Thread: playing relaxed/improving technique..

Default playing relaxed/improving technique..

A common theme to good technique is to play relaxed and not have tension in any part of the body. This seems to be the one common aspect to all great players techniques...

A question that I have which I supose came out of trying to improve right hand picking but could apply to any technique is;

1. should you be perfectly relaxed whenever you play as to play when not totally relaxed reinforces bad technique?

or,
    2. In order to play relaxed (and controlled) you need to build up strength and therefore spend a long time practicing in a way which doesn't feel relaxed but builds up strength so that ultimately you will be able to play relaxed?

I would be interested to hear what people think about this..

Default Re: playing relaxed/improving technique..

I struggle with tension in everything but playing the mandolin brings it out quite effectively!

What I do is try and remain conscious of tension as it arises in my playing. Often once you notice it, you can stop for just a moment, shake out your hands and take a couple breaths and return to playing. I think the key is not to continue for very long with excess tension.

Conversely, on the occasions where I sit down and seem to play almost tension free I try to just enjoy the moment and keep playing as long as possible. Basically, when you're tense take a break and when you're relaxed keep playing. That's my goal.

interested to hear responses to this too. also i think i tense up when i get nervous about playing...

I don't believe one can TOTALLY relax any time one plays. It does take SOME muscle pressure/tension to hold a pick, hold your arms in a playing position, stand, sit, move the pick, move your fingers, etc.

I think a better way to look at this is to eliminate tension that is not needed to get the job done.

Many of you have seen these, but for others who haven't, I did a series of youtube videos on ergonomic mando techniques as taught me by a terrific performing arts doctor. They are a good place to begin your journey to more relaxed playing. You can see them at my web site below.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I've watched Pete's videos and his guiding principle can hardly be overstated. The single best way to keep tension from ruining your playing experience (and your body!) is to hold and play the instrument with technique that does not create unneeded tension and disfunction in the first place.

Legend has it Buzz Busby used to speed up his heart to get his other-worldly tremolo. If that don't increase tension, I'm a monkey's uncle.

What I have found is that the amount of time you spend practicing or playing while using good posture, loose pick grip, proper left hand fingerings, correct pick direction, etc., has a profound effect on how relaxed you are when you playing. Spending many many hours with a metronome is also a good way to achieve this. So what it amounts to for me is good fundamentals. If you spend 4 hrs per day practicing but not paying attention to good fundamentals, you will most likely learn many songs but you may not have a very relaxed delivery. Watch yourself play while sitting in front of a mirror to get an idea of what you look like. If you look uncomfortable than you are. It boils down to good fundamentals = relaxed playing.

Blog Entries

Good post Don. I would also add that from the fundamentals comes the confidence that you can do it. IOW, play slow to play fast.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I've mentioned it before here and there, the excellent book "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner. He discusses tension and relaxation, and the inner dialogue that many musicians have while playing. Really, a good read!

Thanks for the replies and I'll have a look at your website this eve Pete (thanks for the link, am at work now )...

I suppose if I am more specific when discussing this issue with relation to right hand technique, I find that to play in a very controlled mannor which gets the best tone etc that I do have a certain amount of tension in my right forearm and sometimes shoulder. When I relax and pick with no tension it can sound a little sloppy.

I am guessing that I need to practice slowly to build up strength and that a certain amount of tension will be inevitable in this learning process...