Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252647 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    We all know that materials do increase in price,but i haven't noticed a price hike of any significance (or any at all) in other makes of Mandolin that use similar materials.
    I think our real problem with the price increase is that the Northfield mandolins are very good, & the original prices were low enough to draw people in - then the price hike. I feel that the rise in price has far more to do with the great popularity of the Northfields than material costs. If they'd priced them at the current price point originally,we wouldn't be so disappointed - & they'd still be good instruments for that price,
    Ivan
    Finally-------we agree on something Ivan!

We all know that materials do increase in price,but i haven't noticed a price hike of any significance (or any at all) in other makes of Mandolin that use similar materials.
    Ivan
    There is a well known builder who's price was around $11,000 that went to $17,000 with in the last year.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Quote Originally Posted by G. Fisher View Post
    There is a well known builder who's price was around $11,000 that went to $17,000 with in the last year.
    Builder ??

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Builder ??
    Bob Altman.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biorkman View Post
    Bob Altman.
    Supply and demand!

Exactly. It's the builder's right to change prices as they see fit. Don't understand all the whining and charges of poor ethics.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Exactly. It's the builder's right to change prices as they see fit. Don't understand all the whining and charges of poor ethics.
    DITTO! A builder can charge whatever he/she wants and if a quality instrument isn't built customers won't buy! If it is quality there will be customers ! If the price is too high customers can always look elsewhere!

The most expensive, luthier-made mandolin is still WAY less costly than a top-tier modern violin. Now I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling it takes a bunch more materials and time to make a pro quality F5. Is that an accurate statement? Frankly I have no idea... just "speculatin' about a hypothesis". *

* O'Doole in Miller's Crossing
    Last edited by Glassweb; Oct-01-2011 at 11:07am.

Agreed, some folks have too much time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Agreed, some folks have too much time on their hands.
    Yep, I've got the time and I spend it practicing my Old Wave which is a bargain mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    The most expensive, luthier-made mandolin is still WAY less costly than a top-tier modern violin. Now I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling it takes a bunch more materials and time to make a pro quality F5. Is that an accurate statement? Frankly I have no idea... just "speculatin' about a hypothesis". *

* Sargeant O'Doule in Miller's Crossing
    I've been told that It is well known in those circles that some builders buy mass produced violins and take them apart and re-voice them. Then they are sold at a substantial price.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31

Quote Originally Posted by G. Fisher View Post
    I've been told that It is well known in those circles that some builders buy mass produced violins and take them apart and re-voice them. Then they are sold at a substantial price.
    I doubt if the top luthiers do this!

Yep, I've got the time and I spend it practicing my Old Wave which is a bargain mandolin!
    Old Waves have always interested me, what model do you have?

I doubt if the top luthiers do this!
    What I was told is the extent of what I know about violin builders.

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31

People pay for tone, volume and playability......if it's got these three things over other makers.....I doubt folks will care whether it's made of partical board....or 1000 year old maple that's been hand selected and varnished......although reading these boards....I'm convinced that someone will not buy the best sounding mandolin out there....just because it's not made out of the right wood.....or not varnished.....
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Old Waves have always interested me, what model do you have?
    Oval A and everything about it is top notch and a very reasonable price ( $2600)

Majkor bnajo...I agree with you, a lot of people are more concerned with who the maker is of a mandolin rather than what it sounds like...A lot of people think that because a mando is made by a popular builder that it is always going to be a great buy....I always try ot buy American made products but about a year ago I bought a Kentucky KM-900 because I had heard so much good things about them and I wanted an A model, I will say that it sounds as good as anything I have played in the past 15 years...It is not the holy grail of mandolins and has a few cosmetic things that aren`t what I like, like small frets and a narrow neck but sound wise it is a killer and I love it and play it as often as any of the other mandolins that I have, at some shows I take as many as three mandolins with me and play a different one on each set and tape most of the shows and listen to see how much difference there is in sound and that makes an interesting trial run for all mandolins....

As mentioned on here even Loars all have different sounds, all are good but different so one cannot rely on a original Loar to use as a comparison when trying to decide what he wants in a mandolin, I would say the same goes for all brands, some sound different than others and it is all subjective and some people like different sounds for the type of music they play, that is why I never try and comvince anyone of what mandolin they should buy, try as many as you can and one will speak to you, maybe more than one then the fun begins, trying to decide on which one you will end up with....

Supply and demand!
    Harry West has a new one for around 9000

I spent some time at the Altman booth. The 17k Altman is his Loar copy, like the one he made for Mike Marshall. I don't know the production differences. If one of you more knowledgeable than I am could expand, that would be helpful. This was not just a price increase, that much I am pretty sure.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I doubt very much that Bob Altman uses the same materials that Northfield use & i'm NOT implying that Northfield use 'inferior' materials,simply that they come from a far less expensive source. The instruments that i was refering to where the Eastman's / 'The Loars' / Kentucky's etc. - instruments that are made in the 'Pac.rim' countries or China. None of those instruments has gone up in any significant way - at least, looking at the current UK pricing they haven't.
    Yankees1 - I'm sure we'd agree on many more things than Mandolin prices & the reasons thereof ,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I doubt very much that Bob Altman uses the same materials that Northfield use & i'm NOT implying that Northfield use 'inferior' materials,simply that they come from a far less expensive source. The instruments that i was refering to where the Eastman's / 'The Loars' / Kentucky's etc. - instruments that are made in the 'Pac.rim' countries or China. None of those instruments has gone up in any significant way - at least, looking at the current UK pricing they haven't.
    Yankees1 - I'm sure we'd agree on many more things than Mandolin prices & the reasons thereof ,
    Ivan
    There you go Ivan, we just agreed again!!

Blog Entries

I could spend as much as a vintage Loar trying to learn on my own, buy the tools and equipment, by lots of wood to screw up, and eventually, if I am very lucky, produce a mediocre mandolin at best.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Any update on the next Northfield deliveries to Elderly?

I know mines due in late Jan or early Feb. and it was ordered on 8/12

I stopped by the Elderly booth at IBMA with my Northfield. I played it along with the three other F models they had on display. I was really surprised how similar they all sounded. You could definitely tell they were siblings. All were great sounding mandos.