Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

ugh, I want that Octave bad! Financially not a good time for me....maybe tax return time??
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
    Went to IBMA and checked out the Northfield mandos at the Elderly booth........I was very impressed!!! Anyone that has gotten one, please post some pictures and your opinion on these.
    Hi. I'm in Uk and over the last 45 years have owned and played hundreds of mandolins including many high end ones.

18 months ago I bought a 2106 Northfield Big Mon F5 (Used from Tamco in K) and I'd strongly recommend you try a BigMon.

I can't fault mine in any way at all. Maybe the small pearl dots are not my favourite. I like bigger ones but that aside, it is just a tremendous mandolin for all types of music and I honesty can't think of anything better.

It has tone to die for (I use covered 15 guage 2nd strings for extra tone). Don't know how to upload photos which are not on my profile. Email me if you wish with your email and I'll share the photos I have.

3. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Jimmy, i couldn't agree more. I don't currently own a Northfield but boy they make fine mandolins. The last thing I need is another mandolin. And, I am still coveting the Big Mon that came to the classifies yesterday or the day prior. I believe it was $3K or so, Amazing value.

5. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Not really i the market for such a thing but that Northfield flattop is very appealing in its simplicity. Elderly has one for sale. Has anyone played one of those?

Here is Northfield's page on the Calhoun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NF_Beginner-1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	171385
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"Has anyone played one of those?"

Hi Jim - here's a short sample of Emory playing one a couple weeks ago when he visited our shop. Emory sure can take a simple tune to the next level!

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

New member of the Northfield F5S tribe here. I burned through a Loar and 2 Eastman's in a 6 week period and finally just told my thrifty self "self, you cheap bugger, just pull the trigger on the Northfield" so I did, and now I own a family heirloom (guess I'll have to teach one of my minions to play). Just as my Martin guitar cured (postponed?) GAS the Northfield has cured MAS (I mean not counting a Mandola, Octave Mando, Banjo Mando and possibly a Big Mon, oh and I hear Collings are nice).

The universe had sent some positive buying signs/signals tying Northfield to Samarai Skates and Vision Street Wear - but only a few would understand. I just love the vibe and culture of the company. In a day and age when most business are putting out mediocre products, food and service, it's so refreshing to see a team so stoked and passionate about what they do and make.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said already about how absolutely wonderful it looks, plays and sounds. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy and inspires me to play better. If you are considering spending $800-$1500 on a mando, just beg, borrow or steal (credit cards work nicely) and upgrade to the Northfield, it will save you a few hundred in shipping fees and negative equity on the Eastmans and Kentucky's you'll end up selling to end up here eventually anyway. Oh and while you are at it, spend the money on the Blue Chip pick. I upgraded to the Blue Chip at the same time I got the Northfield, so maybe the magic is in the plastic and not the wood? I doubt it.... (insert G run here)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Todd For This Useful Post:

You are too funny. Be grateful for what you have.

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Be grateful for what you have, and be grateful for what you are going to have....
    John A. Karsemeyer

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAK For This Useful Post:

I pulled the trigger on a new Calhoun from Elderly last weekend. According to FedEx, it will be here Friday. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Northfield F5S sell at Gryphon in about a week it seems. The ovals go fast too. Last week they had none at all. People seem reluctant to spend thousands more for an MF when it is a subjective more than a qualitative choice. I would still council buying a Collings if that is the tone and feel that works for you. Hopefully you will be holding it for hours each day.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Love my F5S like my children...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Did Northfield finally solve their finish problem ?

What was the 'finish problem?'
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    What was the 'finish problem?'
    I was wondering that too. I've read a ton of Northfield threads here (leading to my acquisition of a Model M), and I don't recall ever hearing about any finish issues. I can say that the varnish burst on mine looks and feels great.

Name:	Model M_overhead.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	182695

I had an F5s and an F2s. Nice mandolins. I still have the flat top octave, but the mandolins are gone.........victims of Ellis infatuation. LOL.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

22. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
    I was wondering that too. I've read a ton of Northfield threads here (leading to my acquisition of a Model M), and I don't recall ever hearing about any finish issues. I can say that the varnish burst on mine looks and feels great.

Quite a few years ago there were major problems with the finish clouding up ! A NUMBER OF OWNERS SENT THEIR MANDOLINS BACK including mine ! Northfield took care of the problem but the cloudy problem reappeared all over the back so I finally gave up sending it back ! I liked the tone of my Northfield but I'm overly picky about looks also ! Evidently the finish problem was solved ! For the money a very good mandolin but I have graduated to Ellis and Girouard mandolins ! In a class all of their own ! Fantastic !

Everyone has their priorities, and a $10,000+ mandolin is not one of mine. But the $3000 I ponied up for a Northfield F5S a couple of months ago, I have not regretted one minute. Outstanding build quality and a wonderful balanced sound. To me it sounds great playing jazz, Irish, and bluegrass. I'm not a great player, but this instrument makes me sound better, and it is always hard to put it down. Only when my finger tips are too sore to play any longer do I put it down.
    '24 Gibson F-5g, NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O, Northfield F5S, Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave, Home built F5 (1995)

25. The following members say thank you to Chris Calley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Calley View Post
    Everyone has their priorities, and a $10,000+ mandolin is not one of mine. But the $3000 I ponied up for a Northfield F5S a couple of months ago, I have not regretted one minute. Outstanding build quality and a wonderful balanced sound. To me it sounds great playing jazz, Irish, and bluegrass. I'm not a great player, but this instrument makes me sound better, and it is always hard to put it down. Only when my finger tips are too sore to play any longer do I put it down.
    You scored there, by the sound of it. Well done, you.

27. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post

How do you like that? The Model M is very interesting.

<This seems to be a recurring theme with you that has now reached an inappropriate level and violates Forum posting guidelines. This will not be tolerated further.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-13-2020 at 8:15am.

If you visit https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Northfield there's many Northfield's listed with accompanying pictures.

Congrats Johnny, I’ve had my Northfield F5M - master model - for going on 5 years now with no problems whatsoever. It looks and sounds great, everyone that sees, hears, plays it says so as well. Enjoy the Calhoun.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

32. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

The fact is that even if you have a a budget up to six or seven thousand dollars, you should seek out and play an F5S or a Big Mon or an Artist. Part of getting the right mandolin for you. But if you have $3k in your wallet and no more, hard to beat an F5S.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

34. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    How do you like that? The Model M is very interesting.
    I love it. Sounds great, feels great, and is super fun to play. The varnish finish and Nugget tailpiece are two appointments that I especially like. I went through a guitar upgrade process over a number of years, culminating in a Martin 00-18 several years ago that cured my desire to upgrade further. I feel like the Model M occupies the same niche for me.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AgentKooper For This Useful Post:

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

I had a chance to pop into TAMCO in the UK at the weekend and played a couple of Northfields for the first time. I tried a Big Mon, an S Series and a GBOM. They were incredible. For context, I also played an Ellis, an Old Wave, a Phoenix and a couple of Webers. I'd buy any of the Northfields over any of them. Just a joy to play and so responsive.

Question for anyone who's had a chance to play other models - how does the Model M (a style) compare? Is it similar to the S Series just with an a style body or are they totally different beasts? I love an A!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Hutchinson For This Useful Post: