Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major Scale with Flat Seven?

Default Re: Major Scale with Flat Seven?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Yes, A dorian is C natural. The way I've heard the tune played, the "A" part of KG is A mixolydian (with a C#) and the "B" part is A dorian (C natural).

Of course you may play a different version...
    That's the way I've most often heard it. The B part to me sounds not unlike June Apple or Salt Creek or whatever "modal" tune you prefer. But I like the extra brightness and what I'd call "urgency" that those C#'s bring to the A part. To me that basiic "A to G" groove is kind of laid back (but insistently rhythmic) whereas the A Mixolydian isn't laid back but a little more in your face.

Or something like that. Those different modes all have their place, especially on fiddle.

As far as the term "modal" goes, I find that a lot of people use it loosely to describe a tune that doesn't fit strictly into a major or minor scale. I agree with Niles in that these are after the fact descriptions of the tunes not the rules in making them. After all, we're talking about "traditional" or even "folk" styles of music. Our forefathers didn't give a darn about music rules outside of the classical guys. I don't teach my students any music rules in this kind of stuff, just to play the notes they hear or see on the tablature.
    "If you got time to breathe, you got time for music !" - Briscoe Darling

There's a somewhat useful (if a bit academic) article on scales used in Irish traditional music here:

Link

Martin

Interesting, thank you.