Thread: I need some help with buying my 1st mandolin

Default I need some help with buying my 1st mandolin

so, im new to mandolin and I'm looking to buy my first one. I have about 250 dollars set aside for this purpose. but heres the catch, i have to buy my instrument at guitar center. I've done plenty of research and found that in a perfect world where money doesn't matter I would want high end f-style, but money's tight, so I've narrowed done all the options i had down to what seems to be the best one. its an ibanez f style with a solid spruce top, but doesn't have the fancy headstock. good buy for the $300 ?

Default Re: I need some help with buying my 1st mandolin

Looks like Guitar Center basically carries Gibson, Breedlove, Ibanez, Epiphone and Washburn as their product lines, with a few Fenders, Ovations and Godins thrown in. The standard Cafe mantra is that for a given dollar amount, you get "more mandolin" by buying an A-style, since you're not paying for the fancy carving that doesn't improve the sound. But with the models you have to choose from at GC, the Ibanez (I gather it's the M-522S) doesn't look too bad. It's got a solid pressed top, laminated back and sides, rosewood bridge and fingerboard. Many of these Asian instruments are over-finished, with thick lacquer that inhibits vibration of the top; don't know if that's particularly true of Ibanez.

Since you have to buy at Guitar Center (probably got a gift card, right?), we can't recommend Kentucky instruments, which are the normal preference among Cafe types for intro-level mandolins. Look at the Washburns as well, play as many as you can find in your neighborhood usually-understocked, mostly-electric-guitar store, and don't be dazzled by the more ornate F-styles if you can find an A-style that plays and sounds better. For the first mandolin, sound and playability are where it's at, not appearance -- though I love an F-style as much as the next guy...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Save a little more and get something like an Eastman. I think they are a good deal for entry level. I believe around $500 will get you something in the A-style if you look around. As far as Guitar Center, nothing in your price range I would really recommend except when it comes to cheaper instruments, I wouldnt spend part of your $300 on scroll work and cosmetics. Your not gonna get a whole lot for that kind of money anyway. Try to get the most tone for youre buck and look at an A-style [i.e. an $800 f-style model will have a similar quality $500 A-Style "sibling" instrument with similar tone just without the scroll work and points etc. A $300 model F-style....well... you get the picture. Better tone and playability [good set up] will also allow you to enjoy it more. Just my opinion. BTW I have no interest in nor gain from promoting Eastman

What Allen said! Kentucky A is another good entry level recommendation.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I got my first mandolin at GC, I think. It was a solid-topped Fender. I think there was another Fender there that was about the same price, but had a built-in pickup. I wondered why it wasn't more expensive, until I noticed that the electric one had a plywood top, and sounded like ####. The solid-top A model sounded way better, and I ended up taking it home. I think this one is the one I got. I ended up 'loaning' it to someone who never gave it back. It was a good starter mandolin, I suppose.

If you HAVE to buy at GC, you might ask them if they have, or have access to, any blems, returns, or seconds. They surely have ways to see if other GCs have deals. Sometimes a tiny inperfection will knock a ton off the price. I got a $600 Eastman for $500 once because it had such a tiny flaw in the back finish that I could barely find it. I think the most important thing to know when shopping around this price point is that if it has a solid spruce top, it will say so in the specs. If it says 'select spruce', that means it's plywood. The mandolins I see at GC that say it has a 'curved maple back and sides'-- that means it's steam-bent plywood. I don't think the back and sides are as important as the top, and I understand that there are some even with all-plywood mandolins that sound okay. For $250, I would look for an 'A' model, solid spruce top, solid back and sides if possible (probably not), and have them at least go through it for you. By that I mean that it probably got zero set-up work at GC, and the techs there are probably all guitar guys with very few mandolin clues. Nevertheless, I'd insist that they check it for any low or high frets, buzzes, and good intonation. Even a guitar tech should be able to spot a fatally twisted or bent neck. Also, make sure that it doesn't have any sticky tuners. That's usually caused by inaccurate drilling of the tuner holes, causing tuner post(s) to bind up in the hole. Happy hunting!

in the GC used section on line I found the following:

MANDOLIN
    USED KENTUCKY KM620 SOLID TOP MANDO

Details »
    Misc. Str. Inst.
    Guitar Center Central Dallas
    Dallas, Texas 75206
    214-692-9999
    View Store's Used Inventory
    Request More Info
    Buy Now
    Now Only
    $349.99
    Pastor Ed

"let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation" Psalm 95:1b

Quote Originally Posted by Little Ed View Post
    in the GC used section on line I found the following:

MANDOLIN
    USED KENTUCKY KM620 SOLID TOP MANDO

Details »
    Misc. Str. Inst.
    Guitar Center Central Dallas
    Dallas, Texas 75206
    214-692-9999
    View Store's Used Inventory
    Request More Info
    Buy Now
    Now Only
    $349.99
    You could jump on that one.Or you could ask if they have any used Rover RM-75'. Nice mandolins for the money from feedback on the cafe:http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8383
    Last edited by John Kinn; Nov-22-2010 at 3:03pm.

I looked on the used section of GC's website and found several mandolins that even shocked me, but none of them are close to where i am (north california). Does anyone know if they can ship used instruments? and if so, does their 30 day return policy still aply to the instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by superatomico View Post
    I looked on the used section of GC's website and found several mandolins that even shocked me, but none of them are close to where i am (north california). Does anyone know if they can ship used instruments? and if so, does their 30 day return policy still aply to the instrument?
    I unfortunately worked for GC. As far as getting it to you, they will normally ship any used gear from one store to the other. I can't recall if there is any charge to do so. If my memory serves me right. The return policy on used equipment is 15days. I could be wrong. It has been awhile since I quit that place. I would give them a call and ask them about it.

I'm definetly gonna have to check into that.