Thread: Luthier's Workbench--Software

Question Luthier's Workbench--Software

Hey Folks,
    I'm just wondering if any of you have used this software? I also wanted to give it a bump on this forum since it seems like it's a great program for our biz, and I'd like to encourage the developer to kick his Mac version into gear. NFI obviously.
    Luthier's Workbench
    I'm considering running windows as a VM on my mac just to be able to run this (and some acoustics software too), but just wanted to toss it out there and see what you guys think, especially if you've been using it.
    cheers,
    Joe
    Joseph Campanella Cleary
    Campanella Stringed Instruments

Default Re: Luthier's Workbench--Software

hm... that looks pretty useful.

I'm also interested to know if any of you use this? If not, is there a different system that you use for tracking info and business?
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Pete Brown

Default Re: Luthier's Workbench--Software

As the developer of Luthier's Workbench I'm unable to give it a direct plug on the various forums, but since the issue of a Mac version has been raised, I hope the forum moderators will forgive me as I provide this update.

As I'm a professional Windows software developer and an overwhelmingly large majority of people use the Windows operating system, the existing version was developed as a "Windows-only" product. My response to the initial enquiries from Mac users when asked about a dedicated Mac version was to suggest that they investigate the various products which allow Windows software to be used on a Mac. Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion spring to mind.

I've now bowed to pressure from Joe and others and have begun redevelopment of Luthier's Workbench as a cross-platform product. What this means is that it will run on any operating system, including all flavors of Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. It's not a trivial task and I'm unable to give an estimated completion date. A short-term full-time contract job might be paying the bills at present, but it's certainly frustrating my efforts to make headway on the conversion; at my age, there's a limit to how many late nights I can tolerate. Please bear with me!

I'm certainly looking forward to completing the conversion. Not only will it keep the Mac fans of the world happy, but it means I'll finally be able to get back into the workshop and spend more time on my own instruments!

As always, I'm happy to receive comments, suggestions and feature requests and I ask that you post them on my forum. I'll also post progress reports there from time to time.
    Last edited by Pete Brown; Nov-19-2010 at 10:15pm.
    Cheers
    Pete