Thread: Mandolin Duets?

Question Mandolin Duets?

Hi,

I'm not finding what I want by doing the usual searches. Can anyone recommend a good book of mandolin duets? Maybe some two-part Bach?

Or... do violin duets transfer well? Can anyone suggest something? I'm still sort of beginner but I can read and some guitar chops that transfer.

I have a former classical guitar teacher who has been playing mandolin. I've been playing mine a bit more and was thinking it might be fun/educational to try to play some duets with him.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Default Re: Mandolin Duets?

There are quite a few on the Mutopia site to start.

I also have a few Italian and turn of the last century American parlor pieces here.

Also: John Goodin has a few duets here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim! Good places to start!

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Mozart's "Der Spiegel" is a great piece to play and a great conversation piece as well. Also, you save money on sheet music, as you only need one sheet for both mandolinists! (It doesn't work in tab, though)
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

If you read music, you could try "Easy Baroque Duets for Violin". You can also download a free pdf of "Fifty Menuets for two Mandolins by Telemann" at http://www.contratopia.com/mtopia/mandolinPD2.htm (the last link on the page).

demotlj: the fifty Menuets are on that same John Goodin site I mentioned above. That is two votes for that site
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I have played some Mozart reversable cannons with another mandolin, and with a violin. The two mandolin approach really can sound great, and brings out aspects of the cannons, some of the "fun" and "playfullness", that the mandolin/violin duet doesn't, to my ears.

I would be intested in what folks have done playing mandolin duets, classical or not. I play regularly with another mandolin player, and here are some ideas I have found to be effective:

Two mandolins with distinctly different but complimentary sounds, so you can clearly hear the two voices.

Two mandolins with different strengths, so the "choppy" one can provide backup while the other provides melody.

Two mandolins that sound similar, one playing melody and the other playing a harmony part. There are a few tune books for pipers that give melody and harmony parts, and when the two mandolins have similar voices, it can sound really wonderful, like one very complex instrument. I have also attempted duplicating vocal harmonies on melody - like playing Louvin Brothers songs on two mandolins with their vocal harmonies (as best I can figure out).

Its also fun to have unison mandolins. Sort of like the double fiddles you hear in Western Swing.

But I might have a predjudice here, thinking that the only thing better than one madolin is two mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

When my wife was studying flute she had a couple of books of flute duets. She played the higher part, me the lower. Some pieces were good enough to stand alone.
    Dennis Ladd

I have been trying to open the pdf link to the 50 menuets by Telleman and it will not open on any device. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    I have been trying to open the pdf link to the 50 menuets by Telleman and it will not open on any device. Any suggestions?
    That is a site that was owned by John Goodin who passed away recently, so likely the site is no long operational. I think these duets might be available in his book sold by MelBay.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thank you

You mentioned Bach. You might enjoy this:

Attachment 198027

Edit: Oh, sorry! I was replying to the 2010 OP. I have to learn to look at the dates ...
    Last edited by Joe Bartl; Dec-09-2021 at 5:13pm.

I know this is an old thread, but Mike Marshall has some duet books out from the CDs that he and his wife, Caterina Lichtenberg, have released. I've got the JS Bach one (in stock at Elderly, notation version, but there's a tab version, as well). Going to keep me busy for some time...

Name:  zombie-icon.png
Views: 587
Size:  26.6 KB
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Telemann's Gulliver Suite would be a good one.