Thread: Kluson mandolin tuning machines

Blog Entries

Default Kluson mandolin tuning machines

I replaced the Kluson "Deluxe" machines on our orchestra mandolin with Siminoff F-4 nickel plated, gear-under. Very nice machines, but what interests me is that the Klusons were clearly the original tuners, no extra holes or alterations underneath them. If I can date the earliest this tuner set was available then I have a upper limit on the age of this instrument. (Kluson does not offer mandolin tuners now, that I can find.)

I also have a memory of a now-deceased member saying it was made in a local shop, Kagan and Gaines. Bozo Podunavac was working in the same building and it has been suggested he worked in this style so could have made this as a low-cost shop commission.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pegs_back.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	65142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4back~.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	65144 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orch_new.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	65143
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Default Re: Kluson mandolin tuning machines

This seems like Deja Vu all over again

They appear on mandolins made from the very late 40's into the 60's. You can assume there might have been replacement tuners on the market in the 70's. It's possible that some new old stock might have been around longer than that. They were used by Gibson, Martin, and Kay. Harmony might have used them as well though all of those I've seen have been open back. As those buttons aren't deteriorating I would assume they are from the 60's or later unless the buttons were replaced.

Tom,

I can't quite make out if you are saying that you needed to re-drill the holes on your mando to replace the Klusons with the Siminoff F-4 tuners. I have an F-12 with worn-out Klusons that I want to replace, but I don't want to have to re-drill. Will the Siminoff F-4 tuners drop in without re-drilling? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    I replaced the Kluson "Deluxe" machines on our orchestra mandolin with Siminoff F-4 nickel plated, gear-under. Very nice machines, but what interests me is that the Klusons were clearly the original tuners, no extra holes or alterations underneath them. If I can date the earliest this tuner set was available then I have a upper limit on the age of this instrument. (Kluson does not offer mandolin tuners now, that I can find.)

I also have a memory of a now-deceased member saying it was made in a local shop, Kagan and Gaines. Bozo Podunavac was working in the same building and it has been suggested he worked in this style so could have made this as a low-cost shop commission.

Name:	pegs_back.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	65142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4back~.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	65144 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orch_new.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	65143

So why did you change them? Weren't the Klusons doing their job any longer?

1969-1974 "Gibson Deluxe" style Kluson tuners
    http://www.guitarhq.com/kluson.html

Kluson tuners are being made again. They were unavailable starting in the early 80’s when the company went out of business, but then WD Music Brands acquired the name in 1993. The owner of WD decided to start making them again. A simple internet search will take you to their website. They make 4 on a plate mandolin tuners. They are part of the Supreme series. And they are also available from WD, a very large distributor if instrument parts. NFI.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The new Klusons are quite good and the only tuners that look right on the Gibsons that had them originally. The shafts on most other tuners are too long.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Place an add on this here great café? I know the originals are out there if you want a correct resto that is? I've never had a problem with my originals that I have on some pre-war Gibson mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    The new Klusons are quite good and the only tuners that look right on the Gibsons that had them originally. The shafts on most other tuners are too long.
    And conversely, the Kluson tuner shafts are rather short depending on the head stock shape and dimensions. My '56 F-12 was equipped with Kluson tuners and the shaft on one of the D strings was so short that a notch was cut out of the button so it could clear the side of the head stock when turning (see photo below). Ugghhh!! Unsightly at best and compounded by their rather excessive weight. I swapped them out for a set of Gotoh tuners to cut down on the neck heaviness and improve tuning accuracy. I love the look of Kluson tuners but that's where my affection ends.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-12HeadBack052004.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	172961  

10. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Name:	F-12 Gotohs.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	172968

And with the Gotoh tuners with MOP buttons. So much better imho.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

12. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I've always loved this picture that Paul Hostetter posted of the inside a Kluson tuner. I'd never taken a set apart and honestly, unless you're looking for that vintage Kluson look you'd probably be best served with a different tuner brand. It's pretty shocking how they were built.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Has anybody here actually installed a set of the new Klusons as replacements? I ask because I bought a set a year or so ago and found that they did not "drop in" to the existing holes. It is kinda fuzzy in my mind, but I know I did drop a set of Grovers in instead with no problem. I think maybe the problem was that the posts were too big to fit through the existing ferrules and I didn't want to pull them out and put in the supplied ferrules for fear of messing up the headstock. Or maybe I just dreamed it all up. Except I do still have a virgin set of Klusons in my closet.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

FWIW those buttons look similar to the Klusons on my '64 Gibson EM-200. They age to a sort of snot-green. I don't know if that helps with the dating or not.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1