Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand Made/Small Builder Mandolins that punch above their weight?

Default Re: Hand Made/Small Builder Mandolins that punch above their weig

I commented on my Daleys because the OP mentioned them.

I have played Ellis mandolins that were good but the heavens didn't open up for me. I can say that I have played Silver Angel mandolins. Some were really really good, an economando model specifically was fine. I have played several Skip Kelley mandolins that were very, very good as well. Both of those seem good bets for price/tone ratio. I've played Kimbles and Red Diamonds that were unbelievably good. If the mandolins that I like are not on your list, too bad. Try getting a Kimble or Red Diamond F model for under $5K.

If I comment on my Daleys it is because I have two and know them. I have heard other mandolins that I like as well, or even better (not many) and most of them are much more money. But Sim builds very Gibson/Loarish sounding mandolins. You may prefer a different tone. For example, I have played many Collings mandolins and there was one particular, early A model that I loved, but I just don't think they are my cup of tea as a rule. Others have the opposite opinion. Chocolate and vanilla.

The guy asked for opinions. I gave mine. You and he can discount it as just an opinion all you like.
    Rick in Memphis

One thing that happens with people (very much including me) is that they don't all have wide experience and they tend to gush about the thing they know that they like best. Mandolin owners don't all get to play Ellis or Red Diamond or Monteleone products, but they do get to hear Gibson or Weber or <whatever-they-happen-to-own> instruments just because that's what is available to them. So I'd consider it only reasonable for all mandolin owners to be enthusiastic about sharing their own favorite mandolins' makers with me. Where you learn is when you ask what they were looking for in comparisons and just exactly -which- comparisons they have actually made. That information takes longer to obtain because you have to ask precisely.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

I wonder if people actually read a whole thread before responding. I'm thinking probably not.......

The OP and I both own a Heiden A5. So I'm not just recommending what I own. He already has one. I'm using a common point of reference that we both have. My point was that trying to find an F5 that was close in tone and quality to his current A5 for HALF the price of the A5 was going to be difficult at best.

....unless his current A5 was overpriced.

You may want to check out the Hester A model. I think that it's in your price range. She builds great A's and F's. At some point her instruments will go the way of Heiden, Red Diamond, Dude's, etc. Her reputation has been growing over the last couple years.

Buy what I have!

<yawn>
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

I'm grateful for everyone's opinions, and I'm short listing Daleys and Mclanahans so far, mostly because of your words. I just wish we could all meet for a pint and exchange mandolins to make the most educated decisions. Or if I win the lotto I'll buy one of each. Don't think I wouldn't!

Man, it's fun to watch everyone get into a p&$#ing contest over their mandolins and their ears! Dang, I love this forum. I love my Heiden A for it's lush, harmonic and open but focussed sound. Now I want that other sound, the strong on the fundamental, quick to respond sound, and y'all have been expanding my mind wonderfully. When not touring and producing I teach critical thinking and philosophy so I'm quite happy to read all contributions with a charitable and grateful recognition of personal bias. That's what makes the posts useful really.

Scapier, I think you and I are on the same page. I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape. I'll be doing a mando tasting event after the first of the year and everyone is welcome. It takes a lot of experience to be able to appreciate a fine instrument. There have been many fellow cafe members that have been more than kind in letting me gain experience through playing their instruments and I like to do the same. What's more fun than a group of mando nuts sitting around jamming and swapping instruments?

Jon Z......Nice troll.....try a little more bait....

Quote Originally Posted by scapier View Post
    Now I want that other sound, the strong on the fundamental, quick to respond sound, and y'all have been expanding my mind wonderfully. .
    If that is what you are after, it is what the Stanley's are known for. My Collings approaches the sound that you describe for the Heiden whereas the Stanley is much more old school, real strong fundamental and extremely quick in its response. BTW, I played an A style Heiden in Vancouver a few years ago that was one of the most beautiful sounding instruments that I ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by scapier View Post
    I'm grateful for everyone's opinions, and I'm short listing Daleys and Mclanahans so far, mostly because of your words. I just wish we could all meet for a pint and exchange mandolins to make the most educated decisions. Or if I win the lotto I'll buy one of each. Don't think I wouldn't!
    I'm not putting McClanahans down--I ordered one--but I don't think anyone who mentioned them, except Jonathan himself, has actually played one yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biorkman View Post
    Buy what I have!

<yawn>
    I bought what you had !

And i'd like to add i don't think there is just the ' one " mandolin. I have a few and do recordings and sometimes an instrument responds favourably at the time sometimes not. Too many variables. Many's a time that the cheaper ones respond better on one take and not on the next. Sometimes it's obvious that the more expensive one sounds superior sometimes not.. Either way they are mandolins. don'tcha just love it !

I think this might be the ticket, I don't own one but if I were going to buy another mandolin this would be it http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...5.230337929243
    Will builds one of the best mandolins on the planet. This is the first run of 2 point mandolins he's done in awhile. I think if you could own a Heiden and a Kimble you could just sit back and laugh while everyone else scrambles to find "the" mandolin. If you want I could run over to Will's place and test drive them for you I would think you'd be safe to just put your name on one and trust it would be mind blowing

I'll bet those 2 point mandos will be outstanding, I just have a bit of scroll envy going on as well.

This thread is an example of why I don't post often at the Cafe. I'm getting to where I don't drop in much either.
    Rick in Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Crenshaw View Post
    The guy asked for opinions. I gave mine. You and he can discount it as just an opinion all you like.
    This could be said of all the comments in this thread. I don't think you will find universal acceptance of your opinions, nor opinions that you always agree with, anywhere on the internet.

The OP is asking people for recommendations about builders in a certain price range. It is to be expected that people who have bought mandolins in that price range that they are happy with will post about it.

I once posted a thread with a similar question. It had the usual "buy what I have", jokes, banter, etc. But it also exposed me to builders that I otherwise would not have considered. It served its purpose. I think this thread has provided the same for the OP, as well as food for thought on the price/value equation.

I'm sure the OP is a big boy who can take it all in and make up his own mind.

Call Pete Hart he builds Buckeye mandolins. Pete only builds 5-6 a year but they are well worth the wait.
    Rob Tebworth

www.tebworthbrothers.com

Gibson MM
    #73 BRW Varnish F

I find it amusing that anyone would recommend a mandolin that he has never even heard. (That the mandolin may be excellent is not the point).

I pointed that out myself. I wasn't so much recommending McClanahan as explaining how I used a similar thread to learn about builders and make my choice, and what factors I based my choice on. I was right up front that I liked the pictures, and the sound clip, and Jonathan's experience, but I haven't played a McClanahan yet.

No one will ever have a chance to play a mandolin they are having built, before they have it built. They will be basing their decision on reputation, recommendations, and maybe other models they have played by that builder. There is nothing wrong with the "only buy an instrument you have actually played" approach. But with the smaller builders, having a chance to play instruments they have built is pretty rare, so you would end up having to exclude a lot of potentially great instruments from consideration. No one is going to get to play all of the instruments mentioned in this tread side by side.

Like I said, a 100% satisfaction guarantee eases my mind. In the end, I will be buying a mandolin that I have played.

If the OP wants to wait, I'll give him the full report in January.
    Last edited by JonZ; Oct-24-2010 at 4:02pm.

Well actually if you're happy with an A model you could get an Ellis under $5,000...and that would be decidedly at the top level.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    Well actually if you're happy with an A model you could get an Ellis under $5,000...and that would be decidedly at the top level.
    Old Wave A at $2600. Mowry at $4000.

John Gathright makes a nice F5 mandolin in your price range. Strong on the fundamental with a healthy bottom end. He doesn't advertise or have a web site so you would need to contact him directly. Again there are great and not so great mandolins by all the builders to think otherwise is deception.

I'm sure the OP is a big boy who can take it all in and make up his own mind.[/QUOTE]

I do need to lose about 40 pounds...