Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snark Tuner - SN1 v. SN2

Default Snark Tuner - SN1 v. SN2

What is the difference between SN 1 and SN 2? I saw one reference to Guitar v. Multi Instrument use but it was not explained clearly. Also perhaps one is able to work with an internal mic as well as instrument vibration and the other not?

Here is the web site: http://www.snarktuners.com/gbtuner1.html
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Snark Tuner - SN1 v. SN2

Guitar/bass pitches only SN1, Chormatic SN2.
    These are hot. We can't keep them in the store, and even schools are buying the SN2 in mutiples for their students.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I'm going to buy one. One of my Intelli's bit the dust recently - I stepped on it! Going to try one of these for sake of variety.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I couldn't agree more Ted, even my little shop can't keep these on the shelf, they are a great little tuner for the money.

I bought one (SN2) for a pal's b-day present and am dead jealous of it - planning to get one for meself soon!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I'm still a little confused about the difference between the two models - this fellow indicates that both models are chromatic and work on all instruments and that the SN 2 model has a mic in addition to the piezo sensor???
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I have the SN-1 and I have to say it's the best clip on I've used. The back light is good I have noticed that I have trouble getting a defined picture at some angles, but it's fast and it's accurate. I also like that its blue I've had a couple of my black clip ons walk off this thing stands out in a crowd.

I got an SN-2 from Elderly a few months back. At the time, the price difference between the SN-1 and the SN-2 was inconsequential, so I went for the SN-2. I can't speak for the SN-1, but the SN-2 works great, esp. given the cost. Pretty bright display, even in sunlight.
    -Patrick

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity.'' -Dave Barry

The blue one is designed primarily for guitar but will work for mandolin and bass. The red is fully chromatic and has a metronome (a flashing light) in it. I hate the color but I have a red one and think it is great! If you are OCD about being in tune, this is the baby for you!
    raulb

c. '37 Dobro mandolin
    '53 Martin Style A
    '78 Ibanez 524 F-style
    '98 Graham McDonald guitar body bouzouki
    '08 Trinity College TM-275 Mandola

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are. --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

I have a new Snark too and really enjoy it. What I think I like most about it is that it seems to pick-up just fine the notes on my mando and guitars -- and I especially like the fact that I can position the display right under the underside of my headstock, looking right at me at the absolute perfect angle, and its display is compact yet bright and very easy to read. Just wish it weren't made in China....

The SN2 does have a microphone so you can tune without the tuner being clipped to the instrument. The tap-tempo metronome is actually useful as well.

I like mine quite a bit. It hears all the strings on the mandolin and on the guitar very well, and responds quickly. I know that some have said it is not accurate, but I have not found that to be the case.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

Help me out here. "Chromatic" means it hears all the notes? So if I had one clipped to my fiddle, I could check my intonation on the fly? If so, I want one!

I have the SN2 and my bandmates are jealous.....

I received my sn2 the other day. I have had a lot of tuners in my day. This is a really nice tuner. It is the first one I have ever owned that picks up the low E on an acoustic guitar consistently.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I recently bought the SN1 for a Chinese-made F style mando I have. The SN1 works fine: clearly & accurately shows the note and whether it's sharp or flat. The LED is very clear and the response is quick. After years of using Boss pedal tuners with electric guitars on rock band gigs, this is my first clip-on style tuner and so far so good.

Walt, the answer is yes. "Chromatic" means it'll identify all twelve tones in a chromatic scale. So if you want to check how accurate your intonation is when you play an E flat, for example, this will do it.

I've got it on my wish list. Let the TAD begin!

Mandolin Cafe comes through again! A banjo player handed me his red Snark yesterday. It was so much more sensitive than my "good" clip on. Tuned the mandolin better than by ear. I'm sold. Didn't know there are two models, so thanks again guys and girls.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

I resisted the urge to have the clip-on accessory on my mandolin.
    I just borrowed someone else's at a jam. But I tried a Red Snark and I really liked it. Bought one, love it. But I won't keep it on the peg-head as mandolin jewelry!!!

Ditto, all the way.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Get a red one, and you can tune anything. I actually like the red color: it's easy to find
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I have a red one AND a blue one. They ARE BOTH chromatic..Both have "metronomes"
    Differences:
    Red one has a built in microphone if you don't want to clip it on (a little switch to toggle between mic and piezoelectric) Blue one doesn't.

Blue
    one has "capo" feature. i.e. if you capo the second fret of you guitar (not mando, because capos are not allowed on mandos..jk..jk...) then you tap a 'lil button twice...now when you hit you capoed top string..instead of reading F#, it would still read E...third fret capo.hit button 3 times .instead of G it would still read E.
    Kinda' useful in a small way with transposing I guesss...i don't know...

BUT either on is chromatic, and either works great on Mandolins, Guitars, etc..(I even clipped one to the metal bars where my tuners are on my Pedal steel... worked great!)

Quote Originally Posted by walt33 View Post
    Help me out here. "Chromatic" means it hears all the notes? So if I had one clipped to my fiddle, I could check my intonation on the fly? If so, I want one!
    Exactly...that was why I clipped one to the head of my Pedal Steel...to check intonation on the fly during practice...worked fine.

My red Snark is my favorite tuner~
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

I just bought three of the red ones, so I could have one in each case compartment for the instruments I play out with regularly. I found them to have fast note detection across a wide spectrum (mandolin/tenor banjo/bass guitar) exceptional accuracy, a bright, easy to read display and a great price, backed up with good customer service.