Thread: Buying a new Mando

Default Buying a new Mando

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new mando, and I thought I would seek the advice of the wise cafe members. I have played guitar since I was 12 (I am 22 now), learning a variety of styles along the way. For now, I am most interested in Classical and Jazz. I would like to get a Mandolin that suits these tastes too. I want to join my local mandolin ensemble. I had a cheap laminate mandolin a few years ago, but I really owe it to myself to get a nicer mandolin. Since I have been playing guitar for a while, and wishing I had a nicer mandolin ever since the first one I had, I am looking to spend somewhere between $600 and $1000. After looking at a few other threads on the cafe, it seems like buying used would be a great idea.

After doing some research, it seems that an oval hole might give me a tone better suited to what I am looking for. I love the looks of the F-style so I have mostly been looking at those. There is an Eastman 814 I have been looking at that really seems to be calling my name. Do you guys think that would be a good instrument for what I want to play?

Thanks for any and all info.

Juney

Default Re: Buying a new Mando

Quote Originally Posted by Juney View Post
    Do you guys think that would be a good instrument for what I want to play?
    Yes. Not the only good one, but a good one.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

All I can say is to second Allen's thought. I have an Eastman, among others, and really do like it as a great quality-to-dollar instrument. You can go crazy trying to locate and try everything, so don't think it's all brain surgery. Try to find a place near you to try it, and let 'er rip. There may be some used Webers that are also in that price range, and they can be very nice as well, but they may be hard to locate.

I prefer an f-hole mandolin for jazz, an oval hole for classical. You'll have to decide which one of those you want first that will cover both styles for you. I know you've read it a 1000 X but A-styles are much better in that price range. I'd move up later, if you want to an F-style in the $2,000 + range. I've never played an F-style, scroll mandolin that sounded good in that price range ($1000 and under)...they all sounded thin to my ears with very little depth of tone. That is just my experience, someone else might have been luckier and found a nice F-style for that kind of money.

If you can find one, the Arches flat-tops (the tops are actually slightly bent, I think) sound quite nice, are light in weight ,and have GREAT playability. Much better in all respects than the imports I have played. I own an Arches FT-F and it is a very nice instrument. The oval hole version is wonderful, also.

Yeah, I know the A's tend to be better in that price range, but I am looking at a couple of used F's that go for around 2 grand new. We shall see though.... I need to try a few out and let my ears and fingers be the judge...

Blog Entries

Hi Juney:
    Welcome to the Cafe!
    IMO, in your price range, it will be hard for you to find a better mandolin than this one.
    I have no financial interest here, but I am a fan of Howard 'Sonny' Morris' mandolins. You can see photos of two of his mandolins by clicking on the links in my signature.
    Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters