Thread: Your Winfield Tornado Stories

Default Your Winfield Tornado Stories

We had an exciting time in Winfield Wednesday evening. Although no funnel touched down in the immediate area, we got hit hard by high winds, rain, and flying debris. I was on the east side up by the railroad tracks where the only trees are along the river bank. We never got the word to take cover under the grandstand. We headed for the car and watched the storm through the windshield. My neighbor stayed out to hold on to his tent, which he managed to do by wedging himself between the trees and a trailer. While he was doing that, a tent flew by, hit him, and went airborne, finally getting stuck in the trees about 100 feet away. It was 20 feet above the ground. Another friend's windshield was caved in by a flying tent pole.

My tent managed to stay up and was undamaged, but my pop-up canopy - brand new - was a mass of twisted broken debris. My neighbors and I put things back together as best we could that night and stayed up till 3:30 in the morning playing tunes in the campsite. We were so pumped on adrenaline and had to work it off somehow.

Bob

Default Re: Your Winfield Tornado Stories

Goodness, sounds like quite the time, glad you personally came away unscathed.

And surely you picked Bobby Clark's Oklahoma Twister?

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Sounds like it was a good thing I stayed home....every festival-like occurrence for me in the last year has involved 1) Rain 2) high winds 3) large hail 4) flying debris. Poor Winfield! Floods....then this...ironically, Bobby Clark was supposed to teach a mando master class up at He-Ho-Ha this fall, but had to cancel. I'm kinda choked, but what can ya do.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

As a trained storm spotter, I saw it coming and got the heck out of there well before the sirens went off. I drove south about twelve miles and then west a couple more miles, grabbed a cold beer (Modus Hoperandi IPA from Ska Brewing Company...yum) out of my cooler and sat on the hood of my truck and watched the theater. It was one of the most intense storms I have ever witnessed here in Kansas. The cloud to ground lightning strikes (or is it ground to cloud?) were off the charts in both intensity and frequency. From my vantage point I saw a wall cloud heading straight for the general area and wasn't sure if there would be a fairgrounds or a city left upon returning. The festival grounds, while torn up for sure, dodged a bullet. The positive result was there were utility poles across the adjoining railroad tracks which parallel the campgrounds so there were no trains honking their horns all night! Everybody pitched in to clean up the mess and the jamming continued later on that night.

Another eventful Walnut Valley Festival! Lots of wonderful folks and certainly a bunch of Mandolin Cafe ball caps.

Jim - the lead up to the storm was ominous indeed. Everyone was tracking it via smart phone weather radar, so we knew we were about to get hammered. I've lived in the Kansas City area my whole life and I remember when we had the big tornado in Martin City and Hickman Mills. This is the only storm I've seen since that was on that level. And yes, it was nice to have a break from the trains for a while.

Here's my before and after shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp after 1.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	62803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp before.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	62804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp after 2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	62805  

The tent looks like it's standing but that's because I raised it from it's flat state so we could get to the wet cots, bags and clothes. I did manage to get the instruments in the van before hi-tailing to the grandstand.
    We were fortunate to have friends in town who put us up for the night and dried our stuff. I went to the Ark City Wallyworld for a new Coleman and Ted brought in Coleman canopies from Wichita and we were back in party mode.

We were camped in the Pecan Grove when the tornado sirens went off and we scrambled to take down our EZ-Ups & awnings, put instrument in vehicles, and close up camp. It got really dark, the winds picked up and the rains came. There was nowhere to hide from the rain because it was being blown horizontally thru camp so we took shelter in a friend’s nearby mobile home. Watched the radar on his TV and could see that we were on the western edge of the storm. Could also make out the area where the winds were circling back into the storm…. presumably where the tornados were being spawned. Tornados reportedly touched down not too far away - just east of us. The big RV camper shook a few times as the winds and rain slammed into it but finally the storm passed. We emerged from the RV to find that our camp sustained little damage. Walking around that night it was obvious just how lucky we were. There were a lot of camps with torn tarps and twisted metal frames. Some of the camps were submerged in newly formed ponds 6” to 18” deep. We helped a few of our neighbors with their cleanup efforts and then, after everything calmed back down, we went back to our picking circles and jammed deep into the morning.
    We were so very lucky that a tornado did not touch down in the campgrounds… that would have been devastating. We reportedly did get 70 mph shear winds which I don’t doubt it as it blew over the tractor trailer behind the main stage.
    Here are a few pictures of sky just before the storm hit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3040.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	62839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3036.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	62840  

I had checked the radar at a friends camp about a half hour before the storm hit and was convinced that the worst would stay to the north and we would just get hit with a little rain. Went back to my camp north of 160 along the river and up against the grove of trees torwards the east end. The trees blocked our view of just how nasty the clouds were looking so we were caught unaware. The 80 mph winds began shooting through a little gap in the trees and catching my pop up broadside. I had both ends of my awning tied down but not the center tied down and it starting lifting it up. I jumped out and tried holding it down briefly but then lighting started hitting all around and holding onto aluminum didn't seem to be conducive to survival so I jumped back in the trailer which was really starting to shake at this point. I was trying to watch out of the screen door of my camper but the rain which was blowing straight sideways started soaking the camper. Then the awning cross pole gave way and the awning blocked my view totally. About then the sirens started going off and I knew this wasn't just a little toad strangler storm. I started getting all sorts of calls from friends. I was hoping someone could tell me if there was a tornado on the ground or not but none of them could hear me. I guess this was due to all the power being out in Winfield and AT&T must not have had a generator. About then a cop car drove through the grounds and was saying something through his PA but I couldn't hear it due to the noise of the storm and the speed he was driving to keep from getting stuck in the mud. I wanted to run to my truck and listen to the radio storm reports but there was so much stuff flying around I was scared to. Finally there was a little lull in the winds and I made it to the truck where I stayed until the storm subsided.

My campmates helped me clear the awning away and then I went to check up on some friends a couple of hundred yards away. They had one huge canopy and another carport style canopy completely destroyed. They said we're all right so give us twenty minutes to clear this away and then we're having a jam. You just can't kill that Winfield spirit!!!

We played till about 3AM and then I took a stroll around the grounds to survey the damage. Everywhere you looked there were mangled awnings and canopies and flattened tents. By the time I got up around 9AM most had already been cleaned up and hauled away. The scariest thing I saw was a tree split in half which landed right in between tents, awnings and a camper. I also saw the semi trailer behind the main stage got flipped on it's side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree-1.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	62849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree-2.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	62851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree-3.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	62852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Semi.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	62850
    GVD

Camp Gan Aninm is just across 14th street from the grounds, in the pecan grove. We buttoned everything up, and I went for a walk to see if I could help anyone. I left my camper door open, roof hatches open, several windows open. As I walked, it occured to me that if a tornado went through, the local EMS was going to need experienced volunteers to handle multiple injuries. I went to the EMS trailer and identified myself, showed him my ACLS card, told him I'd stay or go as he wished. Bout that time his tent system looked like it was fixin' to migrate, so we went out and tried to hold it, but it was hopeless. They had a very nice treatment area set up with a walled, heavy-duty easy-up, and we managed to de-tarp all of his sunshades and easy-ups so they wouldn't go to Oklahoma that night. They were dismantled as we tried to hold them in place. His radio was crackling constantly with emergency traffic. Just like old times. After the storm went through we walked to the grandstand to check with his crew (it was a superviser I was with) and the vendor area was packed. Cuts and scrapes were all that came in, so I went back to find that a camp member had closed up my camper, and it was dry. Two brothers and a sister were camped in tents just off my hitch, and sis had a lake in her tent. I helped her mop up, then suggested that she move her bed into the living room of my trailer. She spent two nights, slept well. A camp of four very charming girls from Manhattan Ks had set up in a depression just out of Gan Aninm, had spent Wed nite at a friends home because of deep water throughout. Thursday we hauled water out in buckets and trash cans, many, many gallons. Let it dry for a day or so, put down hay, almost liveable. I spent 13 days this year, shooting for more next year. Wall to wall fun, man. I found another Streamline camper in the pecan grove, a '64 twin to my '66. Very cool. Our camp had shade all day, tenor banjo, guitar, mandolin, two bases, and the very, very cool field organ. Mostly Irish jams, a little bluegrass, a little vintage hippie. Can't wait 'til '11. DO NOT forget to bring rubber boots.
    Mike Snyder

I live in New York, outside of NYC in fact. On June 24th, we had a horrible storm that lasted all of seven minutes. Everybody was convinced it was a tornado, but it was later confirmed to be a micro-burst, or down spout. Air cools, and thus drops rapidly, and fans out when it hits the ground. Our Volkswagon Rabbit was near totaled(decimated windshield, and bashed up driver side). We lost power for five days straight, and the humidity resulted in a strange asthma attack type thing, except it was gradual....Not fun.

About a week ago, there was another horrible storm in the area. This time however, there were tornados in Brooklyn and Queens. My town wasn't hit too bad, but there were trees down here and there, as opposed to the 2/3 of all the trees in the area being on the ground in June. Now, every time there's a hint of thunder, I grab my mando and put it in a nice corner, away from any window possible. Good thing that baby's insured
    "I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people."
    -Doc Watson

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."
    -Louis Armstrong

Took the last shot as the sirens were blowing. Got in the van with pillows and blankets. We were in the pecan grove and had some tents full of water, but everything was still standing. I had never seen the sky look like that.

Name:	winfield-1.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	62896

Name:	winfield-2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	62895

Name:	winfield-3.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	62894
    Mark Franzke
    Franzke String Instruments
    www.mfstrings.com

I am a Coyote Camp guy in the North Walnut Grove. We have a pretty elaborate set up each year. The storm completely flattened our entire camp. Some parts we never found again. The portable bathrooms were also blown over. We have a huge circus tent canopy that weights a couple hundred pounds that was flattened. As soon as the storm passed we got our flashlights out put the camp back together, and picked til 5am just like usual. To be honest, I was quite terrified for a bit during the storm, but after Irealized that I had survived, the jamming seeming to be extra special.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Camp Brigadoon report: As were most, we thought the storm was going due east and would miss us (just barely), by the time the sirens hit and the sky started going black there was not a whole lot of time to secure stuff. I did get the canopy rolled up on my camper and was starting to take down tarps on our camp's 2 2x10 canopies before abandoning that project. Some of our group went to the grandstands (really have to question if that was the safest place to go with the bleachers up above and the support poles going through the grandstand building), some rode it out in vehicles, we went to the south side of Walmart's brick wall. Upon return our canopies were a pile of mostly damaged parts. One reported they lifted straight up like a helicopter before flipping over on top of one our groups small campers (no significant damage). Some property damage from flying poles reported in our area east of the horse barns. Appeared that most EZ up canopies, unless taken down before the hit were destroyed. We rebuilt (kind of) one of our canopies from the parts pile and built a second smaller one out of the rest to finish the festival. No one was injured in our area and that was the important part. After a day of cleanup went back to enjoying the festival and playing on Stage 5 Saturday afternoon. Only problem after the storm was the humid heat.
    Dave

I was with Goose at Coyote Camp just north of the highway from the main gate. We have a 20'x30' jamming tent with heavy metal poles and 3' steel stakes. Having no place to escape to once the storm began we jumped in a buddy's SUV and decided to take our chances in the campground. It was quite impressive to see tents flying by. I watched our big tent withstand most of the storm until the pegs started to come loose, then it finally fell down.

As soon as the storm passed and the crew regathered, we put vehicle headlights on the big tent and had it set up again and were jamming in 45 minutes. That's the spirit!

There are several youtube videos that show what it was like. Here are a couple:

Good Lord! Glad no one was hurt! Flying debris during a hurricane can be a deadly missile!

Someone will write a song about it watch and see!

I can see from Jim Hilburn's photos that Drew's hat made it through the storm in good shape! I miss you guys. It has been too many years since I made the long journey from Michigan to Winfield. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Camp Gan Aninm is just across 14th street from the grounds, in the pecan grove.
    I just saw a video of the Carp Camp parade marching down 14th and there was a feller in the rear that looked a lot like you. Couldn't make out what instrument he was playing though. Looked like a broom to me???

Quote Originally Posted by goose 2 View Post
    I am a Coyote Camp guy in the North Walnut Grove. ...To be honest, I was quite terrified for a bit during the storm, but after I realized that I had survived, the jamming seeming to be extra special.
    I had the same experience

Quote Originally Posted by Coy Wylie View Post
    As soon as the storm passed and the crew regathered, we put vehicle headlights on the big tent and had it set up again and were jamming in 45 minutes. That's the spirit!
    Speaking of jamming I walked by your camp about 4:30 Sunday morning and you all were playing a righteous version of "Little Wing". That song was stuck in my head the rest of the night!
    GVD

"Little Wing" is a late night standard with us (as is the late,late night jam on Sat/Sun morning, no one wants to say it is over!) that can last for up to 30 minutes! I remember a guy and gal stopping by for a little while about that time. Could that have been you?

Quote Originally Posted by Coy Wylie View Post
    "Little Wing" is a late night standard with us (as is the late,late night jam on Sat/Sun morning, no one wants to say it is over!) that can last for up to 30 minutes! I remember a guy and gal stopping by for a little while about that time. Could that have been you?
    Yup that was us. It was too dark to see what everybody was playing but those were some mighty fine sounding mandolins.
    GVD

GVD, I'd be interested to know where I can find that video of the Carp Camp Parade. There was a fella using my persona around the festival to do crazy and outrageous things in several camps, and I'd like to track him down. Just won't do to have my calm, dignified reputation sullied by the acts of a madman. Clearly deranged, this fellow ran amok, and must be dealt with before September 2011.
    Last edited by Mike Snyder; Sep-25-2010 at 5:52am.
    Mike Snyder

GVD, I'd be interested to know where I can find that video of the Carp Camp Parade...
    Due to some questionable language used by some other people in the video well after your appearance I decided it wouldn't be appropriate to post here so I sent to you via PM instead.

... There was a fella using my persona around the festival to do crazy and outrageous things in several camps, and I'd like to track him down. Just won't do to have my calm, dignified reputation sullied by the acts of a madman. Clearly deranged, this fellow ran amok, and must be dealt with before September 2011.
    It's amazing what one can be accused of doing at Winfield
    GVD