Thread: Making the most of my time

Default Making the most of my time

I am having trouble finding a teacher so have been working it at myself. I love the whole process and don't mind the practice. I get up at 5 so I can spend an hour before work. so here is the question--what do you all suggest as far as practice composition to maximize the time...

right now--I spend 15 minutes on scales, 15 on crosspicking stuff, 15 on chords and 15 trying to work on melodies. I feel like it is al a little diluted but there is so much to learn....

Default Re: Making the most of my time

That's not a bad way that you are doing. You might consider learning a song or tune during the 15 min of chord and 15 min of melody practice, that way you can play the rythym and melody of some tunes when you jam.

Personally, I'd just practice crosspicking enough to know what it is and how it goes and pretty soon you will hear a tune you know it fits in. Without the crosspicking, that would give you 15 minutes on scales (and add arpeggios) and 45 minutes learning rythym and melody of tunes/songs.

I place more value on learning tunes because jamming is where the real fun is.

I agree with Earl. Earl, I agree with you, even though you do live in North Dallas, pretty wise words.

Actually the only useful thing I could add is to definitely do whatever you need to do to have fun each and every practice - that will keep you coming back. Too much dogma and you'll burn out, so mix it up. I've been playing for 9 years and wow, I'm still excited about learning more and more.

Have fun!
    Patrick

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

find some jams, go to them, write down the tunes that they play and learn those. That way when you return, you have a goal to play them up to speed, or at least know the proper chords to add to the ruckus. I've done that for years, but not bothered with the mechanical stuff, so I'm working on those darn scales. I'm using Teds FFcP (search this forum or buy his book, "getting into jazz mandolin").

It is a journey though, may as well settle in. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Thanks to all, great advice. EarlG--I am thinking the crosspicking is a little advanced for me at this level.
    Patrick, you are right, remember the fun. I started so late on the journey (47) that I feel the need to catch up.
    And Fatt-dad, there is a group in the neighborhood, a bass player and guitarist that are trying to get together and play old timey stuff. it is a blast.
    I'll keep at it and save my nickels for that Weber...

After deciding what you want to learn, schedule your practice as described here.

If this seems too difficult, you can get some benefit by moving through your practice categories throughout your practice, rather than practicing in blocks. You will also learn faster if you don't practice the same thing every day. Forgetting is the friend of learning.

Quote - " I started so late on the journey (47) " .You're a young 'un !. There's a few of us on here that began Mandolin at 60 or over. Age has nothing to do with it really,although having loved Mandolin for nearly 50 years,i wonder why i waited until i was 60 years old before i bought one. I've played BANJO for 47 of those years however.
    Your self-teaching strategy seems ok,certainly learning the chords & changes to tunes is very important,if for no other reason than that you can 'chop-along' to the tunes.
    I'm self taught on Banjo & Mandolin (& Guitar - finger picking).The way i've done it is to pick a simple tune & work out where the 'sounds' (notes) are & learn the sequence from there. Mike Compton did that himself,it's what he terms the 'hunt & peck' method.
    I use the term 'sounds',because most of us can find the 'sound' on the fingerboard that we want,without actually knowing the 'name of the note' - that will come as you learn the fingerboard.The beauty of it is,the more that you learn,helps you to learn more still - everything that you learn & understand is a step to the next level & so on,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Start learning fiddle tunes!

Lots of good advice here. If you are just starting out NOW is the time to get the basics down. I am talking about basic left and right hand technique. Right hand: Learn to hold the pick properly, basic concepts of pick direction, and how to get the most out of your wrist. (not forearm) Left hand: Learn how to support the back of the neck with your thumb and correct fingerings for the scales you are currently practicing. Use tunes (fiddle tunes are great) as a way to practice these skills. These thing are often overlooked by someone starting out without a good teacher. Practice very slowly at first. Muscle memory is for real and un-training you hands is tough. You are at the perfect time in your development to get the basics down. After that everything will fall into place much easier. Have Fun!

Very much in synch with your practice time, Spartacus. I, too, arise early and try to do 30-45 mins before heading out. I find morning time is best for me - clear head, fresh, fingers not tired.

I do a few up down scaley things, some chord bopping, then go to Tune Du Jour. Today, was Pickin' Wild Cherries, by Doyle. It changes daily.

Good luck.

Montana- what is the deal with fiddle tunes? I have several books of mandolin tunes like the parking lot pickers guide that have a lot of bluegrass and old time songs. I've noticed books of fiddle tunes but never really looked at them.

It's possible that a lot of the bluegrass and old time songs you are referring to were originally fiddle tunes. If you know some fiddle tunes, in the keys they are most commonly played in, you will have common ground with most traditional/old time/bluegrass players you might meet.

To each his own, but technical stuff like practicing scales is drudgery to me. It feels like work and I do enough of that. When I sit down with an instrument, I want it to be play-time, not work-time. I find that when I am actually getting better, it is because I'm playing what I enjoy over and over again. You cannot do things over and over again without getting better. In my view, unless you are training to be a concert mandolinist or trying hard to get into the strictly classical tradition, just play what you like and you will improve. Do a Google search for Allan Alexander's blog; he talks about this in detail and I recommend his perspective on the matter.