Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Andy Statman Interview

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default The Andy Statman Interview

The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
    The Andy Statman Interview
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001275.shtml

The Mandolin Cafe's Forum members have the questions, and mandolin legend Andy Statman has the answers for another of our extended feature interviews.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: The Andy Statman Interview

Thank you Andy. Thank you Mandolin Cafe.

I've been hearing the name Andy Statman for awhile now, and this interview finally sparked me to go out and get some of his music. I just downloaded East Flatbush Blues and Flatbush Waltz off of itunes and Andy's Ramble is on its way!

Amazing talent and musicianship with Inspiration nothing short of transcendental. Thank you Andy for sharing a bit of your world with us. And as always Scott I tip my hat to the high standards you set for the Cafe and our little community.

Wonderful portrait of a wonderful musician! A reminder: Andy, Larry and Jim play most weeks in NYC at the Charles St Synagogue. The trio is really something, a true meeting of musical minds. To call them a rhythm section doesn't do those guys justice. Each shines while providing a 'foundation' that frees Andy to do his thing.

And thanks Andy, and producer, Ed Haber, for providing that swingin' cut from the upcoming "Old Brooklyn".
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Arkansas Traveller will never be the same after this..thanks again for another great interview!

great interview,thank's Andy,and thanks Scott..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Default A Bit More about Andy's Kimble

Here's a photo of the headstock of Andy's Kimble mandolin. You'll notice that it is also 'flawed', like the back, with needlessly beautiful irregularity! There's a 'flame' or 'puff of smoke' of lighter wood running up from the Gibson A-3 curlicue, through the maker's name. It's actually, pretty visible when seen head-on.

Here's what the luthier said about the striking one piece back: "I thought this back was very cool but didn't think it was suitable for a custom order because it was so strange—wasn't sure who would or wouldn't like it."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KimbleWtmk.JPG 
Views:	339 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	64988  
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

I was fortunate to begin taking lessons with Andy a year ago (before a health issue interceded on my side), and I wanted to thank the Cafe for the heads-up that he had been taking-on students in the first place, or it wouldn't have happened. Of course I'd like to thank Andy for the inspiration -- not just teaching me to play bluegrass, but the history, evolution and oral traditions. He even let me play the Kimble -- though I was really too scared to play much. Andy's the real deal, and a very thoughtful, generous and patient teacher. Of course the little things he was picking unconsciously way up the neck while he spoke are light years beyond what I'll ever have the dexterity to play, but I won't ever give up!

man that cut from the forthcoming album is awesome!!! Killer chops...and Andy's last solo is amazing.

Andy will be teaching at this year's Mandolin Symposium! How cool is that?!

In addition to coletrickle - his solos are hazy CRAZY. Berline's take off the top was awesome and inspired, groovy with a funk and then..... Andy resolves a trajectory to Mars or some distant galaxy before settling us back gently to earth without a bump, but a groove.

wow, what a ride.

Andy rules the world of jazz mandolin... As well as damn near every other genre. His crosspicking solo on Up in the Morning (on Andy's Ramble) is without equal... AMAZING!

This was a fantastic interview! Andy gave very detailed well thought out answers to our questions. Big Thanks to one of my Mando heros!

JR

Andy, thank you for such a wonderful interview and your willingness to share with us!!

Even though I am not a fan of jazz music, I am totally blown away by Andy. His right hand does things mine can only dream about. He pulls such feelings in his playing that only a few people could ever hope of achieving. I will be downloading his music to help inspire me to better things. Thanks for the interview

Blog Entries

Andy is a real mandolin inspiration to me. Thanks for participating in the interviews!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Andy will be teaching at this year's Mandolin Symposium! How cool is that?!
    He has been there twice before.......I took as many of his classes as I could.

Awesome interview with one of the most emotional/spiritual musicians of any discipline.

Blog Entries

Andy is like John Coltrane; you have to be willing to go with him wherever he goes but man is it worth it. Amazing ideas and execution. Andy's playing also reminds me of the Chick Corea Akoustik Band I saw in concert a long time ago where Chick said to the crowd, "You need your melody radars on tonight."
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

right you are John... good post. really dig the Picasso "Woman With a Mandolin". Just saw that at MOMA a few months ago... one of my faves... duh!

Amazing, creative musician and cool dude. I especially like his beanie. Reminds me of the one's from the 60's...he just needs a propeller on top! Thanks Andy and MC.
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Nov-24-2010 at 7:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hill View Post
    Amazing ideas and execution.
    Chorus after chorus of amazing ideas.......like a stream......music just flows out of him.
    It "is" like a spiritual experience ........as he taps into the source, somewhere between inspiration and intellect......and the ideas flow....... on either of his chosen instruments.
    Last edited by SternART; Nov-24-2010 at 7:45pm.

Huge fan of Andy. A wild man on the mandolin, who comes by it honestly. Steeped in every tradition, and a creator of his own.

I played Flatbush Waltz for my parents' 30th anniversary. They were in tears. Thanks for being an inspiration, Andy!

Jim Roberts: His "beanie" is called, in Hebrew, a kipah (kee-pa) or, in Yiddish, a yarmulke (yam-u-ka). It's a head-covering that more observant Jews wear to signify recognition of god "above" and as a kind of uniform.

Man of Wax: Thanks for the clarification...we see alot of hats worn for religious reasons here in Kansas, too. Lots of staunch Lutherans and observant Mennonites around. No "uniforms" though...a few robes here and there and an occasional toga on campus. I saw a few Shriner's with some crazy looking hats similar to Andy's (but a bit more pronounced on top) at a parade a few weeks ago that may signify some sort of religious recognition like you describe but what that recognition is is beyond me but perhaps it has something to do with a "being from above." Or, it may have something to do with the liquid they were consuming from their flasks!

Regardless of hat, beanie, yarmaduke, etc., styles, Andy certainly is gifted and we all benefit from the talent he shares with us.