Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678930 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Just a note to all of you Northfield fans out there-
    I finally manged to upload a video of the Cafe Giveaway NF-F5M. I apologize for my rusty playing but, hey, at least the video quality isn't that bad.

If you can't tell from the video, this is just a stunning instrument.

I can't extend enough gratitude to Adrian for 1)being brash enough to give away one of these gems, 2)being so attentive about things even when it was a give away. He really made a point to get everything just right on this, and you can tell his attention to the details really comes through in the instrument.
    "Certainly was a treat to me..."

~~~2-Point Strad-O-Lin~~~Home-made Fan-fret 5-string Electric~~~

Sounds great, Dave.

Congratulations.

Blog Entries

Congratulations, Dave! What a beautiful looking and sounding mandolin!
    Oh, and the quality of your video is just remarkable. If you don't mind me asking, what type of camera did you shoot it on?
    Again, that mandolins sounds great - Enjoy it, and once more, congratulations!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

With that thin depth of field I'm guessing its a dslr of some sort. Nice looking and sounding Mando, congrats Dave and thanks for the update.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

So happy for you, Dave! Sounds and looks great : )

Ed- the camera rig was a Canon T2i EOS DSLR with an EF 50mm f/1.8 II prime lens and a Sony ECM-MS907 stereo microphone.
    "Certainly was a treat to me..."

~~~2-Point Strad-O-Lin~~~Home-made Fan-fret 5-string Electric~~~

Congratulations Dave. You got it going on Now! Whoo Hooou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW a used Northfield NF-5M just went up on consignment at Elderly's. See here

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    BTW a used Northfield NF-5M just went up on consignment at Elderly's. See here
    That one has a beautiful flamed back on it for sure.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

In reference to the Big Mon model, the video does sound awesome. My question is, "Is it necessary to increase the size of the instrument to get that beefier low end tone?" There are, no doubt, mandolins that have more power in the bottom end that are of normal size specs. Is it just the wood and tap tuning that does it?
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

I'm on the fence about ordering a Big Mon and wondering why a Northfield is on consignment already, I too thought the video sounded great,the player has a lot to do with it also.

Quote Originally Posted by ll144 View Post
    I'm on the fence about ordering a Big Mon and wondering why a Northfield is on consignment already, I too thought the video sounded great,the player has a lot to do with it also.
    I am sure the reason for selling would be similar to just about any mandolin you see for sale there, or here: unexpected need for cash, not what the owner is looking for, fell victim to MAS etc. This may not be 'the one' for the seller, but may very well be the one for someone else. For those who are already in line for one, this may be a chance to jump the line so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    In reference to the Big Mon model, the video does sound awesome. My question is, "Is it necessary to increase the size of the instrument to get that beefier low end tone?" There are, no doubt, mandolins that have more power in the bottom end that are of normal size specs. Is it just the wood and tap tuning that does it?
    I too was thinking this last night as I was perusing the Northfield website. It also reminds me how the KM-1500 is also made with a slightly deeper body than the KM-1000. Does anyone know how does the depth stack up to a typical Loar?

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    I too was thinking this last night as I was perusing the Northfield website. It also reminds me how the KM-1500 is also made with a slightly deeper body than the KM-1000. Does anyone know how does the depth stack up to a typical Loar?
    Your brain is working like mine. I've been looking at the 1500 for a long time. Then I saw these Northfields. Not super close in price, but a used Northfield down the road would be a better option.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

I got in line in early February. At the time I was 7th in line for a modern spec Northfield and I'm looking at an 8 month wait. I guess buiness is starting to boom! Wonder how long the pricing will stay so low? Does anyone know what the # of the last intrument was?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosummers View Post
    I got in line in early February. At the time I was 7th in line for a modern spec Northfield and I'm looking at an 8 month wait. I guess buiness is starting to boom! Wonder how long the pricing will stay so low? Does anyone know what the # of the last intrument was?
    I'm expecting a modern spec Northfield in the next few weeks. When I get it I will let you know which number it is. I was 3rd in line back on Jan. 4th.

Hi Everyone. Our current order list for new instruments takes us through July 2011. Orders placed now will be delivered starting in August. Not quite 8 months, but the wait is getting longer.

Mandosummers: If you'd like to contact me directly I can get you a more concrete delivery date for your F5.

Thanks,
    Adrian
    www.northfieldmandolins.com

Mine came in today! I have only been playing it for about an hour but I can tell it is a really great instrument! I'll post some pics soon.

Looks and sounds like an excellent mandolin. Way out of my price league and I assume from some of the comments there must be very limited production of these Mandos.
    Kentucky KM 1000
    '68 Martin D-28
    '73 Martin D-18

Ok... Harry. Take a break long enough to let the rest of us waiting in breathless anticipation know a little more about what it sounds like. LOL!

haha ok. It has been totally blowing me away! I knew they were fantastic mandos but have never played one long enough to know just how great they really are. In my humble opinion you can't get a mando this quality without shelling out at least $8,000. I'm gonna try to get a video up soon. I'll post it when I do.

Has anyone selected the option to upgrade to premium woods on Northfield mandos? Wonder how much the premo woods impact tone? Worth the $1000?

I would welcome the opportunity to test run one of these. From all I have read, seen and heard these mandos are the real deal at a players price as well. What more could one ask for? Maybe someday in my travels(dont get out much) I will come across one and draw my own conclusions. No doubt those thoughts wouldnt differ much..if at all.

Smile Re: Northfield mandolins

Has anyone played the Northfield in the Used ads at Elderly? I thought it sold immediately, but when I looked this morning it was still up for sale. I hit the buy button and sure enough it was available. The saleman, said it is loud and sounds old. I hope that's what I get. He said it definately is not a "Lemon" I was concerned maybe it sold and then was returned a second time. He said no, it has never left the store. anyway, if anyone has input on how it sounds, would appreciate your observations. Thanks, to Adrian for being very patient with me and discussing many aspects of the Northfield technology, options, and descriptions of sound differences of their line up.

Sonny

When I saw that one come in that was my concern too. But as I understand the thing that makes Northfields stand out is consistency. I'd love to hear how it turns out for you. Hope you get a monster mando! Without the wait!!