Thread: Polbain to Oranmore

Is that a Dobro on track 4 or are they using a slide on a zouk or mandola? It's ounds really cool!
    " Sing to the Lord, bless His name;
    Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.
    Declare His glory among the nations,
    His wonders among all peoples." (Psalm 96:2-3,NKJ)

The liner notes on my copy (a richt "bocht een" Kevin!)say "Alec - Norman's tenor guitar and Fender Champion slide guitar, Kevin - Roland Juno 106 keyboard" Kevin goes on to describe the slide guitar "A whacky 1950s Fender Hawaiian slide electric guitar covered in pearloid mother-of-toilet-seat"
    Bren

After I posted this I was reading the liner notes and "boing, did I feel like a bozo"

Yes, that's what it is. I put it through a Fender Blues Junior all valve combo, and selected a suitable sound from the rotary controls. I can't really play it, but love it's sound, and have used it in recordings by plucking its open strings to give a rich deep bassy sound and a twangy rich resonance. I've also got a Hofner solid body electric slide guitar, another 1950's yellow job, mother of toilet seat. They look great on the wall! I tried recording it on the new Occasionals cd "Reel of Four", but the band just fell about laughing at my melodic efforts and forbade me to put it on the cd!
    A bocht een! Better explain that to our American cousins, and me too while your at it!
    You still playing the Donmo, Bren?
    regards #Kevin

Old oil rig saying, when refurbishing a piece of equipment: "Mak' it jist like a bocht een boys!" (Make it like a bought one chaps!, i.e like new)
    In the case of a CD, a bocht een as opposed to a copied een. I have to confess to having uncharitable thoughts about Bob's copy thinking he had no liner notes.

Still clanging away on Donmo. Marshall tweaked it a bit so it sounds better & plays easier. Cheers Bren
    Bren

Ah that's it.
    I'm thinking of selling the Donmo resonator mandolin, great though it is, I'm not using it much. Any takers?
    Kevin

Kevin

Maybe, want to trade for a '98 Chevy 3/4 4WD pickup? #I'd talk to danb ( Dan Beimborn ). #He has posted a thread about resonator's. #What's the $?

Please excuse the ignorance of this question, but what is the difference with the Mac and the Mc preface in Scottish names? #( sorry , a little off topic)

when I got the CD I didnt really sitdown and read the liner notes, I just put it in and started listening. #After awhile I started to really hearing #all the little nuances of the tunes and was wondering where all the cool sounds were coming from.

I understand that one or the other indicates an illegitimacy somewhere in the ancestry. The man I knew who got worked up about it spelled his "Mac", so I suspect that "Mc" is the dodgy one. The fact that this means that Kevin is of unsullied lineage is, of course, purely coincidental.

Alastair (which you can spell any way you want - I've long since given up worrying about it )

As a rule, there aren't any significant difference in meaning between Mac and Mc. Basically, it what you get when you spell a Gaelic name in English . . . inconsistencies. Mac, Mc (as well as Map for some Welsh names) mean "Son/Son of" - Nic or Ni mean "Daughter of." O as in O'Brien, comes from Ua, which means "grandson." Although there is sometimes some individual histories or individual rationalisations behind why certain Gaelic names are spelled certain ways in English. Often there is no significance, but sometimes there is, but it has little to do with a difference in meaning.

I'd be wary of any theory attributing significance to spelling in an age when few people could read. Old Australian documents often have M' as in M'Kay, M'Donald, M'Dougall etc.
    Bren

Bob, the keys for the tunes are a bit compromised, as I sometimes play the tunes capoed up a fret or two. For example I like the sound of my bouzouki at the third fret capo, so the D string becomes F. Unfortunately, most of the material was learnt by ear, and I don't actually know of hand what keys things are in, but I'll see what I can work out. My advice is always to listen and learn by ear. Reading score is useful, and I can scrape at it, but I do learn mostly by ear. Sorry I can't be more helpful at this stage, but I'm delighted you like the cd, and are getting something from it. Most of the pipe tunes should be notated somewhere on the web, if you look hard enough.
    All the best, Kevin