Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restringing--Reducing the Risk of Imminent Explosions!

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Default Restringing--Reducing the Risk of Imminent Explosions!

I restrung my Gibson last night and went through my usual angst: when cranking up the E and A string I'm just sure the whole thing is going to explode with all that tension. I usually do it holding it at arm's length, head turned away, just sure a string is going to pop and take an eye out.

OK, I'm overreacting.

But are you better off bringing the tension up somewhat gradually? And should you worry about trying to equalize the tension over the length of the string--the string has to bind a little over the nut and over the bridge.

I usually change strings half at a time--E and A first, then D and G. That way the neck is always under some tension, and the bridge stays in the right place.

Am I being overly risk averse, or appropriately cautious, or do I just need to make sure and take my medicine every day so I won't worry about stuff like this...
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Default Re: Restringing--Reducing the Risk of Imminent Explosions!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vinyard View Post
    I restrung my Gibson last night and went through my usual angst: when cranking up the E and A string I'm just sure the whole thing is going to explode with all that tension. I usually do it holding it at arm's length, head turned away, just sure a string is going to pop and take an eye out.

OK, I'm overreacting.

But are you better off bringing the tension up somewhat gradually? And should you worry about trying to equalize the tension over the length of the string--the string has to bind a little over the nut and over the bridge.

I usually change strings half at a time--E and A first, then D and G. That way the neck is always under some tension, and the bridge stays in the right place.

Am I being overly risk averse, or appropriately cautious, or do I just need to make sure and take my medicine every day so I won't worry about stuff like this...
    Keep taking the medicine and it'll be fine

If you change strings often enough (for example by working on instruments) you get used to cranking them up and down without batting an eyelid... the only time you have to watch is if there's something about the instrument that causes the strings to bind in the nut or bridge... then they will break. More likely on cheaper instruments, and/or those those that haven't ever seen a luthier (including when they were made!).

If anything, the slower you tune them up, the more tension you get - in you not the strings!

If you are concerned about the strings binding and breaking, tune them up to say two semi-tones flat pretty quickly, then slow down. You can also grab the string between thumb and forefinger and "wiggle" it side to side - quite firmly - that'll shake any slack or binding out of the string - helps also once they're all up to pitch to stretch them out, and stops them going flat all the time for the first few days.

But basically, if they're going to break they'll break, and the slower you tune them the worse it is for you.

HTH, John.

I like to change strings one at a time, on any instrument including mandolin.

Blog Entries

I change my strings one at a time, or I should say, replacing the strings one at a time, never taking more than one string's worth of the tension off the neck. I comfort myself during the endless cranking up to pitch that the mandolin already had a lot of stress on it, and this one string is only an incremental stress and should be fine.

My mandolins never have all the strings taken off, in fact never more than one string off. And we are talking about many many years.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I bring 'em right up to pitch with a standard-issue pegwinder and a clip-on tuner on the headstock. Not like as-fast-as-I-can, mind you, I don't want to bang up the headstock with the winder. I've never had a brand-new one break and create a sharp projectile. However, I had an old, pre-kinked one do it once on a guitar, and it shot the string all the way THROUGH the flesh of my finger, it skewered me. You definitely want to be cautious about a string, new or old, that has a kink in it for any reason.

Blog Entries

I, too, re-string one string at a time. Also, I find tuning the new string in the course to the remaining old string in the course so useful that I can't imagine why I'd re-string any other way.
    Finally, if you're looking to maximize your 'string change anxiety' just install some reverse geared tuning machines onto your mandolin ...I hate those things
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

By the way, Phil, the D and G strings have just as much tension as the E and A. Actually greater, if you use J74s.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

I do one pair of strings at a time. I also lube the bridge and nut slots every change. Used to use powdered graphite, but now I use "Big Bends Nut Sauce" because my daughter snickers at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    . . . because my daughter snickers at it.
    That's my reason for much of what I do!

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Big Bender's Nut Sauce. That'd be a fun thing to blurt out in a sentence at a Bluegrass Gospel jam
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

I once told people that I wanted to be a comedian but everyone laughed at me....

Your mandolin will not implode, explode, or roll over and just die . Whatever way you string it will work. I change a LOT of strings on just about every kind of instrument. I usually do an E string and then a G string to put pressure across the bridge to hold it in place as I finish the job. You will not hurt the neck no matter what way or oder you string. The instrument is designed to sustain that amount of tension.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

If I'm going to go to all the trouble of changing strings I take them all off and clean the instrument with them off. After a while it gets to be second nature to put back together.

90% of the string changes i do involve having all off the strings off at once, either because it's a new instrument or I've refretted or performed a set-up. If all of the strings are coming off, be sure to use some low-tack tape (like the 3M blue painters tape) to mark the position of the bridge BEFORE the strings come off. Makes setting the intonation much easier. When I take them all off, I restring just like Joe said.

Lynn

If you say so Lynn, whole set changed from now on for me. With an E and G on first. Will only have to use the tape on my Weber, since the Godin's bridge doesn't move.

I think you may have misunderstood.... I'm not advocating changing them all at once, unless there is a reason to (cleaning, set-up, repair, etc.) My point was that it's not going to damage your instrument. If I'm just changing strings, I'll usually take half off at a time. That gives you an opportunity to clean half the fingerboard and peghead. Keeps the bridge in place too. Re-string that side and then do the other four.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn, I think we just let the general public know that you don't have to go overboard, even when an expert says you can. By changing one string at a time, I can bring the new string up to pitch faster by plucking the old and new together. Then with the first new string up to pitch it helps with the next one, plucking the two until the second string matches.Then it doesn't take too long with the tuner to get them all up to pitch after all the strings have been replaced and finished stretching. I just need to learn how to get a good looking wrap on the tuners. Consistency is a real problem at this time for me.

New strings rarely if ever break in my experience. I do try to wear safety googles when stringing and setting up a new instrument, especially when my head is in close proximity. I do know of one case where a bloke severely damaged an eye when a string broke while tuning a guitar.
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

I usually do the same as Lynn D. & remove the E & A strings first,then the D & G strings,just to keep the bridge in place & i mark the bridge position at each end on 2 small pieces of low-tack masking tape stuck to the top as well - things can & do slip.
    I have to admit that like the OP,tuning up those "E" strings is nerve wracking,but after a lie down in a cool,dark room & having a couple of tranqs.,i'm usually ok. I've only broken one & that was due to it having kinked & me not noticing,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Young Phil, if your nut is not pinging and complaining, and you are using a tuner so that you don't go OVER the notes you are supposed to be tuning up to, it should be just fine. Once you have done it 50 times on your own axe, you won't notice anymore. Out of hundreds of sets, on a dozen mandos, over 30 years, I can't remember a single new mando string breaking...

Interesting timing on this thread. I just broke 2 E strings at the tuner while changing my strings tonight. For the life of me I can't figure out what is happening, so now I am sitting here going through all of the "breaking E strings" archive threads.

Tal
    Tal Hardman

Krishot A5 #341

Lynn and I are on the same page. Most of the time we are restringing after a refret, restoration, or set up and have all the strings off. If I am just changing strings to change them and nothing else more dramatic, I take off one side, do those four and then the other side. I often use a power winder but I've done so many that I don't worry about getting them too tight or breaking strings. It does not happen often. I have never had an instrument damaged in the process. I do NOT recommend power winders for DIY projects. You could easily go too far and ruin a string. We do so many that we are used to them and have been using them for many years. The hand held winders (like Lynn makes) work very well and will make your job much easier.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

You want real fun?

Change strings on an autoharp...

I'm with Joe on the power winder thing. I use 'em all the time. I don't go high speed, but the thing is faster than a hand crank.

I'd love to have a buck right now for every set of strings I've changed over 45 years! Make that two bucks for every Rickenbacker 12 string...

EEEkkkkk... someone mentioned the unmentionable... restringing an autoharp! Yes, I've done too many of those as well. The bad thing is it would be nearly as cheap to get another one as to restring one. The most dreaded job in the shop......even worse than a Rick 12 string.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vinyard View Post
    Welcome to the establishment. Nurse Ratched will be with you in a moment...

Meanwhile, here is some food for your dreams.
    And if you think restringing is the only dangerous time, watch this and reconsider.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world