Thread: Davis flattop mandolin

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Dear NG,

Following up on Scott's link to the Davis Flattop mandolin, I noticed the wood grain on the back (click here). What is the cut on this wood? Is it laminated, slab cut, quartersawn, etc.? It doesn't have a book-matched look, but then again it is a photo - not the real thing.

I am somewhat intregued about this mandolin and look forward to getting a report. Maybe one day. . . . .

fatt-dad
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I believe that would be slab cut, but Bruce can give a more authoritative answer.
    Bob DeVellis

Can't tell you how the wood was cut but I believe it has a #solid back. To be honest, I was not paying much attention to the back as I was having too much fun playing it #An incredible instrument. The tone is soooo sweet and the workmanship is typical Bill Davis style - flawless. Elegant simplicity would be a way to describe this flat top.

Check the comments Scott made about this Flat top on the Davis F5 thread:Davis F5

Pickin,

you are bad for MAS. I just bought the Davis flattop #22 from Mass Street. Between your good comments and Scott's, it sounded too good to pass up. This should make a great travel mandolin!

jjboone101-

I should be on the Mass Street Payroll

Seriously though, that is one sweet Mandolin! Come back with a full report once you get ahold of it - or if you have it now, when your fingers need a rest.

Those flat tops were darn nice mandos. Can't imagine anyone buying one of these Pac Rim instruments when you can have a Davis for under $900. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Shaun

I have two flat-top mandolins (not counting the plywood Montana). Both are pancake styles - Flatiron 1N and the Kalamazoo KM-11 (I think that is right). Here is what I wonder - is there a difference in the tone of the pancake-style flat-top mandoins and the Davis/Mid-Mo style mandolins?

I'm just looking for anything I can come up with to need another mandolin - ha.

fatt-dad

"I believe that would be slab cut, but Bruce can give a more authoritative answer. "

Not really...
    You nailed it, Bob...

I kind of thought that may be the case, but wasn't sure. I wonder if that is the normal construction or the piece that was on hand. (Is it typical for walnut to be on the slab cut?) Thanks.

f-d

FD-

I have a 96 Flatiron 1N Mandolin that I really enjoy playing. We need to bring back that thread - Ha!

As much as I like this little picker, I'd trade it in a heartbeat for the Davis Flat top. The Davis has more punch, more clarity, more sustain and a sweeter tone. The workmanship is flawless.

If I could, I would

How does the Davis Flat top compare to the Mid-Mo? I was getting ready to get rid of my Morgan Monroe and purchase a Mid-Mo any advice would be appreciated.

Kent
    "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Col. 3:23

Black's Web Works

Does anyone else think that the photo looks alot more like cherry than walnut?

My Flatiron 1N sounds better than any Mid-Mo's I've played. The Davis Flat top at Mass Street sounded much better than my 1N.

I like the Mid Mo's alot but they don't compare to the Davis flat top.

Just got my Davis flattop mandolin delivered today (#22) from Mass Street Music. Wow. Pretty remarkable work for under a grand. Craftmanship is top notch. The sound is very, very clear and punchy. Fretboard is comfortable and easy to play. Just a really nice overall mandolin. I've owned a Mid-Missouri in the past and while those are nice instruments at about half the price, Davis has created a really fantastic instrument at an attractive price point. Just my humble opinion; no financial interest, etc.

These look great!

Do they have enough volume to be heard with other instruments? I know its not as loud as an archtop, but is it close?

bob

I think it is suprisingly loud. Very nice ringing tone and good projection. Best bet is to find one to play and hear for yourself...

[QUOTE]Do they have enough volume to be heard with other instruments?

I consider my Flatiron 1N to have very good volume. The Davis Flat top certainly outshines my 1N in volume and in clarity. Each note is crystal clear.

The cafe boss said the Davis Flat top is the best choice of quality mandolins on *the* market in the under $1K range.

I'll second that!