Thread: Big Muddy Mandolins

Smile Big Muddy Mandolins

Hello, I am searching for a new mandolin. My budget is around $350 or $400. Do you guys recommend big muddies? I have played on them a couple of times and I like them. I am thinking about getting the MW-0. I found a new one at a local store for $300. Are there any other mandolins to consider around this price range?

Default Re: Big Muddy Mandolins

If you found a new one for $300, snag it. Big Muddies in my opinion are probably the most user friendly mandolins out there. They sound and play great and at $300 will hold it's value. Check out the Big Muddy social group for insights and examples.

Dave

Hey, glad you posted, I just took delivery of my own MW-0 Big Muddy this evening and that Walnut has a very sweet sound! Nice volume, nice sustain and nice overtones. I only had a little time to play it so far, but it has that wonderful, full sound that all Big Muddies have. They are very well made and play easy and they have excellent intonation which is very important. Yes, as Dave said, they hold there value very well. Best of luck, no matter what you decide. You can check out the kentucky line for some other options in your price range for a more bluegrassy sound if that is what you are after.
    Richard Russell

Registered User & Abuser

300 is a steal and would be very hard to pass up but you should call Mike and talk about what your limit of 400 could get you - spending the extra 100 may go a long way AND you get to talk to him which alone is worth the price of admission.

Bob

Three Hundred US is a good price for a used Mid Missouri, a new Big Muddy for that Money is a real bargain.

If you don't buy this thing please let me know where it is so I can order it.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Blog Entries

Excellent starter mandolin. Light, delicate sound that is pleasing to the novice player. Easy fretting making the initial learning simple.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Excellent mandolin. Light delicate sound that is pleasing. Easy fretting makes playing a joy.
    Big Muddies, they're not just for beginners anymore...

Dave

I paid 398 at gryphon for the same model in question here...go buy that thing if it's really 300 new (or used)! Big Muddies are truly great for beginners and I have always believed that they are professional quality and can be a lifetime instrument.
    Richard Russell

I think i am going to buy it, but i have to wait until christmas. Thanks for the advice.

They have a M-2 Model I think for about $425 or $450 there. I could also check and see if they have another MW-0. ColdBeerGoCubs

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Russell View Post
    . . . truly great for beginners and I have always believed that they are professional quality and can be a lifetime instrument.
    My first "real" mandolin (after a long series of pawnshop specials and lost causes) was my Mid-Mo M4, about five years ago. Every time I've thought I should upgrade, I've stopped and asked myself . . . why? Great quality (I'm a professional -- just not a professional musician ), playability, tone, and value. This is the one I'll bring with me when they check me into the Home!

Go for it Schubs -- you should have a lot of fun with it.

BTW, what does the M-4 go for there? (That's personal favorite of the bunch, which sells for $525 and up elsewhere.)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by Jim MacDaniel View Post
    Go for it Schubs -- you should have a lot of fun with it.

BTW, what does the M-4 go for there? (That's personal favorite of the bunch, which sells for $525 and up elsewhere.)
    I'll have to check. I don't know if they have an M-4.

Registered User & Abuser

schubs baby, there's a 2003 M-1 in the classifieds for 4 bills shipped w/ extras like gold 308's, a rosewood armrest, gold tailpiece & gig bag ....it's got your name on it.

Hey Bob, I already got dibs on that one...

Dave

Registered User & Abuser

Whatta you need TWO mahogany ones for? Earrings?

It's an investment, someday these will be worth $hundreds$. Actually I want to get one for my daughter, but maybe I'll like it and give her the dulcimer instead...

Dave

Thanks for the replies guys. I can't wait until i get it.

I like Big Muddy/Mid Mo mandolins. A lot. I almost bought one a couple months back after craving that old flattop tone. But I just decided to play what I have.

I think it would be a mistake to consider these mandolins anything other than a fine instrument. I see nothing "beginner" about them, and I think a person could do just fine playing one for a lifetime as an only instrument. I just think some perspective is needed here, especially around this time of year. There are many places in the world where people make music their entire lives on what most here would consider a "beater." A Mid Mo/Big Muddy to someone like that would be a treasure along the same lines as a Stradivarius, as would most anything that held tune and had some kind of proper intonation.

I'm not trying to be a drag, or sound high and mighty, but I'm just offering a different take on things. I for one appreciate what Big Muddy is doing for the mandolin market: offering a no-frills, quality instrument for people wanting to keep it about the music. After all, does the world really need another F-5 copy?

Caleb, well said. That's exactly how I feel about the Mandolins and the maker...

Dave