Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    Gee, give someone a computer, a keyboard, and a couple of Youtube clips and they think they are an expert!
    :-)
    lol
    2012 Gibson F5 Goldrush 11/30/2012 #21119021
    1914 Gibson A #24926
    2008 Martin D-18 GE 1934 #1300194

Register Your Goldrush Here:
    https://www.facebook.com/F5Goldrush

Got to love this site, from newbs to pros all sharing the same excitement about mandos! Makes me wonder if the cafe was around back in the day who would be posting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Steffey View Post
    Dylan,

I have played one of the F-2s and I can highly recommend it. It has a wonderful balance and response as well as the quality of workmanship that Northfield mandolins are known for. There are some video clips of the F-2 being played on youtube that you can see and hear. I hope that this helps....

All the best and Happy Pickin'!

Adam Steffey
    Wow! Thanks for letting me know Adam, I think I better go and try one for sure. For some reason I'm pretty sure it won't sound quite as good when I play it

Quote Originally Posted by DylanH View Post
    Wow! Thanks for letting me know Adam, I think I better go and try one for sure. For some reason I'm pretty sure it won't sound quite as good when I play it
    Dylan,

You're more than welcome! I bet it will sound just fine!! All the best and Happy Pickin' - from one mandolin addict to another.....

Adam Steffey

FWIW, I understand the enthusiasm for a good sounding moderately priced mandolin. I had the chance to hear up close a Northfield mandolin played by Emory Lester. He also had his Heiden. Emory was very enthusiastic about the Northfield. Frankly, even though Emory made it sound great, and there were no real negatives that I could discern about the mandolins tone, it did not sound near as good as the Heiden he had. He played some licks back to back using both. He meant to show how nice the Northfield sounded. All I could think of was how much more I appreciated the Heiden's tone.

Now, I'm not going to try and tell Emory Lester what a good mandolin should sound like. In fact, Mr. Lester likely has the more discerning ear when it comes to mandolin tone. I know he was honestly impressed with the mandolin and played it in class. I think he may have used the Heiden in the concert though. Can't be sure.

BTW, if you are a professional and play your mandolin amplified via mic or p/u, all you need is a fundamentally sound mandolin. It's hard to appreciate the tone of a Gilchrist or Nugget through a sound system. I think that's why you see people like John Moore playing a Kentucky (earlier days), and these artists playing a Northfield. In the situation they are in, the Northfield is fundamentally sound enough to make good tones for amplified systems where they are eq'd.

That's what I think, anyway. I surely wouldn't turn a Northfield down. The two I played were very, very nice mandolins. Not as much tone character as either of my Daley's though. Maybe they were 'purer'... fundamentally good tone, no weak spots. But they didn't have any outstanding areas of tone that drew my interest. My Daley's have some strings / ranges that just rock your socks. Their flaws are that maybe not every range of notes have that 'knock you down' factor though the worst you can say about the 'weak' areas is that they aren't as fantastic as the best.

This from a musical hack... so keep that in mind.
    Rick in Memphis

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick Crenshaw For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The real 'problem' (if you can call it that) is that today, there are a lot of very fine mandolins around. You can bounce names around all day arguing over what "the best" is, and as we have seen many times, there are considerable differences of opinion on that topic. The way I look at it myself, based purely on my own experiences over the years, is that once you get into those $4K+ instruments (coincidentally also the price point of a basic Daley F-style), there is a lot of hair-splitting going on. Exclude the odd 'less than average' example from this... as we also all know, individual instruments vary, and within any brand/maker there are going to be some better and worse than others. This occurs at every single price point, right up to $200K vintage examples. However, generally speaking, once you go into that $4K-$6K range unless you are very unlucky indeed, you should certainly get a very fine instrument that is capable of recording and performance use to pretty exacting standards. As to how much "better" a $10K or $15K instrument is over these is... well, sometimes you might prefer them, sometimes not. Insofar as Northfield's are concerned, I can go by very limited experience. I tried one under less than ideal conditions and was moderately impressed. Enough to "give it a go" when the chance of a Big Mon with various upgrades came along. I can't really, therefore know how representative the one I have is... but I can say it certainly does not require an EQ'd PA to make a "good tone"! It compares very, very well to a whole range of other very respected mandolins right up to the $10K price point, and beyond in some cases. How good is good enough? I can't answer for anyone else, but this particular Big Mon (which I believe sells for around $5K now with the options this one has), is one heck of a good mandolin, to the extent you really find yourself hard pressed to say which is definitely "better" when you have it lined up right alongside a whole bunch of top names, some costing more than twice the price. That's my take on it, anyway.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Been following this thread for a while. I feel these last two posts finally hit the nail on the head. With the possible exception of a new build by one of a few select small shop masters, (it seems a miracle to me how they do it) a buyer is always going to do best to try out, one at a time, an assortment of mandolins, before laying down the money. I do believe that, starting at a certain price/point, ($1500...?), and taking your time about it, a buyer is bound to find a foreign build that matches the best from a small shop.

Brand Loyalty is a complicated human behavior. We all display some preference for brand X over brand Y. Those few who take their own brand preference public, with either product or money exchanged, are involved in advertising. No matter how else the relationship gets couched.

If I am in the market for a mandolin, and if I feel certain I will be most happy with brand X, I still do best to play a bunch of them. Some of that bunch of Brand X are going to tickle my ears. And some will not.

At the start of this thread, I wanted to know the terms of the relationship between Northfield and Adam Steffey. Then I imagined the obvious: Adam playing and rejecting many Northfields before he found his one keeper. I also imagined Northfield's staff proactively editing a larger assortment beforehand. In that context, I no longer care about the terms.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Been following this thread for a while. I feel these last two posts finally hit the nail on the head. With the possible exception of a new build by one of a few select small shop masters, (it seems a miracle to me how they do it) a buyer is always going to do best to try out, one at a time, an assortment of mandolins, before laying down the money. I do believe that, starting at a certain price/point, ($1500...?), and taking your time about it, a buyer is bound to find a foreign build that matches the best from a small shop.

Brand Loyalty is a complicated human behavior. We all display some preference for brand X over brand Y. Those few who take their own brand preference public, with either product or money exchanged, it becomes advertising. No matter how else it gets couched.

If I am in the market for a mandolin, and if I feel certain I will be most happy with brand X, I still do best to play a bunch of them. Some of that bunch of Brand X are going to tickle my ears. And some will not.

At the start of this thread, I wanted to know the terms of the relationship between Northfield and Adam Steffey. Then I imagined the obvious: Adam playing and rejecting many Northfields before he found his one keeper. I also imagined Northfield's staff proactively editing a larger assortment beforehand. In that context, I no longer care about the terms.
    Jim,

Actually, there are no set "terms" of my relationship with Northfield mandolins. I am certainly not under ANY type of contract or agreement of any sort. I play these mandolins because I like the sound, response, intonation, as well as the fit and finish. There are certainly a LOT of terrific instruments out there. It's a completely subjective decision as to what one considers an ideal instrument. Adrian Bagale and all the folks with Northfield are a pleasure to work with. The passion that they have for the instruments they are building is really contagious. They haven't put me under any obligation to play their instruments exclusively at all. I didn't play through a bunch of their mandolins before choosing the one I have. Adrian happened to have a couple that weren't spoken for and that was how I acquired my Big Mon.

With all that being said, I also have a terrific MT2-V model Collings that I love to play as well. It's a beautiful mandolin with a wider neck that makes playing it a dream. Along with these, I have a Wayne Henderson A model that I love as well. I switch out as my mood fancies on any given day, trip out on the road, or for a recording session. Sometimes I just really want that F-5 punch that the Northfield's provide, and other times I like the feel, tone, and response of the Collings. My point in all of this is to say that I play whatever mandolin I want to, without being obligated to any maker or builder. It has been well documented that I am a mandolin addict. I would have one of every make and model if I could. I just love the instrument and all the different voices that they can have.

There are a whole bunch of wonderful builders out there and I feel that everyone can find that perfect fit for their budget and taste. Northfield is a great option, but so are Collings, Ellis, etc., etc.,.... It's the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction that you have in finding the one that speaks to you. Even if it's only to you. You'll know it when you hear it, regardless of the name on the peg head.

All the best to everyone and Happy Pickin'!!!

Adam Steffey

11. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Adam Steffey For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Here is a sound sample of my Northfield F5. No EQ, or effects of any kind.

04 Watson Blues 1.mp3

I wish it were simpler to post audio on this forum. Youtube is EZ audio is a hassle.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Don Julin For This Useful Post:

Adam and Don,
    Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedules. I can only imagine the schedules you keep.
    The kindness in your posting here is greatly appreciated. Your posts are insightful, and quite helpful to us who haven't been able to play as many instruments as yourselves.
    Thank you too for all you contribute to the world of mandolin music. It is a joy to hear your works, and fun to hear that your liking for the Northfields is genuine. It gives a man pause when considering which will be his next instrument to care for in the future.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Blog Entries

That sounds really nice Don. What is the top wood?
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Jasona, thanks. The top wood is red spruce.

Blog Entries

Interesting! It sounds like it as a little more overtones than your Stanley, which has strong fundamentals to my ear. Is this fair or is it a reflection of the newness of the Northfield?
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Good observation! The Stanley (which I no longer own) did have more fundamental vs the Northfield. The only issue I had with the Stanley was in order to get it to it's sweet spot you had to play it fairly hard. I play with a lighter touch. The Northfield responds well to a lighter touch. I have had this Northfield for about 2 yrs. To many peoples surprise, I have been playing in a bluegrass duo and the Northfield seems to fit my needs for that style of music. Here is a video shot at a local cable access TV station. The audio for this video was captured with a zoom H4n. No eq, effects, or re-balancing was used.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Don Julin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

It definitely doesn't struggle to be heard, even with a light touch. I'm really impressed.

That's one of my favourite tunes too. Nice way to start the day! Thanks for this
    Jason Anderson

I'm glad my comments prompted a change in the drift of this conversation.

To both you guys, Adam and Don, thanks for responding, and speaking sincerely to the issues that have been lingering behind this thread.

I hope to try out a Northfield some day.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

No financial interest here. Just saw tis up for sale and recognized it. Ive played [and recorded] with this mandolin and its a great mandolin if someones looking for a northfield. http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/64536

Actually "I think" Steffey cut a few with it on the "One More For the Road" album.

I've been really enjoying my F2S. I changed out the strings for FW74s and it's really pleasant. I might experiment with other flatwound strings since I think it has plenty of volume, at least for the Irish Trad music I like to play.

I've had my Northfield for about a year and a half now, and it's really opening up well. I thought I would post a clip.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Witty For This Useful Post:

Michael here from Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. For those interested, we put together a video product demonstration with Northfield focusing on their excellent standard series mandolins. Specifically, this video showcases the F5SG and the F2S.

For a basic rundown of the mandolins, sound samples and plenty of glamour shots, check out the video:

Thanks!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MichaelE For This Useful Post:

See and hear Aaron Ramsey, of Mountain Heart, showcasing his Northfield mandolin at Merlefest today. He will also be including in today's Mando Mania at the Creekside stage in the mid afternoon. Catch me (proud Pop) standing in the wings, watching and listening.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julin View Post
    Here is a video shot at a local cable access TV station. The audio for this video was captured with a zoom H4n. No eq, effects, or re-balancing was used.
    Don, that was really nicely done! Thanks for sharing it.

31. The following members say thank you to californiajed for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Steffey View Post
    Dylan,

You're more than welcome! I bet it will sound just fine!! All the best and Happy Pickin' - from one mandolin addict to another.....

Adam Steffey
    Hey Adam,
    I know it took a while but I finally got the money together and bought a Northfield F2S with a sunburst finish. It's a beauty and a beast! Thanks for recommending it and I wanted you to know I just bought The Boxcars new album "It's Just a Road" from itunes and it is an absolutely incredible album!
    Everyone should buy one. Cheers!

Dylan

I'm really liking my F2s blacktop. It's opening up well and sounds great with flatwound strings. The tuners are silky smooth and it holds a tune really well. Very pleased.