Thread: 10 Questions For Don Julin

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default 10 Questions For Don Julin

The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
    10 Questions For Don Julin
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001282.shtml

We catch up with Traverse City, Michigan based Don Julin, one of the busiest working mandolinists in the country. You may be hearing his music on TV and Film.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewsFetcher For This Useful Post:

Default Missed connecting with Don Julin at the Symposium

One of the things about the Mandolin Symposium I have liked is meeting and interacting with various mandolin players. However, I guess I wasn't in the workshops that Don was in, the summer he attended the Symposium, and I didn't learn until later that he was there. Actually...I learned that when he showed up on the stage Saturday night to play with David and Mike! My loss. I have enjoyed his mandolin cds over the years--they always have an interesting take on songs.
    Nick Royal
    Santa Cruz, CA

Default Re: 10 Questions For Don Julin

What an interesting read! It's nice to see Don Julin getting a much deserved interview. I was smitten with the mandolin bug after hearing Don live with Neptune Quartet. As a student of Don and member of his 88 Strings plucked string orchestra, I feel richly blessed to have such a great resource in a small town setting. Check out his discography, which features Don's mellifluous style in a rich variety of musical styles. I highly recommend him as an instructor if you are considering lessons via Skype (NFI).
    Last edited by Steve-o; Nov-08-2010 at 9:05am.

5. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

Hi Nick and Steve, and thanks for the kind words. I hope to make it back out to Santa Cruz for another Symposium someday. (maybe even in an official capacity)And Steve, I will see you Tuesday night for 88 Strings rehearsal.

Hi Don:

I met you at the 09 Symposium and really enjoyed hearing Mr. Natural. Saw you after midnight jaming under a street light between the dorms. Lots of fun.

Congratulations on the article.
    R A Baeyen

I really enjoy these Q & A's. Thank you Don and thank you Ted.

Blog Entries

Anniversary of this early interview we did with Don before there was a Mandolin for Dummies, before there was a Mandolins Heal The World.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Words of wisdom from Don Julin:

"1. Music theory. I know this topic brings out the blank stare with many of my students, but let's face it, there is a method to the madness. A good understanding of basic concepts like keys, chords, time signatures, and common chord progressions can go a long way.

2. Fundamentals of playing mandolin. I am strong believer in good left and right-hand technique. Just something simple like holding the pick a certain way can dramatically improve your tone. Understanding pick direction and proper left-hand fingering should not be underestimated."

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this interview with the author of one of the most popular mandolin books ever published!

Blog Entries

Noting today's anniversary of this interview published 10 years ago today!