Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

that's a real nice looking NF Chootum!

My F5S is my all time favorite mandolin. I think you will love yours. From the first touch, they feel like your favorite old pair of jeans.
    Took delivery of mine from TejonStreetMusic as well, those folks are excellent to deal with.

I don't think I posted a picture of mine in this thread.............................so

Nice looking F5S darylcrisp. I bet that one sounds great by looking at it.

I got mine a couple of days ago. It had me worried at first because the tone was really quiet. Like muted quiet. But in a couple of days it's doubled or tripled its volume. I have never seen such change in an instrument. I have seen tone changes in new instruments, but volume? Maybe its because it made a trip from 50% humidity Colorado to 85-90% humidity and 95F South Florida. But it's a great mandolin and I can hear it get better every day. Very deep, round, dark and rich tone. Playability is identical to my Collings. Very very happy. Details are not impecable at the production level. But hey, it's a cheap mando that sounds and plays like a mando double the price.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Nice looking F5S darylcrisp. I bet that one sounds great by looking at it.
    i've been blessed to have some wonderful mandolins in my hands from the getgo of this journey with these little friends. i will have to say my Northfield just makes me real happy every time i pick it up. you instantly get lost with regards to anything else and it yearns to play music.

Sean at Tejon ordered this one with the 1 3/16" nut width and a one piece back. its just a swell mandolin.

d

Quote Originally Posted by Chootum View Post
    I got mine a couple of days ago. It had me worried at first because the tone was really quiet. Like muted quiet. But in a couple of days it's doubled or tripled its volume. I have never seen such change in an instrument. I have seen tone changes in new instruments, but volume? Maybe its because it made a trip from 50% humidity Colorado to 85-90% humidity and 95F South Florida. But it's a great mandolin and I can hear it get better every day. Very deep, round, dark and rich tone. Playability is identical to my Collings. Very very happy. Details are not impecable at the production level. But hey, it's a cheap mando that sounds and plays like a mando double the price.
    that sounds like a humidity issue to me as well. glad to hear things are changing up for you, i'd say as it gets more dry it will impress you quite well.

keep us posted
    d

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the phone calls, emails and Facebook messages. Detailed information about our new Artist Series mandolins has been added to our website. There are two variations for this model, and we would like to invite you to take a moment and check out the differences. Our options, specifications, and pricing, along with the videos you first saw regarding this line of mandolins are available on the page. We’ve also put together a list of of terms we've used with Mike Marshall over the past year to describe tonal differences between these mandolins. A tone vocabulary of sorts.

This has been an incredible project - and we're nowhere near the finish line. Just getting started. We'd love to hear from you and talk about everything that is going on here at Northfield. Oh, and if you're headed to the IBMA please stop by our booth. We'll have some of these new mandolins on hand and ready for action.

All the best,
    Adrian

Blog Entries

Taking a look at the Northfield site I no longer see any 'Master Models' listed? Just Artist Series, M Series and S series....

Has the 'Master Model' range been replaced by the 'Artist' series?
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Got to play three Northfields at a bluegrass festival here in the UK this Septemeber. Two Fs, one was a blonde, and an A model (don't know more details than that) With all the discussion on the Cafe about them recently they were the ones I headed straight to (though I later played a Collins and others) My immediate reaction was how beautiful they are. Absolutely stunning instruments with a quality in their appearane that is very evident.
    But most importantly they played and sounded better than any mandolin I had previously experienced and it was an absolute joy handling and pickin' them. One of them had slight buzzing and needed a set up, but the other two just sang. If I were a richer man I'd have been srtruggling to decide which one to buy but sadly they are beyond my means just now.
    Other instruments I played were certainly good, but the Northfields left the best impression on me. I got a friend to play one too so that i could hear it from the front and wow!

In a roundabout way I have ended up with a Northfield model M courtesy direct from the shop in Marshall Michigan. Having gone through a few instruments of late which a few cafe members can relate to, I would have to say the Northfield model M is one of the best mandolins I have laid my hands on. I can't vouch for the F models but I do know the arching, thicknessing of the top, and the recurve is the same as an in the new Artist series. It has a wonderful airy woody tone, the trebles really stand out with clear bell-like tones. Northfield mandolins is onto something - they have put a lot of thought into their new series of mandolins and I for one are very proud to have one of their mandolins.

In my avatar the Northfield is on the right, with a Collings MT mandola in the middle, and a Collings MT2-O on the left. All great mandolin family instruments!
    Nic Gellie

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adrian - your mandolins are beautiful! Your mobile website... not so much. Screenshot from Samsung S4 Dolphin browser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-19-06-52-45.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	138567

Hi. alimeriastrings: master models will be available in "Big Mon" size and Standard A size. We're changing some things on the page now and it'll be back up next week. aka frosty: we'll look into this. Browsers and mobile sites etc are not my speciality but we'll get some help and straighten it out. Thanks for the constructive tip.

Hi everyone,
    We're taking off for IBMA tomorrow and just wanted to share what we are bringing this year. If you are heading to Raleigh yourself, please stop by our booth and try a few of these instruments:

4 of the just released Artist Series F5 style mandolins
    1 (gently used) Master Model "Big Mon" F5 style from 2011
    2 Master model "Big Mon" F5 Style
    2 Octave mandolins
    1 used S Series F5 style
    2 S Series F5 style
    1 Model M A style

Hope to see you there!

Name:	IBMA 2015.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	139004

Northfield Octaves? Now I really wish I could be at IBMA. All you lucky attendees - please report back!

I've played a Northfield F model and it's a nice ax. In a different class vs Eastmans IMO and well it should be for the higher price. In the 2-3K price range I still think the best bargain is in Collings MT or Pava but that's just my opinion....any of them are fine instruments!
    =======
    Ellis F5 #81 (2006)
    Collings MT
    Eastman MD904

The Northfield Model M is a match for a Pava or a MT. I have played or owned them all. I have just noticed model M Northfield nicely opening up in the last week. Great comments from friends about it.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    The Northfield Model M is a match for a Pava or a MT. I have played or owned them all. I have just noticed model M Northfield nicely opening up in the last week. Great comments from friends about it.
    Good point Nic, I've only ever played the one Northfield but own an MT and played a bunch of Collings. Of course the Northfields that Adam Steffey plays on Youtube clips sound amazing but that's Adam Steffey!

Cheers
    =======
    Ellis F5 #81 (2006)
    Collings MT
    Eastman MD904

17. The following members say thank you to Brad Sicotte for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Northfield Octaves? Now I really wish I could be at IBMA. All you lucky attendees - please report back!
    Ditto. I'd love to hear more about the GBOMs.

I bought an F5-S from a guitar player that thought they wanted to be a mandolin player
    Came in a TKL mandolin case. Is that the standard case these come with? I ask because it doesn't seem to fit very well and rattles around a good bit inside the case. What case are people using instead? Bobelock perhaps?

P.S. very very pleased with the mandolin itself. A huge upgrade from my first mandolin (a tacoma M2). I played a number of Northfields in a local shop and was impressed with the consistency across the 3 different ones I played. I couldn't pick out a "better" one of the bunch because they were all great. I was ready to buy right there in the store but happened across someone with a brand new one they were trying to unload for a hefty discount.

All the Northfields I've seen have come in their own 'Norhfield' case...black faux leather, rectangular case with green interior. Two latches on the outside and two storage compartments. There is an attached velcro neck-strap inside to securely hold the mandolin in place. (mine fits very nicely.)

These cases are just so-so when it comes to protection and overall quality in my opinion. While it isn't a bad looking case, it's certainly not of the same caliber as the Northfield mandolin.

That's what I thought from the pictures I've seen online but maybe that is just the Master model/Big Mon' and the F5-S comes with the other case type that I have. I certainly don't mind the fact that they focus on quality instruments rather than cases. I can easily pick one up that suites my needs. I think I have an old gunny sack in the barn until i find a better option.

not crazy about the mandolin cases. the interiors are not padded.

Are the artist models being made in the US?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The Northfield web site now lists the Deluxe "Airloom" fiberglass case as a custom feature with the Big Mon. There is no picture or information about price. I assume that these are new and more info will be posted soon. Anyone know more?

Blog Entries

The supplied cases (even with the Master Models) were/are rather disappointing, in my opinion. For a $4.5K+ mandolin, you'd hope for better. They are very flimsy and the handle in particular is not designed to inspire confidence. They are a 'kind of' cheap copy of the Loar case, but are not even up to the standards of say, the Guardian version (and that leaves some things to be desired, in itself). Superb mandolin, but a very poor case. This is what came with mine:

Name:	Northfield_incase1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	139134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield_case.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	139135

Maybe they figured most folks change to a better case, anyway... but even so, the regular TKL oblong and shaped are far stronger and just generally better quality. I am sure a better quality case option will prove popular, provided the price is right.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    The Northfield web site now lists the Deluxe "Airloom" fiberglass case as a custom feature with the Big Mon. There is no picture or information about price. I assume that these are new and more info will be posted soon. Anyone know more?
    Looks like they are listed as an upgrade for $250 on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by kgrest View Post
    Looks like they are listed as an upgrade for $250 on the website.
    Let's hope that two-fitty gets you something a little more plush than the putt-putt golf astro-turf lining.

27. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post: