Thread: Trinity College serial number - year of manufacture

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Default Trinity College serial number - year of manufacture

Does anyone know what series of digits in the serial number of Trinity College instruments denotes the year of manufacture.

I have TC mandola which has a serial number beginning with 02. Does that mean the instrument was manufacture in 2002?

Please advise - thanks

Default Re: Trinity College serial number - year of manufacture

Apparently there is someone named David Gartland at Saga Musical Instruments who has helped other people with determining their serial number dates. Other Saga-family instruments have serial numbers with the first two digits indicating year, the second two month, so it would make sense that the TC's do as well. Here's a communication from Mr. Gartland to a Blueridge guitar owner:
    The label is the best way to figure out the completion date for the guitar. The number on the neck block is an additional tracking number used internally.
    It is true that the number on the neck block will be different, but it will probably start with similar numbers to those on the label (but not always)...representing the year produced. The 3rd and 4th numbers usually represent the month the guitar was produced.
    If this doesn't make sense when you check out your numbers, send me both and I will try to decipher the info..

David Gartland
    Saga Musical Instruments
    Marketing Director
    www.sagamusic.com

You might try e-mailing him to get an authoritative answer on your mandola's serial number.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: Trinity College serial number - year of manufacture

Looking for information on a used Trinity College Octave, serial number 1204130293. I cannot find a "price list" for different models, but I have seen a wide range of listings for similar instruments. I know SAGA imports these, but again no clear information on different models and prices. I see listings for "TM 325" model, but I do not find any such label on mine. I assume they make good beginner versions and more high end semi-professional grade models. Anybody with information on models, prices, serial nos. etc?

jim
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile