hop High....'' came on,i thought that they were singing 'Popeye my Lulu Gal'. I had a heck of a laugh about it !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That would make it "Popeye, Olive's my girl." Uh oh, I feel a song coming on...
    Last edited by Charlieshafer; Dec-02-2010 at 5:17pm. Reason: an incredible number of tyopos